BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished for herring but after reading several posts here I'm ready to try it. Business sucks so bad that I have nothing to do all day but read Bass Barn posts. All reels are cleaned and ready. Tackle is organized. I'm going nuts looking for something to do. I even washed my wife's car today.
The moon was full last night. So are the herring here or do I need to wait for the next full moon?
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Every chance I get I check my buddys house with the lights on the water. So far the big herring I want haven't arrived. Will keep checking and when they do I will post it here on the HomePort.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I spent all day on the river yesterday and the only sign of Herring I saw was an Ospray, still no seagulls. I did see a Bald Eagle though.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I haven't heard of any herring yet either just some straglers here and there. WHen I was reading the previous post about a Bald Eagle it reminded me of a day last spring when I meet one. I was walking at the Wheelabrator Nature Preserve last spring in West Deptford. I was walking on the dirt road just rounding a corner and about 20 yds ahead of me standing on the dirt road was this giant bird...looked like as big as my kid! Well I was scared at first....you know that holy sh$#...my heart was racing. Well I sat there just looking at it for about 20 seconds and then it took flight...huge wing span and a totaly effortless take off. It was one of the most amazing things to see.

Guys that fish with me know I always pick up mono that LOSER fisherman leave around, Whenever it is slow or I take a break I find a stick and start wrapping the mono around it and take it out . So I guess whay Im saying is things like this make me a better sportsman. I encourage anybody who is out to take some time and clean up some of our beautiful natural resources for the safety of the animals and us people.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Oh I forgot to type in the previous post it was a Bald Eagle.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Herring arival

Some of the old timers around Batsto said the herring show up when the lilacs begin to bud.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We fished about 5 different occasions for herring in the back and nothing to really talk about...now it is a matter of patience...i did see some scales at the spot where we fish for them though...that was a good sign!! go at night in the backwater and look for bright lights!!

good luck!

B.

·
Registered
670 Posts
hey JR

Did you fish the bay this weekend? Bigfish and I froze sunday morning out there. It still may be a bit early at our haunts.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I haven't forgotten you Gene... when I start running for them I will give you a shout.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Get your freshwater license Michael.... and bring a cooler ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Onthehook said:
Did you fish the bay this weekend? Bigfish and I froze sunday morning out there. It still may be a bit early at our haunts.
We set up the dock Friday and Sat. Waxed the boat down Sun. Yesterday was the first day out. I herd it was cold out there Sun in the AM. I have a few things to do early today but then I'm going to head back out around lunch time. Probably going solo. Still early for around here, like you said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts