BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every time I go to the Corson's Island State Park (CISP) at night I see tons of fish breaking the water and reflecting off of the bridge lights. When I asked someone else on the bridge I was told they were herring..

Now to my question---- can someone share some suggestions on catching these ??? rigs, lures, tactics, etc... pics would be extremely helpful.

Everytime I look down its a big tease. :mad: I've tried my own concoctions but have yet to get one.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Watched a lady get em on a small golden spoon at Barnegat inlet one night....

Me, I caught one in my cast net :D stroke of luck though.... if you really wanted to try castnetting em get a long rope to tie to your net and don't lose the net.........

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
sabiki, when the herring get big don't be afraid to use bigger rigs, my brother loves to catch herring, he makes his own rigs for them, later in the season when the herring get BIG his rigs get bigger

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I am fishing off that bridge I can usually always catch them using a spec rig. I dont think they are herring right now. I believe they are shad and small blues. I was there last friday night and the only thing jumping was something very small. I had a few hits but couldnt catch them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If theyre hickory shad, just use small plastics or tiny kastmasters

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try a Mustad Shrimp rig. We caught blue back herring off the fifth bridge in Tuckerton using them.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
If you want to fight them, not collect them...Best bet...flyrod...

A shad dart will work, or like posted, the teaser will get you a few. For some reason, pink teasers or flys seem to work best for me...

Of course, if you want to collect them, sabiki.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Those fish at CI are shad. I use a small jig head 1/4 oz or so with a small soft plastic about 2-3" or so. No matter the size of shad, they'll hit that small bait.

At night when they get thick you'll have one on every cast.

Sabiki also works well but only for fishing strait down.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I fish corsons all the time i use a little jig head with a 4inch finesse....Just about any color will work...use light tackle like a 6 ft med action with 8 pound test...its alot of fun...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I assume these are either shad (hickory or american) or true Atlantic Herring? I love catching herring (catch and release for fun) but haven't been able to pinpoint where/when they'll be around. Are they specifically around the bridge lights at night this time of year, or it is year round?

Any info is appreciated!

Last October I got into a school of Atlantic Herring waaaaay up the river in fresh water...haven't seen them there since.

tight lines!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I assume these are either shad (hickory or american) or true Atlantic Herring? I love catching herring (catch and release for fun) but haven't been able to pinpoint where/when they'll be around. Are they specifically around the bridge lights at night this time of year, or it is year round?

Any info is appreciated!

Last October I got into a school of Atlantic Herring waaaaay up the river in fresh water...haven't seen them there since.

tight lines!
Right around dusk at any inlet they should be pushing around some small bait. Incoming seems more of a sure bet in my opinion.

After dark I see them all the time at some of spots, occassionally at other spots and rarely at some other spots. They seem to be more consistent at areas with strong tidal flow and a light source. They are feisty little bastards, but unless you busted your a$$ all night looking for fish, I would not waste your time picking off shad up top. There may be some nice bass around them and they are not gonna touch your sabiki.

Anyway, definetaly hickory shad around the inlets and into the back this time of year. Trickled in slower this year.

RyanF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts