1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The warm winter's effect on animals
Expect to see more wildlife this season

Nick Bannin
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - With our mild winter so far, we are not the only ones unsure of the season we're in: animals are confused, too!
Our current weather pattern is doing some weird things with the seasonal routines of our furry and feathered friends. Animals like bears and woodchucks, which normally hibernate for some or all of winter, are finding their hibernation cycles interrupted.
As a result, you should be on the lookout for these types of animals that you may not be used to avoiding on the road as you drive around western Massachusetts.
According to Teralyn Lachance, the Assistant Education Director at the Zoo in Forest Park in Springfield, she is noticing that bird migrations have also been affected, and birds that aren't normally flying around western Massachusetts this time of year are hanging around.
"We at the zoo went and answered a call for an injured hawk that had been hit by a car in Springfield last week. It's now doing well at Tufts University, but we usually get those calls in the summer. We usually don't get those calls in the wintertime,” Lachance said.
Scientists also warn that ticks and mosquitoes might be particularly common once temperatures do warm up for the summertime. So stock up on the bug spray!
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/no-surprise-2012-is-2nd-warmest-winter

I expect the gnats, green-heads, and black flies will be bad this year. If the animals and birds are confused I would think the fish are confused also. It might be a banner year for crabs. The mild winter may not have killed any crabs in the mud. Since we did not use enough heating oil this winter the price of gasoline will be $5.00/gal this summer.:D I heard the flounder did not leave the bay this year.:D

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm thinking the biggest issue will be gas prices. We are quickly approaching $4 per gallon, where will it end:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Maybe those flounder will move further up this year! Home by noon John!! They might be just around the corner for you Steve.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Block

Block, I have never seen so many bugs as I did at your slip. Thats gonna be deadly this year. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

1 - 5 of 5 Posts