BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Picked up a 40 pound box of necks today. Might give it a shot on Friday.

Where at?, How much and Good Luck...I'm about ready...Got 30 virgins...Please post results...Gonna be down this weekend BUT it's supposed to be a little cold.
178383056_829748881281232_3798983343143024476_n.jpg
177835854_462232484848196_915683008867866226_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
How do you guys rate the ring traps versus the topless traps from a boat??

I ALWAYS go on a boat and I have not used my topless in 4 years now...Still have 30 of them, 42 rings I made 3 years ago and 35 I made this past winter...SOoooo much less room involved with keeping them on the boat, moving from spot to spot etc etc...No brainer, imo...I surely don't see a drop in numbers of crabs either...

Reactions: toolguy73

·
Registered
153 Posts
I ALWAYS go on a boat and I have not used my topless in 4 years now...Still have 30 of them, 42 rings I made 3 years ago and 35 I made this past winter...SOoooo much less room involved with keeping them on the boat, moving from spot to spot etc etc...No brainer, imo...I surely don't see a drop in numbers of crabs either...

thank you. Where is a good local store to purchase several rings style traps?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
thank you. Where is a good local store to purchase several rings style traps?

You can purchase rings, while not great ones, at Walmart if you want...They're cheap and if you are just 'testing' whether you want them or not, good for that...Good ones can/will run you $25/$30 easy, rigged and ready...I built mine and the cost is somewhere at $10 for all the material....Looking at it that way, IF I wasn't retired, I'd buy them, no questions asked...The best ring makers I know of only can do about 3/4 a day..Remember, WE'RE tying the net too, not just cutting and tying the ends etc..I, personally, can only weave about 4 in a decent day and then everything else takes time...I'd guess I have about 90 hours in 35 traps...I like doing them though....If interested, I can put you in touch with the good guys...I 'might' have some used I'd part with too..btw, what is 'local'?...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I don't have the time to make them so I'd like to purchase about a dozen. I'm in Forked River so anywhere within an hour would be fine.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I don't have the time to make them so I'd like to purchase about a dozen. I'm in Forked River so anywhere within an hour would be fine.

Supposed to be in Collingswood the weekend of 22/23 and could meet in Medford??...Possibly?...I'm NOT 100% yet..I have my boat in Medford but I'm in Williamsport Pa currently...Do you want, or interested?...I can email pictures or you can creep my past posts...Most are crab related...My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have 10 rings (cheapies) & 15 topless
I use the rings when I'm in my Yak, & both when I'm in my boat
Personally I haven't noticed a big difference between the traps as far as catching,
but the rings are easier to pull & take up a lot less space

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I ended up purchasing 10 topless traps from a neighbor. I'll also try a couple rings from Walmart and see how I like them. Thanks again for the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts