BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Penn Battle yesterday. Seemed like a nice reel. Robust and smooth drag with some nice amenities on it. I have 2 Penn Sargus reels and other than the reel cap coming off once, I have been happy. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Go with the Penn Battle you won't be sorry. Unbelievable reel for the price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
we're here!, stay away from penn. THEY STINK. one story here and there is usual, but penn stories of bad reels are all over the place. try a shimano baitrunner, or a high end quantum, the cabo is three times the reel the battle is and will last you years. now, before the penn hater haters come around....:razz:

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Stradic Shimano.

All my Penn Spinning Reels have been gone a loooong time.

Had (4) 450 SS's 2 of which are in my parents home in Ireland. 2 I traded to a guy for a day of flats fishing the in his Panga off Hondorus.

(4) 550 SS's all sold at a flea market.

Always had Bail issues.

The only 2 I have kept because they are awsome Penn reels are (2) 750 SS Models fitted to my Surf Rods for pitching clams, bunker. Never would pitch plugs they are way to heavy.

Owned a few Bait Runners Shimano's they were good.

These 750's are 26 years old

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Pics of my 750"s
As I mentioned above these Reels are 26 years old. Like anything no matter the cheapest or high dollar if you don't take care of it. It will not last.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i would bet on those 25+ year old penns over the new ones any day of the week! They just dont make them like they used to. I fish both shimano and quantum. I have had great luck with both. What size and what application are you considering the new reel for?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a Penn Battle, Quantum Cabo and Shimano Baitcaster. All great reels. Best reel for the price in my opinion is the Penn Battle.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I'm,going thru my reels now regreasiing ,oiling, and respooling, I agree with the other poster, so long as you take care of your equipment it can last a life time. I have a few thirty year old reels, still working.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
For $100, Battles are tough to beat. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
We beat reels like rented mules and the Penn Battles AND Penn Sargus have held up better than any...more or less expensive included.

Daiwa BG's are solid, too.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Screw it just get a van staal you only live once.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Shimano spheros. Best spinning reels I've ever bought
Nice to see some love for the speros. Big fan of mine but nobody ever talks about them. However for durability and drag pressure I think a Battle or a Slammer would be preferrable just b/c the full metal body...

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Buy the best you can afford then take care of it. Or you wind up like me, taking care of over 30 reels, spending an entire Saturday , servicing, cleaning greasing and respooling more reels than you can ever fish , but I have to do it especially since the weather is crappy.:D.......its a labor of love.......I am soooooo ready to fish.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will try the Battle out this year and see how it does. Hopefully will get a good workout with it this spring with some nice stripers:D

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Just picked a battle 4000 for the rod I built my fiancé. Hasn't seen a drop of salt yet, but I am impressed after just foolig around with it, especially at only a hundred bones. Should be more than enough reel for anything she'll be doig with it. Personally, I still love me a cabo if I was looking for myself.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 52 Posts