BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Go to sports authority and see if they have any small spinners. usually they are Shakespeare or pflueger.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Teach him how to use a spinner

I started my boy with a small uglystik combo at 5yrs. Rod was probably 2' with a spinning reel. 20 bucks I think. Once he got the reel action down I let him use my cheaper stuff 6' . He's 9 now and out fishes most adults. He can put a bucktail or metal right where he wants.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
There will learn to use what ever you get them. What is the easiest for you to untangle. keep drags set lite.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
5 Foot Ugly Stick & amatching shakespeare reel :thumbsup: thats what I got all 3 of my kids at about 5 or 6, my daughter was up set that it wasn't pink :eek: & that I called the stick ugly :p. My 2 boys loved them :cool: & still use them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm looking for similar setups for my 4yo daughter and 6yo son. I think I'll be buying 5' Ugly sticks and put my old Shimano corsairs on them. I just need to set the reel up so that it doesn't quite freespool.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Rhino rods or ugly sticks. unless you step on the guides, take tremendous abuse. Speaking of guides... no single foot guides for kids!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The first 2 combos I owned were a rhino rod paired with a zebco .357 silver bullet spincaster and the Shimano FX combo with the FX200 reel. Still have both of them too....

Anywho.....Try out a spincast combo in the 5 foot range. Like a rhino or uglystik (as others suggested). Once he masters that move him into a spinning combo. My Shimano combo is still holding strong even after almost 20 years. Now a days I'd be a little more partial to those uglystik spinning combos for the youngsters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.