BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all the information anyone is willing to give me about Striper fishing. I live in Woodbury, NJ (about 2 mins. from the Delaware River) and about an hour from the shore. I went Striper fishing on a party boat out of Cape May last September and absolutely loved it. The only problem is for me it's a complete hit or miss. How do I find a good boat, where can I find reliable fishing reports, when are the best times to go.

Also, if I want to fish the river, what do I need to get started and where are the best local spots to go.

Let me know, Thanks!

G

·
joemac,
welcome to the barn.
let us know if your primarily a land based angler, if ya want to fish from sand, jetty, sodbank, etc. what kind of tackle do you have now?
as far as reports and reliable information.........i dont think you'll find any reports better or more accurate than what you'll see on this site. its still kind of slow but the reports should start coming in pretty good after this weekend. my advice is to book a charter with one of our sponsors(they all offer open boat trips)and you'll learn a lot. check out the open boat forum for current openings and reports. im sure you could book a trip right now with one of them.
fishing IS, HAS BEEN, and ALWAYS will be hit or miss to a certain point especially this time of the year. go during the week the waters are a lot less crowded.
Nick

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
it's all trial and error ... fortunately here on the barn we have top notch charter guys here on our advertise on this board... Basically put these guys have every type of charter boat fishing you want ... they cover any type of fishing you'd like from inshore to offshore ..

Jump down to the OPEN Boat Forum , contact the many captains who are running open boats or private charter through e-mail or a phone call and ask all the questions you may have , that way you can see for your self if it is the right charter for you or your needs.. I'm sure you will find the charters we have here will be more than happy to help you along .. here is a list of our advertisers .... OUR ADVERTISERS

I'm headed to the river on Sunday I'd be happy to show you around a bit , but for now get yourself some ( non- offset) circle hooks , blood worms , and you're pretty much set , if you have any questions feel free to call me @ 609-929-2197 and I'll be happy to help any way I can. Hope this helps

[ 04-01-2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: canyon caster ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
JoeMac,
All that Info is Right Here,
We have A really impressive list of Charter
Boats:
Charters

Adam Bomb Sportfishing

Back Bay Charters

BigBites Sportfishing

Blue Runner Charters

BullDog Charters

Canyon Runner

Chum Stain Charters

Coastal Sportfishing

Fish Lips Charters

Fish Tale Charters

Free Spirit Sportfishing

Great Bay Fishing

Jamaica Deep Sea Fishing

Jenny Lee Sportfishing

June Bug Sportfishing

Just Released Sportfishing

Karen Ann II Charters

Magnum Sportfishing

Nautical Adventure Charters

Off Duty Charters

Over Under Charters

Perfect Drift Sportfishing

Reliance Charters

Schmedley Charters

Shadrack Sportfishing

Stalker Charters

Susie II Sportfishing

Tara Anne Charters

Temptation Sportfishing

Tide Runner

Top Shelf Sportfishing

VetCraft Sportfishing

You can find their website here:
Advertisers Websites

------------------------------
River Fishing, Check Out The River Reports
Brought to you each week from Indepth in the
Striper Forum...

By the Way, Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard....

Take Care,

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Originally posted by joemac:
The only problem is for me it's a complete hit or miss.
Join the group
we all hit or miss, the best knowledge I gained was fishing with a buddy that knew what he was doing, watch and learn........read and understand the water/weather/moon/wind/temperature/etc.....

this full moon coming should be a turning point for more consistant warmer weather and better action.

beach river fishing is a big hit or miss, fish where you see others fish, but away from them and observe, you don't want to be fishing a super shallow area and not know it, the waves on the water will tell you how/when/were they break.
3oz + sinker stops the line from moving with the current good sized hook, 3' leader.

sept is a tad early, mid oct-nov, hot. I usually quit around thanksgiving.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
JoeMac,
Man have you come to the right place !!!!! Thes Private Charter Capts.are very serious about putting people on the fish !!! Ide say email some or give um a call,talk to them the'll tell ya when they think the time is right.when ya find one that sounds like someone you would wanna fish with Book a trip...Um sure they will hook ya up,Vinny

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey JoeMac,

Shoot me an email. I'm always looking for a fishing partner. My boat is in Cape May. I'm guessing you only live a few blocks from me....V

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Joemac,
Welome Aboard! If you don't mind fishing during the middle of the week your welcome to come out
with me on my boat. I live in Woodbury and keep the boat in Cape May. Shoot me an E-mail.

·
Registered
97 Posts
welcome joemac, if you can get a line in the water anyware in the del river up to the falls in april and may with "blood worms" on the bottom you will catch stripers just remember you have to let them go alive key word alive so they can get even bigger for next year.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my questions, all of the info. was awesome. To answer some of your questions, I know that the party boats can get kind of crowded, that's why I try primarily to go on weekdays. The other thing is the price is ideal for me. I don't have many friends who get the time off like I do and those who might be able to get off aren't really into fishing.

The other question I have is what type of rod and reel setup would I need to fish the river? Also, where could I get the equipment cheap? I already know about the circle hook requirements.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Well you still left out alot about which kind of fishing you plan on doing. If you are going to fish off the beaches you will need surf rod. Any where between 10 to 13 foot. If you are going to be useing a boat then something in the 6 to 7 foot will work. The Action should be medium to heavy. The line should be 25 to 40 lb test. I don't know what kind of reel you like but it will have to be set up for line 25 to 40lb.

As far as fishing the river anything north of the Commador Barry you will need a fishing lis. If you want to fish south you don't need one.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally posted by VOLKANMAN:

Shoot me an email. I'm always looking for a fishing partner. My boat is in Cape May.....V
Damn Volk, I never got an invite on your boat. :( ;) Now I know why I moved out of Woodbury.

Joemac...Welcome to the Barn.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
wow this question could have answers that go on forever.

for tackle starting out you need two set ups really. you will end up with 25 but for now two will do ya.

for land based bait fishing, including the river, get yourself the best rod you can afford with the following specs...

9 foot, 2-6 oz lures, 30 lb test. spool up with 20 lb line max, 15 lb will land every fish you will encounter, learn tie a blood knot and put a 50 lb shock leader on for casting anythiing over 3 oz.. This will be your bait set up and will work on the beach or the jetty or the riverbank. Keeping it to 9 feet makes some of the tighter spots on the river easier and it's also more reasonable for jetty fishin. But if you do end up on the open beach it will work OK. This will be a fairly heavy action (stiff) rod but that is a necessity.

second rod is your boat/lure rod and will be used for lighter land applications as well.

for this go 7 ft 2 oz rated for 20 lb line. Spool up with 10-12 line. This is a little much for some specialized lures but for the most part you can throw all the plugs and bucktails and such and it will drag a flounder bait or an eel really well. On this rod you want a soft tip but the rest of the rod nice and stiff to give you some power throwing heavier weights and setting hooks.

There are allot of rods around but you can't beat the ol ugly stick for durabiliuty, price and overall performance.

I would have to assume a spinning rod/reel is the best for you if you're new to things so go with a Penn 5500 for the small and 6500 for the big. These aren't the fanciest of reels but they are reliable and reasonable in price relative to allot of what's out there.

this is about $250-$300 worth of stuff including rods reels and lines. Another $50 of hooks, swivels and weights and you'l be striper fishing.

The rest of the $10,000 you'll ultimately invest is up to you, spend it as quickly or slowly as you like LOL!

Hit a reputable tackle shop and they will hook up your hooks and such. The big box boys have the rods and reels cheapest allot of the time to be brutally honest.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Nice Post Darrin,Good advice....My rip rod is a good ole ugly stick with a baitrunner !!I aslo chunk with it...7 ft.Med. heavy i believe its rated for 8-20 spooled with 15-# test thats my favorite the other 4 rip rods LMAO well you get the picture

[ 04-07-2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Joemac,
Welcome aboard. Just when ya think you got it down pat, the monster bluefish and dogfish come and tear ya up. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.