BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after cleaning my fish I had someone pull up in their truck and ask me if I wanted a flounder. I gladly accepted and proceeded talk JohnnyD in to filleting it. When we checked the fishes stumach content we found the remains of a 4 inch striper in it. I just thought it was kind of odd. I guess its a fish eat fish world. :D

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Are you sure it was a striper,there also is a striped minnow that looks a lot like a striper and I've caught several in my trap
It has 1 less strip

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was not a minnow. Maybe JohnnyD can chime on what we saw.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
last Mon. I caught a short fluke, maybe 10-11". Just as I was about to release it spit up 2 tiny flounder, maybe 1 inch each! All 3 of em end to end didn't = a keeper :D

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Big fish eat little fish, no matter what kind.
The kicker was that it was not a big fluke. The fish measured at 16 3/4 inches. The little one was 4 inces on the nose.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
When I fillet the fluke for AFK. I checked the stomach. The baby fish was 4 inchs in length w/ 5 to 6 stripes and purpleish color near the dorsal fin. The head was 1 inch in width. It was a baby striper.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Rick,
That's a nice catch, a 16 3/4 fom a pick up. Hey I'd take it too. i haven't contacted you to get together sincet things have been petty slow in my area. Bry

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
THE FLOUNDER ARE FINALLY STANDING UP TO THOSE BRUTES.WHY DON'T WE SEE MANY LITTLE STRIPERS?
ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THEY STAY IN FRESH WATER?

·
Registered
19,726 Posts
If the striper had munched a little weakfish, ya coulda had a one fish grand slam :D

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
When someone says what happen to all the stripers, someone will say the flounder ate them all. :D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Believe it or not, i think it was two yrs ago, i fillet a good size fluke I caught in the bay and in the stomach were the remains of a baby duck, or a small bird with webbed feet. It took me a while to believe what I was seeing. Dont ask me how a Fluke was able to catch a duck!!!! I still to this day ask myself how its feezable.

Ryan

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by LilFisherman:
Believe it or not, i think it was two yrs ago, i fillet a good size fluke I caught in the bay and in the stomach were the remains of a baby duck, or a small bird with webbed feet. It took me a while to believe what I was seeing. Dont ask me how a Fluke was able to catch a duck!!!! I still to this day ask myself how its feezable.

Ryan
Thats why I always carry one of these in my plug bag
:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
are they real, as a kid my father was and avid freshwater fisherman. He always had strange lures like frogs and such in his taclkebox, he always said that largemouth bass would/could eat small birds if they were close enough for them to strike. I guess anything is possible

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Sure are Real, They Have Them On The Cabela's Website For Sale....
They are in the Bargin Cave,So I Figure They Haven't Been Selling To Well...

I have seen some footage of a Muskie coming up from the bottom and taking a duck off the surface..

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Im heading to cabelas in a few minutes, Im going to look to see if theys still have them. I just want one so people wonder what the heck i'm doing when Im using it for bait next time im out! I still dont know how a fluke ate a baby duck though??????

Ryan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts