BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Growing up we had a mount of an 81lb NJ cod hanging in our basement

Even though cod stocks seem to be getting better, I doubt NJ will ever see fish like that again

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Kil, Norway for sure. There is a fishing club there and a few of the guys make a point to target massive cod.

I will P/M you the President of the Club's contact info. I have no idea what time of the year is best or anything like that. I meet her years ago selling our plastic B-2 Style squid in the ebay days and they keep buying them

Here is her husband with some of his catches

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Might be a stretch but some of those cod that the deadliest catch uses out of the Bering sea look of very good size and ight be close to homer Alaska

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Kil, I will never forget the Walsh's trips that you put together, world class cod fishing for sure.Thanks for bringing back great memories.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I fished with Oak Bay Marine British Columbia in Hakaii Pass around 1996 and went out one day solo and came back with a boatload of Snapper,Ling Cod a Halibut and then got into 20 lb + pacific cod. I brought back about 8 nice ones and when I got back to the dock they said they don't eat pacific cod because they contain too many worms laughed and kicked them off the landing dock.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I was in Homer halibut fishing the captain got pissed when a cod was landed. Called it a "junk fish". It was just too easy! Wish I could get a little of that on the right coast!

This is the average size cod you can expect in Alaska.
Generally, Pacific cod is smaller than Atlantic cod. The IGFA world record of Pacific cod is only
38 lb 9 oz.

We had nonstop catch/release those cod in Kodiak Island, AK.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I was in Homer halibut fishing the captain got pissed when a cod was landed. Called it a "junk fish". It was just too easy! Wish I could get a little of that on the right coast!
They use cod for halibut bait on charter boats in AK.
They don't know cod taste because there are so many tasty fish they catch like halibut, salmon, lingcod or yelloweye rockfish. :)

Cod jigging is extremely popular in Korea.

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.