BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hot pot took a nose dive, so i ordered a Lee magnum melter . I will have to use a ladle ,any body use one like this?:huh:

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
My hot pot took a nose dive, so i ordered a Lee magnum melter . I will have to use a ladle ,any body use one like this?:huh:
Yes if that's the 20 lb model without the lower pour spout, I use that model. It works great, once you get the lead up to temp and smooth to pour lower the temp setting a bit. Your get used to the area of temp that works good.

I load mine with a pound or two of lead first, bring it up to temp and add little by little to not drop the temp to fast. I find this the easiest way to melt for myself.

Your find with a ladle that close to the bottom your have to tilt the pot just a little to get a full ladle. I leave a little lead in the pot always when it comes to cooling it down once I'm done. To me it seems to cool down slower than not having any lead in it and I'd rather have the elements cool down slow.

Once the lead is up to temp stick the ladle in to bring it also up to temp.

·
Registered
31,488 Posts
im an old plumber when i started in the buiss. we were still using lead and okum to put bell and spigot cast iron pipe together so i still melt my lead the old fashion way i got a pumpkin and a big ole lead pot ........

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Yes if that's the 20 lb model without the lower pour spout, I use that model. It works great, once you get the lead up to temp and smooth to pour lower the temp setting a bit. Your get used to the area of temp that works good.

I load mine with a pound or two of lead first, bring it up to temp and add little by little to not drop the temp to fast. I find this the easiest way to melt for myself.

Your find with a ladle that close to the bottom your have to tilt the pot just a little to get a full ladle. I leave a little lead in the pot always when it comes to cooling it down once I'm done. To me it seems to cool down slower than not having any lead in it and I'd rather have the elements cool down slow.

Once the lead is up to temp stick the ladle in to bring it also up to temp.
It should be here in a day or so .I will try it out and post it up.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good lead

im an old plumber when i started in the buiss. we were still using lead and okum to put bell and spigot cast iron pipe together so i still melt my lead the old fashion way i got a pumpkin and a big ole lead pot ........
That was the best lead ,got it during demo jobs,smoky with the okum but nice and soft. I do have an old propane tank but i dont think they will refill it.This I feel is small enough and large enough for my use.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
you'll like that pot better as the pouring of larger jigs is more consistent. Great little pot for small (20) lb batches..load a piece at a time to keep at temp while using.
I also leave lead in the pot to cool down when turning off Have had mine for four years with 1000's of lbs melted thru it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an idea for some looking to get into pouring, you may have a camping stove that will work. I use a double burner that I have 2 20lb cast iron pots on. When one gets empty I pour from the other one and place fresh lead in the empty one to melt while working from the other. I got tired of the disposable propane canisters though and bought the adapter hose to hook it up to a big bottle of propane. If you have a stove though all you need is the pot and ladle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a lee production bottom pour which is good for pouring up to an ounce. For anything bigger I use a propane burner, a plumbers crucible, and a ladle. Did not make sense to me to pay money for something that I still have to ladle from. Let me add that i have a strictly low production only for me and those on my boat operation. a plumbers crucible is curved on the bottom to facilitate heat transfer and also so the pot never needs to be tipped I have thought of a hot pot since I could nix the ladle and just pour from the pot. I also pour a lot of 3 thru 6 ounce sinkers that I use as sinkers and also ingots to drop into my pour pot. I m sure you will be very happy with your pot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts