BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one to get you thinking in the off time between seasons. I know everyone out there has severel rod/reel combo's that they use for differnt fish at differnt times of the year BUT IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE ROD/REEL SETUP what would it be? I'M talking bay bum to inshore/ flounder to stripers if you could only have ONE what would it be? Spin or conventional/Light-Med- Hev action? Penn/Shimano let's get the opinions of the people who fish day in and day out! One rod one reel what would it be?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Type. Conventional.
Rod. 8 foot Lamaglass (homemade)
Reel. Shimano TR 100-G level wind.

The rod has enough backbone to handle just about everything you mentioned and light enough to enjoy the fight.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
G. Loomis SJR783 6'6" Medium Heavy Action with Shimano Stradic 2500 loaded with 8/30lb Power Pro. Caught everthing from tog, flatties, weaks, blues and stripers up here, to big cudas, jacks, permit, sharks etc. in the Keys; occasional laremouth, smallie and northerns in the sweetwater. It is a great setup and Loomis guarantees for LIFE. They have a very fair return policy as I've used it many times when I've sat on or run over one.LOL The Stradic is like butter and with PP it's line capacity is enough to whip almost anyfish to 25lbs.

P.S. I loved this setup so much that I bought the matching casting combination as well. A G. Loomis MBR783 6'6" medium heavy(same blank as above) with a Calcutta 250 loaded with 12/50 PP. It works just as nicely but it is just easier to toss lighter bait with the spinner and since you said only one set up.... oh well. LOL

[ 01-17-2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: finaddict5 ]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've picked a Penn Spin fisher big game 9ft med action 1-5oz with the Penn Live Liner 5600/ 20# Power Pro as my one and only rod and reel combo. out of all the rigs I have if I'm going to throught one in the trunk and head for the shore thats the one I grab. Pluging the beach/jetty or livelineing bait from a boat it workes it might not be the ideal rig for each but it will cover all my bases resonabley well. I have to say I prefer spinning because I only have 4 fingers on my left hand and I would rather hold the rod in my right and crank with the left but thats just me!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
5'6 ugly stik with a 1960 ocean city conventional on it.....wow!!!!...old school!!!....can't go wrong with a ugly stik. ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Loomis MBR844 GLX 7' made into a spinning setup. With a Shimano Stella 4000 with 30lb powerpro on it. I've caught nearly every kind of fish from Seabass to Stripers on it!

[ 01-18-2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Striper101 ]

G

·
G Loomis HotShot series rod 7'10" conventional with a calcutta 400 on it spooled with 150 yds 30 power pro with 12lb mono underneath. bass to 39", weakfish to 31", blues to 35", jiggin seabass and deepwater flukin'...no problems. tip is light enough to throw 1/2oz lures and rod is rated for upto 5oz. not sure of exact model # but probably best all around rod for under $200.
Nick

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I fish 99% of the time in the back bays. I have a 7' ML action St. Croix Ben Doerr Surf Rod with a Penn Power Graph III 2000. Perfect because I can use it on the sod banks, fishing the bridges, pluggin' in the inlet, drifting eels in my buddys boat, or anchored up chunking clams. Great all around for my uses.

[ 01-18-2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: barnaby ]

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
Well It would be my 7' Captain Guts Custom rod with a Penn 5500SS, but I have a 5600L on order from Jim at James Tackle and I expect that will become the set-up of choice. The next would be my Penn 975 on a St Croix 7' medium heavy rod, don't remember the number on it.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Being a LandBased Fishermen I really Need Two.

For my SodBank Stalking and Bridge Running
I would have to go with my 7'G.Loomis IMX
and my Shimano Sustain 4000FD.

For Fishing off the Jettys and Plugging the
Surf and even DeadSticking Baits on the Beach
I would go with my 9'Lamiglass and VS150.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys it looks like a pretty even split for the reels bettween Penn/Shimano conventionel/spin the rods on the other hand are more spread out with the ugly sticks a slight favorite over the loomis. When I posted the question I was thinking versitility and was surprised how much durability played in the choises. Thinking back that makes alot of sense "only one" it needs to work every time! Thanks for the responses. Now what about Rigs? Hook w/bait, Bucktail, pinkie/jighead, plug? This should get you thinking remember "only one"! Lets see where this takes us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.