BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I departed Rudee Inlet on my jet ski and ran about 20 miles South off of False Cape. I trolled for a couple hours in good fish marks but no bite. I later heard there was a striper and tuna bite a lot further out. I came back and fished around Cape Henry in lots of bait and a couple of whales. It was nice early on, then by noon the wind went SE and picked up to 15-20.
The Virginia Beach Polar Plunge was taking place at 1400 and I had some friends that were going to take a dip. I got off of the beach and took several pictures of groups of people making their plunge into the chilly Atlantic.
I made the mistake of getting caught in a big swell and got pushed too close into the breakers as I was snapping away. I almost took my own Polar Plunge (except I have a dry suit and survival suit on).
Unfortunately as I was engulfed by the wave, I lost my Nikon D-40 and a nice telephoto lens. I was really bummed to see it disappear into the frothy breaking waves as I turned to get away from shore. I have had it about 4 years and taken it out on the water hundreds of times and shot thousands of pictures with it. I guess a burial at sea was due and appropriate.
I did not catch anything today but I sure lost a nice one.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Wow, that really bites. It always amazed me that you were able to take all those pictures without getting that camera all wet, I wonder if you can claim the loss on your home owners? I'm not suggesting foul play, you just never know what is or isn't covered on those policy's. I hope you get a new one, I for one would miss all those great pictures. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Yesterday I departed Rudee Inlet on my jet ski and ran about 20 miles South off of False Cape. I trolled for a couple hours in good fish marks but no bite. I later heard there was a striper and tuna bite a lot further out. I came back and fished around Cape Henry in lots of bait and a couple of whales. It was nice early on, then by noon the wind went SE and picked up to 15-20.
The Virginia Beach Polar Plunge was taking place at 1400 and I had some friends that were going to take a dip. I got off of the beach and took several pictures of groups of people making their plunge into the chilly Atlantic.
I made the mistake of getting caught in a big swell and got pushed too close into the breakers as I was snapping away. I almost took my own Polar Plunge (except I have a dry suit and survival suit on).
Unfortunately as I was engulfed by the wave, I lost my Nikon D-40 and a nice telephoto lens. I was really bummed to see it disappear into the frothy breaking waves as I turned to get away from shore. I have had it about 4 years and taken it out on the water hundreds of times and shot thousands of pictures with it. I guess a burial at sea was due and appropriate.
I did not catch anything today but I sure lost a nice one.
Awe Brian, I hope you have a replacement, would hate to miss out on those great pictures you take.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is a bummer..... sorry you lost it.
You take great pictures - hopefully you can find a new axe soon.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
That sucks, at lease it wasn't your new D5100, but still sucks to lose the camera & lens.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Lost Camera

Maybe a neck lanyard attached to the camera would be the hot set up for the new camera. If that was mine I would have lost it many trips ago.Sorry to hear that, Brian

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, suggestions and offers. I have a Nikon D-3100 that I bought last year, I preferred the D-40 so I have been using it mostly. I did lose my favorite lens that was on the D-40. It was a 70-300mm tele-macro lens, that enabled me to get some nice shots from a distance. I also lost an 18-55mm lens that was in my bag. I probably lost about $1300.00 in that brief moment. I can replace them for a lot less than that. For now I will get another tele-photo lens and use it on my D-3100. I will also try and get into the habit off putting the strap around my neck. Ha! Live and learn.

·
Registered
703 Posts
brian
sorry to hear that. i have the same set up an i would know how i would feel. u an that camera took some great shots. please dont stop posting ur pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts