BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 150 mercury 2 cycle outboard that is in its 3 season. i sometimes have trouble starting it after sitting a week or so. my manuel tells me to prime the bulb then advance the fast idle and prime the motor by pushing in the key for 6 seconds(only if cold)then start.well it does not always work. first of all when they talk about cold are they refering about outside ambient temp of cold as in the motor has been sitting for a week? second after squeezing the bulb can i just start it or do i need the fast idle?i went out a few times last week and when i was the motor it ran great i would stop to drift for flounder for about 15 min then would have a hard time starting(turn the key 3-4 times)my boat is now at gifford marina and he said his mechanic rode the motor hard for about 30 min shut it off when returning to the dock and it fired right up again in 15 min. now he said he wants to let it sit for a few days and try it again. also when the water is onm the choppy side and the waves or swells hit the water out exhaust would this affect this? maybe i need to keep the motor more elevated when fishing. any info would be helpful. i am sure if there is a major problem the mechanic will find it but i always value the opinions on this site. thank you chet and the boys

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey flukesnatcher,

I'm no mechanic, but I can maybe answer a few of your questions. Being in choppy water shouldn't effect your motor at all. I never had to do anything to start any of my boats except to prime the ball. When you push your key in, it closes the choke for when the boat is "cold", when I say cold I mean the motor is cold(hasnt been running), not the air temperature. It sounds like you either have a choke problem or a fuel problem, but it could be a number of things. Once your boat is warm, don't push the key back in to start it. Like I said, Im no mechanic but maybe this might answer some of your questions- Tight Lines!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.