BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shaking my head in shock as I was casting to blasting bass.

Birds diving, bass busting everywhere around me and 20 other boats... and they just kept right on trolling. It was like they were Mojo-hypnotized. Sure they were getting a hookup on those 3# of lead dragging on telephone poles, but there were bass busting everywhere!!! My Trevala was doubled over and my reels was screaming (not really... VR-150 quite as spun silk), and almost all of these guys were just "dump-de-dumping' through them.

(Doing my best Irish drawl...) Are ya dead man? Don-cha have any hart mon? Dont the sight of busting stripers make yer blood boil?

Seriously, how do you not grab the light tackle, get out in front of the birds, and start casting til you arms fall off? :huh:

8 bass hauled in and released this morning, the smallest about 25#... on solo mission, just me. If someone else was there to drive, I beleive I could have put 20 in the boat.

·
Administrator
49,981 Posts
Hey , aren't you the same guy that was crying about a little snow in your boat just last week :huh:

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey , aren't you the same guy that was crying about a little snow in your boat just last week :huh:
Looks like a couple empty slips at your house kraz... whatzamatta... little to chilly for your old bones???

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess some people are programmed to troll and do not bring the jig rods with them for the surface bass.
IMHO, the ONLY reason to troll for bass is to find out where they are so you can cast, jig or liveline 'em......

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
But, but, but the chalkboard at TD says Hot bait MoJo’s, MoJo’s, MoJo’s

Seriously though Ed, glad you got into them. Fun huh?

·
Registered
13,770 Posts
IMHO, the ONLY reason to troll for bass is to find out where they are so you can cast, jig or liveline 'em......
That is what I always did, and will continue to do ( once I get back out there next year), either casting into the frenzy or jigging from below. Was never much of a liveliner.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Talk about herd mentality. While we were on our way to our first wreck out east of GE on Sunday morning, suddenly everyone who was trolling near us inside the line off AC started running full tilt boogie to the south. It reminded me of the scene in jaws. Guess somebody let the secret spot out.

Meanwhile on the tog grounds we saw 2 other boats all day and caught fish from start to finish and no mojo tards to deal with.

Seriously though, we were rigged for casting and hoping to run across some surface feeding bass or bird action on the way in to no avail. But I guess that's to be expected when people insist on running/ trolling through any surface action that tries to develop day in and day out. Boat bass are at best a plan B for me this time of year anymore. Used to be so much more fun :(

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But, but, but the chalkboard at TD says Hot bait MoJo’s, MoJo’s, MoJo’s

Seriously though Ed, glad you got into them. Fun huh?
They ARE the hot bait... for the other 7 hours in the day when the fish are not making the surface look like whirlpools all around you!

Stupid fun Harry.....

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
The Fisherman Mag report says that's how you catch 'em. :please:

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: MAKO19

·
Registered
20,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to work but heard they were still out there...off Ventnor.

Gonna blow a little the next couple days (red flag tonight thru tomorrow nite I saw) but Friday is lookin might good. Also very good reports from up North so it ain't close to over yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A lot of activity with people catching today off AC-Ventnor at the 3 mile line. Most people trolling and a few jigging. No bird action that I saw. Beautiful morning on the water. I caught 3, all around 32", using an 8 oz mojo with 10 lb braid. Brought one home. I saw lots of marks fish but no significant bunker schools today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts