BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i figure with all the knowledge and sharpies and the way the economy is there has too b someone who has buiilt there own livewell:rolleyes:...Well i have a 21' cc and theres plenty of room and would like too even make it removable tht way i can use mainly in the spring...I wntd something big enuff too hold approx 10 -15 adult bunker if tht is fisible...I was thinking of what size if there is even a type of rubbermaid or something of that sort too b able too b large enuff too hold enuff water n fish too get me in the range i'm looking for...Man this would b neat too b able too do n well worth it...Thanks for any help and or tips or info on someone intrested in doing with me as compinsation is not a problem...Thanks again Terry THE PAZMAN;)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The best ones I have seen if you are looking for a portable setup, is a irrigation tank. We have a tractor supply co right down the street, and they sell tons of sized and shaped tanks. They have small ones that are ment to be installed on a ATV.

Cut a hatch in the top, and drop a rule livewell pump in it and you are good to go.

Bunker is hard to keep alive (as are any silver fish).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Keep it Simple

If you want the ultimate portable live well just stop in and pick up a Keep alive complete kit. All you have to do is hook up to 12 volts fill it with water and put in your bait.

The 14 Gallon ovel is the most popular and it will keep a dozen bunker kicking a few hours. The 30 gallon will hold more bait than you can fish.

Even if you want to save a few bucks on the tank the keep alive areator is still your best bet and available separately. For the ultimate I am now dstocking the Keep alive oxygen system.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
do you have a salt wash ? if so . pick size of rubermaid trash can , @ quick connect hose connection , Drill and mount one each in top and bottom of can . Bottom gets salt wash and top gets overflow hose run to scupper . Can split salt wash , can get fancy and put on a timer . Thats how the poor people do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
After using one borrowed, I built one last year but no pics at the moment. I took a blue 55 gallon poly chemical barrel and cut it the 25 gallon mark and kept the bottom. Bored holes and installed boat drain fittings at the bottom (drain) and at the 20 gallon mark (overflow.) Cut at round lid from 3/8 inch plywood, sealed and painted, and attached with 6 pieces of aluminum 1/2 inch "L" inside the barrel and attached lid with stainless bolts and lock nuts. Cut a "D" shaped hole in in the lid and used as a hatch and put a stainless hinge along the straight edge. Attached a piece of 1 x 1 wood to the hatch which extends from the center of the hatch across the round edge and overlap the edge with the lid. That hatch is your water supply and bait access entry.

I put in a Keepalive floating aerator (see link above - uses a Rule pump) and an LED light under the lid and wired to a switch box on the side with independent switches. You can figure out how to supply current. Painted the bottom of the barrel off white.

Made four little fittings and attached handles I made from 7/16 line and broom handle pieces like you find on the older 162 qt Igloo marine coolers. That makes it real portable to the truck or wherever as it's a pretty easy job to move if only 2/3 full.

I also have a major league bubbler for when I'm not around a supply of new water. Those bubblers will keep a lot of bait alive and healthy overnight even without new water. Always remember that if you add new clean water after a long period of NO fresh water you need to add very slowly or you will shock your bait.

Works great, looks pretty good, and did the whole thing in about 4 hours over 3 nights for about $100. Better than strore-bought and about $150 cheaper than a good 20+ gallon similarly equipped freestanding livewell.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
If you want the ultimate portable live well just stop in and pick up a Keep alive complete kit. All you have to do is hook up to 12 volts fill it with water and put in your bait.

The 14 Gallon ovel is the most popular and it will keep a dozen bunker kicking a few hours. The 30 gallon will hold more bait than you can fish.

Even if you want to save a few bucks on the tank the keep alive areator is still your best bet and available separately. For the ultimate I am now dstocking the Keep alive oxygen system.
I bought one of these from Dave about 5 years ago to do my herring and spot transporting.... add an old boat battery that ain't dead but is too old to use onboard and for the money, you can't beat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.