BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS anyone heard from our 2 NJ senators as to why they have not signed on as co-sponsors to the senate bill on flexibility
I have written 3 since bill was introduced into Senate and have yet to hear from either and it pisses me off given they are supposed to work for us and not go around like "princes"

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Don't know why NJ senators haven't co-sponsored the bill. I wrote Bob Casey (PA.), he did give me a response, that he will study the bill and seek input - a no-commitment response. However, it was acknowledgement, and you should have gotten at least that.

· Registered
431 Posts
HAS anyone heard from our 2 NJ senators as to why they have not signed on as co-sponsors to the senate bill on flexibility
I have written 3 since bill was introduced into Senate and have yet to hear from either and it pisses me off given they are supposed to work for us and not go around like "princes"
Lautenberg is like 182 years old. I wouldn't expect a lot out of him on anything remotely controversial. Menendez is an urban legislator obsessed over immigration legislation reform and almost nothing else aside from party fund-raising efforts. Fishing is the absolute last thing on his mind.

Just like those in our state legislature, our two U.S. Senators are products of the North Jersey political machine (Menendez, especially!) and there is little to no care coming from either of them on coastal or fishing issues, especially those near and dear to the hearts of likely Republican voters from "red" counties in South Jersey.

Also, we should be prepared to lose John Adler, a co-sponsor of Pallone's bill whose election was a fluke (no pun intended). Let's just hope John Runyan liked to enjoy some fishing in Ocean City or LBI during the NFL's off-season, since he's a shoe-in as my district's next Congressman.

· Registered
1,832 Posts
Lautenberg is like 182 years old. I wouldn't expect a lot out of him on anything remotely controversial. Menendez is an urban legislator obsessed over immigration legislation reform and almost nothing else aside from party fund-raising efforts. Fishing is the absolute last thing on his mind.

Just like those in our state legislature, our two U.S. Senators are products of the North Jersey political machine (Menendez, especially!) and there is little to no care coming from either of them on coastal or fishing issues, especially those near and dear to the hearts of likely Republican voters from "red" counties in South Jersey.

Also, we should be prepared to lose John Adler, a co-sponsor of Pallone's bill whose election was a fluke (no pun intended). Let's just hope John Runyan liked to enjoy some fishing in Ocean City or LBI during the NFL's off-season, since he's a shoe-in as my district's next Congressman.
John Runyan does like to fish and has a boat so it should not be a problem.

· Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the damn form letters ONLY acknowledge receipt of letter ,offers no comment pro or con
More than lightly it is automatically computer generated

· Registered
10,126 Posts
the bill has been referred to committee

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1255

S: 1255 Flexibility in Rebuilding America's Fisheries Act of 2009

This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills and resolutions first go to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee. [Last Updated: Mar 3, 2010 6:56AM]

The bill has been referred to the following committees:
Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Subcommittee on

Frank Lautenberg is on this committee.

Committees are like "mini Congresses". Most bills begin by being considered by one or several congressional committees which may "report" the bill favorably or unfavorably to the Senate or House as a whole allowing it to receive consideration by the full body and move forward, or may fail to consider a bill at all preventing the bill from moving forward. Most bills never receive any committee consideration and are never reported out. House bills start in House committees and enter Senate committees only after being passed by the House and received by the Senate, and similarly for Senate bills. Information on committee proceedings is notoriously opaque: committees vary in what information they make public and often do not provide basic public information such as the results of votes electronically or in an understandable format. Furthermore, if your Member of Congress does not sit on any committee relevant to this bill, you generally have no opportunity to voice your opinion on the bill while the bill is receiving its most important consideration.
Other Legislation with the Same Title
111th Congress: H.R. 1584Introduced
110th Congress: H.R. 4087Dead
110th Congress: H.R. 5425Dead

· Registered
390 Posts
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1255

S: 1255 Flexibility in Rebuilding America's Fisheries Act of 2009

This bill is in the first step in the legislative process. Introduced bills and resolutions first go to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. The majority of bills and resolutions never make it out of committee. [Last Updated: Mar 3, 2010 6:56AM]

The bill has been referred to the following committees:
Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Subcommittee on

Frank Lautenberg is on this committee.

Committees are like "mini Congresses". Most bills begin by being considered by one or several congressional committees which may "report" the bill favorably or unfavorably to the Senate or House as a whole allowing it to receive consideration by the full body and move forward, or may fail to consider a bill at all preventing the bill from moving forward. Most bills never receive any committee consideration and are never reported out. House bills start in House committees and enter Senate committees only after being passed by the House and received by the Senate, and similarly for Senate bills. Information on committee proceedings is notoriously opaque: committees vary in what information they make public and often do not provide basic public information such as the results of votes electronically or in an understandable format. Furthermore, if your Member of Congress does not sit on any committee relevant to this bill, you generally have no opportunity to voice your opinion on the bill while the bill is receiving its most important consideration.
Other Legislation with the Same Title
111th Congress: H.R. 1584Introduced
110th Congress: H.R. 4087Dead
110th Congress: H.R. 5425Dead

Great post! Tks. Hadn't heard of website, and great research tool! I've written Laughenberg several times on healthcare since Nov. and received same form letter each time. Guy's a joke. Should've stayed retired.

· Registered
1,374 Posts
REsponse: Typical political BS

Willie,

I wrote to Sens. Menendez & Lautenberg a few weeks ago and received a response from Menendez. It was the usual doublespeak BS that these guys always spew. But if you read between the lines he was saying that he supported the work of the Oceans Policy Commission and that we need to appreciate their hard work. In other words, pack away your fishing pole. Pew Wins.

My motto is, "Fight Organized Crime. Re-elect No One!"

· Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a response but he hasn't responded to flexibility in msa act

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the report released by the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical matter.

As you may know, the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force released its Interim Report on September 10, 2009. It proposes a national policy whose vision is "an America whose stewardship ensures that the ocean, our coasts, and the Great Lakes are healthy and resilient, safe and productive, and understood and treasured so as to promote the well-being, prosperity, and security of present and future generation." I support this vision in principle, but I want to ensure we get this policy right.

I fully recognize the value of recreational fishermen to our coastal economies. The fees and taxes they pay go toward conserving and managing fisheries in New Jersey and other coastal states. Please rest assured that I will continue working to strengthen the recreational fishing industry for present and future generations.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of more assistance. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn of other important issues to New Jersey.

· Registered
60 Posts
thanks for the update. Glad to hear your letter got through and at least gathered a reponse. I beleive thier is power in numbers, so keep reminding people to sign the registry and if possible join/contribute to the RFA. Letters help, but the #'s speaks volumes for the impact of future management decisions for the PUBLIC/RECREATIONAL sector. When the phone surveys start, respond accurately, and hopefully the true number's and facts will reach the right ears. It will not take a whole lot of research for a politician (republican/democrat/other) to realize that:

A. 1/15 - 1/20 keeper throwback ratio is probably not a overfished species, but that the problem lies elsewhere.

B. The sea bass closure was flat out wrong.

C. Rec. weakfish landings are abismal and can not be contributed to natural predation/cylical movement alone.

D. Menhaden/mackeral need continued protection to keep the oceans clean and provide the necessary forage for our gamefish up and down the coast.

E. Dogfish are more than plentiful

I'm all for the commercial sector getting thier FAIR share, whatever that may be, but that FAIR SHARE, will hopefully be determined with the input from the rec side based upon angler participation and survey results.

· Registered
978 Posts
Here is the reply after the letter acknowledgment:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the report released by the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical matter.

As you may know, the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force released its Interim Report on September 10, 2009. It proposes a national policy whose vision is "an America whose stewardship ensures that the ocean, our coasts, and the Great Lakes are healthy and resilient, safe and productive, and understood and treasured so as to promote the well-being, prosperity, and security of present and future generation." I support this vision in principle, but I want to ensure we get this policy right.

I fully recognize the value of recreational fishermen to our coastal economies. The fees and taxes they pay go toward conserving and managing fisheries in New Jersey and other coastal states. Please rest assured that I will continue working to strengthen the recreational fishing industry for present and future generations.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of more assistance. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn of other important issues to New Jersey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.