BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what effects all this snow and below average cold temperatures will have on the spring Striper fishing.
With all the cold fresh water run-off from all this (above normal) snow fall effecting the salinity of the rivers and estuaries, plus the below average water temps remaining colder, longer into the spring, this has to have some effect on what, how, when and where the Stripers spawn, and move out to the back bays to feed.

So what's everyone's predictions on the spring Striper run for 2010.......?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
tony you know I'm no expert but I keep reading guys saying this type of winter makes for a great spring, guess we just gotta wait and see...either way I know where I'll be march 1st, actually almost all of march, april starts the bouncin around

My prediction, me and ry will catch while you watch:razz:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
On friday night I was in my buddies garage and needed some ice for a drink. The drink was about half a glass. I filled the rest of the glass up with snow and it immediately melted into the glass and made the liquid rise at an almost unnoticeable amount.

So my opinion is that these two big snow storms are resulting in less freshwater than a rainy winter. Given that snow has different densities depending upon how wet it is.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
On friday night I was in my buddies garage and needed some ice for a drink. The drink was about half a glass. I filled the rest of the glass up with snow and it immediately melted into the glass and made the liquid rise at an almost unnoticeable amount.

So my opinion is that these two big snow storms are resulting in less freshwater than a rainy winter. Given that snow has different densities depending upon how wet it is.
I understand the your point,I just hope the snow wasn't yellow.:razz:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Should help things... should be a good spring..
while all this snow is affecting the backbays/ inlet temperatures now. it wont be a factor in a month or two (assuming its melted by then) the backbay temps in teh Spring are primarily dictated by air temperatures and how many sunny days we get. dont forget although most of winter the backbay is about 5-10degrees colder than the ocean, almost all of spring the backbay flips and becomes 5-10+ degrees warmer than the ocean.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts

7in of snow = 1 in of rain

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how it affects the beaches and bottom of the bays. The way I see it the snow is easier on us than a big comparable rain storm. My reasoning is because the snow melts in slower and is absorbed at a more manageable rate. A huge rainstorm hit the bay/ocean all at once.

My back is hurting from shoveling this snow!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how it affects the beaches and bottom of the bays. The way I see it the snow is easier on us than a big comparable rain storm. My reasoning is because the snow melts in slower and is absorbed at a more manageable rate. A huge rainstorm hit the bay/ocean all at once.

My back is hurting from shoveling this snow!
But at the same time one 50 degree day after the 2-3 feet of snow of this week and last could be devastating, looking at all of the crap it will wash into the water after 2 weeks of no rain. Not to mention all of the salt...:huh:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Remember. January and February are supposed to be cold and nasty. It's just part of the season cycle for our area. This will pass and soon we will be in the transition time of the year. By the end of March and all of April we could use some temperate weather patterns so the water will gradually warm up and not a ton of rain. I believe end of March and April have more to do with our good, fair or poor fishing than anything January or February can throw at us. Spring is when the fish move and a decent spring when temps slowly rise and stay on that rise will produce the best fishing. It's when we get warm spells then real cold spells where the water temps rise and fall that screw us up the most.

Farmers aren't worried about whats going on in their fields now. When it come to planting time they will. Don't worry about now. It's the time when the waters start to warm thast we need to watch. That will tell us what to expect.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I dont know? I seem to think that the 100's of tons of salt used on the roads of major city's(philly, camden...) will go into the rivers. Bass spawn in fresh water. Will this change there normal spawning pattern?

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I dont know? I seem to think that the 100's of tons of salt used on the roads of major city's(philly, camden...) will go into the rivers. Bass spawn in fresh water. Will this change there normal spawning pattern?
Yo eb, your excatly right. I think everyone should just forget about the spring run as of now.

I wouldn't lie...:huh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.