BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am intrested in learning how spear fish sounds like a good challenge and fun challenge at that i am a good swimmer and diver so tat should help i guess...i need to know what i should use from gun...to...tips the whole 9 yrds. all help appreciated...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Go to Leisurepro.com and look at their spear guns. Get something with at least 2 bands and the longer the shaft the better.

This is a good choice. JBL Explorer.

Also, you might be able to get one on ebay cheaper and replace the bands because they do dry rot. They are about 10 bucks.

Any wreck is fine if you are diving. You can try the jetties or inlets at the top of the incoming into slack. You will have the clearest water at this time. And remember everything looks bigger under water, so if you are shooting bass, fluke or anything else with a size limit make sure before you pull the trigger.

[ 06-02-2006, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Makojoe0317 ]

·
Registered
270 Posts
I dont know much myself but my uncle skin dives with a club in delaware and they go to the outer wall in lewis alot. I do know he uses a pneumatic (air) gun. I believe it is double action allowing him to charge it only once for the season. I may be wrong on some of the facts as I said I do not do it myself. But have asked a ton of questions. I'll look into it and post some more.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
JBL does make a good gun , the magnum series is a better choice than the explorer series of guns , I have the mini magnum, & the sawed-off magnum(my favorite of the two), I use an arrow head tip for most of the hunting and a break-away bullet head for bigger/stronger fish. I'm a certified, master scuba diver trainer with a dive shop in Philly, I'll be happy to answer any of your questions. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thanks for help guys... i am going to be of
beaches and jettys not going into the blue any time soon i need plenty of experiance hopefully i will get plenty with the togs and bass...how does the maitence side of things go with the guns? and thanks for the help inadvance...

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by 81486:
i am intrested in learning how spear fish sounds like a good challenge and fun challenge at that i am a good swimmer and diver so tat should help i guess...i need to know what i should use from gun...to...tips the whole 9 yrds. all help appreciated...
there are alot of good guns out there that are priced right,alot of my friends that were new to it purchased aimrite railguns,it does not really pay to get a cheap gun cause it will only frustrate the heck out of you when you start bouncing off of fish,if you have any ques just e-mail me,i would be glad to help you

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
I have been spearfishing for over 15 years, I love it. One thing you must remeber is fish look bigger then they are under water. Another thing is to make sure you are aware of your surroundings, don't shoot unless you see where it is going.

You might want to start off with a smaller gun and work your way up.

I would start off on a wreck first to get comfortable with it, trying to spear near a jetti is going to be tough with the stron currents, if you do swim on the side protected from the surge.

I like to go for Tog and Flounder. Tog are especially challenging, they are pretty smart, they like to swim in line with you to reduce your target size and they duck around objects and then make quick detours throwing you off.

I like to break up a bunch of mussells and wait for the big guys. If a Tog's belly and chin is white then it is most likely a keeper, also look at the lips they get fat when they age.

Another fish is the Monk fish, they lie on the bottom, are one ugly fish but taste great.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow i appreciate all the help guys...one more thing when you find a jetty that looks promising but when u dive on under there is nothing in site do you wait around to see if anything may show up or keep on swimming...one more thing do you guys free dive or use air tanks? and is it recomended to swim with a gun in a pool to get the hang of swimming and aiming with it? and how do you no if a current is swimmable i mean it wont drag you down and under and or take you out to sea? and how far from a jetty you guys fish 10-15 ft. or more? a general idea...sry if i am boggin you guys down with questions but this sport sounds challeging and i love challenges...and i have not yet links busy with work i will do so and if you guys r recomending them they must be good thnks in advance.

[ 06-04-2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: 81486 ]

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Mind the state laws ;) . You must be completly submerged, same,same fishing regs apply as to SIZE & limits (they appear LARGER than they are while viewing through a mask) & many townships don't "play" spearfishing from beaches/jettys :eek: . Check it out prior to!!!
From boats....better
& ALWAYS USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! You never want to go by you're lonesome ;) ;) ;) ;)

[ 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: clamchucker ]

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Most beaches will let you spearfish either before or after the life guards are on duty. :cool: Check with the towns police for specific rules.
In the beginning try the ocean front jetties at high slack tide , you get the most amount of water with the least amount of water movement, and follow the rocks down to were they meet the sand that way you get a shot at some flounder , tog , stripers ,weekies, blues & anything else that swims by :D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
around jetties you can just use a hawaiian sling with a paralizer tip. Using a gun around jetty rocks isn't the best way to learn.

Get on a dive boat and go wreak diving with a group. There are plenty of wreaks in 50-60' of water with plenty of fish to shoot. Some nice lobsta to be had to boot.

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by 81486:
wow i appreciate all the help guys...one more thing when you find a jetty that looks promising but when u dive on under there is nothing in site do you wait around to see if anything may show up or keep on swimming...one more thing do you guys free dive or use air tanks? and is it recomended to swim with a gun in a pool to get the hang of swimming and aiming with it? and how do you no if a current is swimmable i mean it wont drag you down and under and or take you out to sea? and how far from a jetty you guys fish 10-15 ft. or more? a general idea...sry if i am boggin you guys down with questions but this sport sounds challeging and i love challenges...and i have not yet links busy with work i will do so and if you guys r recomending them they must be good thnks in advance.
I freedive all of the time because i like the challenge,and when you are diving try to get your bottom time up to about 1min thats when then hunting is really good you have time to get down on the bottom and really see whats goin on down there

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Yeah sure no problem my address is [email protected],i would be glad to help you out anytime,and my buddy just callled to tell me he just got a 40lb plus bass this morning with the speargun,just what i wanted to hear since i am sick as a dog,oh and if you want to give me a call my cell is 609-548-1584

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
waterman thnks much i cnt call or email now because i am in school... i will keep you number in my cell but i will email you because when it comes to verbal communication i forget more then half the questions i wanted to ask and dont remember them till months later so email will work till i get all me questions in and a 40lb strpper dang your friend is a freakin animal...in a good way hehe...and hope you get better soon...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey waterman i forgot to ask you on the phone i would call again but dont want to be a bother so i was wondering when going into the water from the beach do you swim regularly or under the surface or it doesnt matter... and how do i know if the current around the jetties and inlets are swimmable for a newbie?...

[ 06-07-2006, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: 81486 ]

·
Registered
678 Posts
As was mentioned before , the jetties are best right around slack high tide- both for clarity and lack of current. On anything other than that tide, it's best to scope it out a few times before getting in- sometimes a fast rip only takes 10 or 20 minutes to start and can get you into trouble if you're already in the water. For some fun and to get experience, try shooting triggers in August - clear warm water, not very wary fish, good to eat- perfect to pop your cherry.
Waterman- I saw that Daryl Wong gun you have in another picture- email me when you want to sell it

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by Never Better:
As was mentioned before , the jetties are best right around slack high tide- both for clarity and lack of current. On anything other than that tide, it's best to scope it out a few times before getting in- sometimes a fast rip only takes 10 or 20 minutes to start and can get you into trouble if you're already in the water. For some fun and to get experience, try shooting triggers in August - clear warm water, not very wary fish, good to eat- perfect to pop your cherry.
Waterman- I saw that Daryl Wong gun you have in another picture- email me when you want to sell it
Sorry but i would never sell any of my wong guns they are all very sentimental to me but give daryl a call i'm sure he would be more than happy to build one for you he is one of the nicest people to deal with

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.