BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my girlfriend has a new D Link router installed at her apartment. The password she thought was hers, doesn't allow me in, nor anybody else, that is her son, or her kindle. Her laptop does have wireless access.

So I hooked my laptop with a cat 5 to the router. HOW do I read the password or set a new one. I do NOT want her to lose her wireless conectivity due to my ignorance. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Zipoda whetzibert whatza a thrattle did did a whit link.:eek: :huh: you know what I'm sayin? ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
You should be able to reset the router admin password and other settings to the factory defaults by straightening out a paperclip and inserting it in the hole labeled reset, to depress the reset button. You should then be able to access the router to change the password and settings.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should be able to reset the router admin password and other settings to the factory defaults by straightening out a paperclip and inserting it in the hole labeled reset, to depress the reset button. You should then be able to access the router to change the password and settings.
I fear that it might reset the 'settings' and she lose het current connectivity. She has a stubborn Modum......

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hold the reset button in w/a paper clip. Once the DLAN light stops blinking the unit is reset.

Step 1 Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the wireless router in the address bar (default is 192.168.0.1). Press Enter
Step 2 The username is admin and the default password is blank (nothing). Click OK.
Step 3 Click the Tools tab and then click Admin to the left.
Step 4 To change the administrative password, enter a new password in the Admin section.

To change the user password, enter a new password in the User section.
Step 5 Click Apply then click Continue to save the settings.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hold the reset button in w/a paper clip. Once the DLAN light stops blinking the unit is reset.

Step 1 Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the wireless router in the address bar (default is 192.168.0.1). Press Enter
Step 2 The username is admin and the default password is blank (nothing). Click OK.
Step 3 Click the Tools tab and then click Admin to the left.
Step 4 To change the administrative password, enter a new password in the Admin section.

To change the user password, enter a new password in the User section.
Step 5 Click Apply then click Continue to save the settings.
Step 6. Buy a new Router!:D

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
Did I log onto thwe wrong site? I thought this was a fishing forum, not geek squad!
If someone needs help with something other then fishing and one of us can help, some of us will try and help a fellow fisherman out. It's one of the things i really like about this place.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You may be able to find out the network security key by using the laptop and checking the properties of the working connection. Once you have the key, you can try to connect to the router and then enter that key. Doing that, you won't have to reset the router.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Sorry Dave, I just saw this now. If you're still around/awake, give me a call.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If someone needs help with something other then fishing and one of us can help, some of us will try and help a fellow fisherman out. It's one of the things i really like about this place.
I want to help others whenever I can also. And I love the wealth of information on this site. But this is a fishing site! If I have a fishing question I don't go to my diesel forum! I come to the barn to look for help. I hope this guy finds the fix to his problem but this isn't the place. I'm not trying to be a dick, just want to keep this awesome site about fishing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
pressing the reset button quickly will reboot the router. Unplugging and holding the reset button for 10-15 seconds will do a hard reset, restoring the router to default settings allow one to access the router setup menu with the default admin and pass word settings.

Unfortunately, if she cannot remember the admin username and password, a hard reset may be in order. You would then have to reconfigure the router settings in order to restore internet access.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I want to help others whenever I can also. And I love the wealth of information on this site. But this is a fishing site! If I have a fishing question I don't go to my diesel forum! I come to the barn to look for help. I hope this guy finds the fix to his problem but this isn't the place. I'm not trying to be a dick, just want to keep this awesome site about fishing.
Dave either meant to put this in the Dry Dock (where such topics are welcome!!!) or he threw it up here knowing this is where I hang out.

Either way, if you can't help, just ignore it.

Happy happy joy joy, yes? :thumbsup:

PS - The mods will almost certainly move this thread to the Dry Dock when they see it.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Guys, the issue with just blindly resetting this thing to factory defaults is that there is a very real chance that the gf WILL lose internet connectivity.

We don't know how her laptop is configured to access the router. Is it using encryption? Is it trying to send a password? All that gets lost with a factory reset.

Is it blindly connecting with no password or encryption key? Possible, it happens all the time, but remember, somone went through the effort to put a password on this router. So what did they do to the laptop while they were at it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts