BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I respect anybody’s right to take fish, but I hate to see the genes that big girl with her belly full of eggs taken out of the gene pool. I’ve heard all the BS about them not being the most prolific spawners but I just don’t think I could kill a giant cow like that one. Now don’t misunderstand me I sure would love to land her but I would get a photo and send her on her way.

I wish they would impose a slot on those big girls off VA. If they were catching them after the spawn it wouldn’t bother me so much. My friend sends me photos almost daily of boats with their limit and all the fish are cows, mostly over 30 pounds.

And they wonder why the spawning biomass is in decline.

Old-guy

·
Registered
677 Posts
TW-30 they must have had high hopes Striper fishing with a reel that size.

they sure was'nt under gunned witht that reel.

·
Registered
807 Posts
leprechaun said:
TW-30 they must have had high hopes Striper fishing with a reel that size.

they sure was'nt under gunned witht that reel.
Thats what im talking about . A 30 wide ? For stripers ? Ill bet if you ask a hundred people if they use a 30 wide for bass , you'll get a hundred no answers .

·
Registered
429 Posts
Old-guy said:
I wish they would impose a slot on those big girls off VA. If they were catching them after the spawn it wouldn’t bother me so much. My friend sends me photos almost daily of boats with their limit and all the fish are cows, mostly over 30 pounds.
What is the difference if you kill the fish before or after the spawn? Regardless of when you kill the fish in its migratory patern, it will not spawn again. What kills me is that when I fish DE Bay I can keep 2 big cows per person (and an extra with a trophy tag) and I can only keep 1 fish per person on the Chesapeake (Heck I have been catching tons of them now and cant keep 1 until next week). I agree that coastal VA fishery ought to go to 1 fish per person but maybe other areas should too;)

Sorry it just bugs me when people want more restrictions on other recreational fishermen of a migratory fish when their area has looser restrictions.

BTW, I am glad he kept the fish. It was a fish of a lifetime that was a record. It has brought recognition and prominance to our sport. Hunting the largest and heaviest fish IS part of the sport. I dont want our sport to be shut down from being able to set new records.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts