BASS BARN banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The regulations are not realistic.

The season isn't consistent with common sense. (Common sense being – if you want me to catch bigger fish – I need to fish the latter half of the season – not the spring)

If I can’t keep a 17 inch fluke that’s freaking ridiculous. The bag limit is a joke. 8 fish. 8 fish. How the hell am I supposed to catch 8 trophy fish. (This is assuming that most people aren’t keeping 8 fish strictly at 18 inches. A fluke above 19 inches deserves a beer and picture of me holding it out as far as possible – so it is closer to the camera – thus making it look, relative to me, even bigger.)

Yeah – some expert here is going to cite how he targets nothing but 20+ inch fish by using big baits… Guess what – 90% of us are catching fish in the 16 inch range. I don’t have a boat – I fish from a kayak in the bay.

Hey – Bobby’s in LBI, Hey, Mike’s and Rand’s in Tuckerton – you’re going out of the boating business. The only people who will be fishing the bay are either too stupid to fish in the ocean, unable to get there (aka – no boat or crappy boat), or targeting crabs…

I follow the striper regs. I follow the weakfish regs. I even follow the bluefish regs (who cares about bluefish…). When one of you Barner’s posts a “Call your senator” or “Write your Rep” posts – I do it. I don’t attend the meetings cause – like 99% of people – I have a damn job, wife, house, car, etc. to deal with. I can’t make meetings.

I’m sure someone will tell me how I’m going to get caught. Guess what – I’m not getting caught. We all know it…

The law is no longer consistent with common sense. The law is no longer enforcing a moral or biological ‘right’. (I think a few years back we fishermen needed someone to point out, legally, that a 14 inch fish yielded virtually no fillet.) The purpose of the law is to publicly enforce a social norm or moral – as the law no longer applies to this situation – I’m no longer following it.


Thanks
and
GoNavy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,303 Posts
Go Navy-

Make sure you post no pictures of your boat, COs read this site.

I sympathize 110% with you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
82 Posts
Latter half of season

Hey Navy,

You indicate that your fishing from a kayak, yet say that you need the latter half of the season to catch larger flounder. Are you fishing 5-8 miles offshore? The best time to catch larger flounder in the back bays is late April to the end of May and maybe into some of June. By that time the water is so warm, the larger fish are heading offshore. I say screw the latter half of the season. What difference does half an inch make. Those morons that sit on the council should have increased the size limit to 18.5 inches and given everyone a longer season. But what do I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
First fact - Government on all levels are "logic free" zones! :D That being said, the regulations are designed to limit the recreational catch in NJ to a target of 766, 557 fish. They are not designed for you to catch as many fish as possible!

Hey – Bobby’s in LBI, Hey, Mike’s and Rand’s in Tuckerton – you’re going out of the boating business. The only people who will be fishing the bay are either too stupid to fish in the ocean, unable to get there (aka – no boat or crappy boat), or targeting crabs…
Hopefully they and the rest of the industry will be able to ride out the storm. The regulations are the result of the federal law (MSA) filtering down to the state level. The "environmental industry" won the battle of the lobbyists when MSA was reauthorized in Dec. of 06'. This and the SFA of 98' has led us down the road of very little flexibility in rebuilding the stocks. This is what must be changed. If you are a regular reader of this board you should be aware that your best chances of getting the law changed is to get behind the RFA and the SSFFF. Also, writing your federal legislators is helpful, however, that's something we all have to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
GoNavy said:
The regulations are not realistic.

The season isn't consistent with common sense. (Common sense being – if you want me to catch bigger fish – I need to fish the latter half of the season – not the spring)

If I can’t keep a 17 inch fluke that’s freaking ridiculous. The bag limit is a joke. 8 fish. 8 fish. How the hell am I supposed to catch 8 trophy fish. (This is assuming that most people aren’t keeping 8 fish strictly at 18 inches. A fluke above 19 inches deserves a beer and picture of me holding it out as far as possible – so it is closer to the camera – thus making it look, relative to me, even bigger.)

Yeah – some expert here is going to cite how he targets nothing but 20+ inch fish by using big baits… Guess what – 90% of us are catching fish in the 16 inch range. I don’t have a boat – I fish from a kayak in the bay.

Hey – Bobby’s in LBI, Hey, Mike’s and Rand’s in Tuckerton – you’re going out of the boating business. The only people who will be fishing the bay are either too stupid to fish in the ocean, unable to get there (aka – no boat or crappy boat), or targeting crabs…

I follow the striper regs. I follow the weakfish regs. I even follow the bluefish regs (who cares about bluefish…). When one of you Barner’s posts a “Call your senator” or “Write your Rep” posts – I do it. I don’t attend the meetings cause – like 99% of people – I have a damn job, wife, house, car, etc. to deal with. I can’t make meetings.

I’m sure someone will tell me how I’m going to get caught. Guess what – I’m not getting caught. We all know it…

The law is no longer consistent with common sense. The law is no longer enforcing a moral or biological ‘right’. (I think a few years back we fishermen needed someone to point out, legally, that a 14 inch fish yielded virtually no fillet.) The purpose of the law is to publicly enforce a social norm or moral – as the law no longer applies to this situation – I’m no longer following it.


Thanks
and
GoNavy
I agree with you but there is nothing we can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
GoNavy said:
The regulations are not realistic.

The season isn't consistent with common sense. (Common sense being – if you want me to catch bigger fish – I need to fish the latter half of the season – not the spring)

If I can’t keep a 17 inch fluke that’s freaking ridiculous. The bag limit is a joke. 8 fish. 8 fish. How the hell am I supposed to catch 8 trophy fish. (This is assuming that most people aren’t keeping 8 fish strictly at 18 inches. A fluke above 19 inches deserves a beer and picture of me holding it out as far as possible – so it is closer to the camera – thus making it look, relative to me, even bigger.)

Yeah – some expert here is going to cite how he targets nothing but 20+ inch fish by using big baits… Guess what – 90% of us are catching fish in the 16 inch range. I don’t have a boat – I fish from a kayak in the bay.

Hey – Bobby’s in LBI, Hey, Mike’s and Rand’s in Tuckerton – you’re going out of the boating business. The only people who will be fishing the bay are either too stupid to fish in the ocean, unable to get there (aka – no boat or crappy boat), or targeting crabs…

I follow the striper regs. I follow the weakfish regs. I even follow the bluefish regs (who cares about bluefish…). When one of you Barner’s posts a “Call your senator” or “Write your Rep” posts – I do it. I don’t attend the meetings cause – like 99% of people – I have a damn job, wife, house, car, etc. to deal with. I can’t make meetings.

I’m sure someone will tell me how I’m going to get caught. Guess what – I’m not getting caught. We all know it…

The law is no longer consistent with common sense. The law is no longer enforcing a moral or biological ‘right’. (I think a few years back we fishermen needed someone to point out, legally, that a 14 inch fish yielded virtually no fillet.) The purpose of the law is to publicly enforce a social norm or moral – as the law no longer applies to this situation – I’m no longer following it.


Thanks
and
GoNavy
Couldnt agree more. If im out sharking in october with flounder rigs to keep me busy and i catch a 20+ich, its dinner. I know a lot of people on this site wont agree with you, many for the reasons you stated, or will just contend to contend. But you got a pretty damn good point!

Cant really cheat on the size though myself, except for maybe rounding from 17.99999. Im 19, and we get pulled over by the sea pigs like i drive like a raving lunatic or something. They see younger people in a boat, and its like were smuggling drugs!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I totally agree. I would love to meet the people that make these laws. They obviously dont fish. They are the ones destroying the fishery...not us. I started catching flounder in the middle of April and caught them all the way to the end of October into the beginning of November. And I wasnt targeting them! We ever got them in December off the beach fishing for "bluefish" with crippled herring. I dont think the fishery is hurting. We had a fantastic season last year. I hate how they keep changing it. It is a money thing...the conservation officers will be out in full force this season. They are just doing their jobs, try not to get mad if you get stopped but I have to aggree that this is getting out of hand. New jersey in general is getting out of hand...cell phones...property tax...etc. but there is nothing we can do about it...you wont change the mind of the government. I will say this...they will make alot of people become outlaws...I know I am not too happy about taking the boat out in attempts to catch a decent amount of fish over 18". It is a no win situation...eating flounder in April can lift your spirits though!
Try to make the best out of what was given to us and be safe!

B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
bay pirates :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I live in delaware and I am not going to follow this years regs as well. I have had enough I would follow them if they were based on good science but they are based on lawsuits and peta bs. I will be eating flounder this year and will not feel bad about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I gave up on targeting them, except for tournament days. Id much rather take a run 15miles off for shark/mahi/anything and drop a flounder pole in for fun than sit in a crowded inlet all day to get 2 or 3. Plus, i drift all day out there so it only costs me gas to get there and back

And with that one rod in, you get not only flounder, but keeper seabass (not ones that are 3inches), croaker, and blues in the same amounts i would if i TRIED. F the bay this year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,618 Posts
seabear said:
First fact - Government on all levels are "logic free" zones! :D That being said, the regulations are designed to limit the recreational catch in NJ to a target of 766, 557 fish. They are not designed for you to catch as many fish as possible!



Hopefully they and the rest of the industry will be able to ride out the storm. The regulations are the result of the federal law (MSA) filtering down to the state level. The "environmental industry" won the battle of the lobbyists when MSA was reauthorized in Dec. of 06'. This and the SFA of 98' has led us down the road of very little flexibility in rebuilding the stocks. This is what must be changed. If you are a regular reader of this board you should be aware that your best chances of getting the law changed is to get behind the RFA and the SSFFF. Also, writing your federal legislators is helpful, however, that's something we all have to do.
MR.SEABEAR SIR: US POOR PEOPLE IN SJ LIKE SOME CANDY ONCE IN A WHILE. PLEASE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,158 Posts
The thing that makes the least sense about these regs is the size. We all know the females and the spawners are the 18" + fish, so basically it's ok for us to keep any spawning female flounder and kill millions and millions of offspring while the smaller flounder just tear up the bait fish that finally look to have returned to a normal state this year. Way to go, we should just make the striper regs 40"+ fish too. That will keep their numbers coming back. Sheesh, I could even somewhat side with 2 fish at 18" but EIGHT?!?!?! G-damn......they are either trying to get people to break the law more or are just flat out senseless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,680 Posts
I was talking this theory over with Biggestjack a few weeks ago. They always guess at how many fish we and the commercial guys take each year by weight, usually metric tons. By decreasing the amount of tons allowed each year and increasing the size limits for us commerical fishermen, won't we reach the slotted weight amount quicker since the fish have to be bigger?? (an 18" fish will be heavier than a 17.5" fish) :confused: :confused:

Either way we will have to deal and somehow find a way to enjoy NEW JERSEY!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
its loose loose for us :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,158 Posts
IMHO, I am a firm believer that size regulation should change very little from year to year and overall in general. Once establishing a realistic size, the only thing that should be changing should be the limit. It makes no sense to decrease overall biomass by increasing size while keeping limits the same. I could see if they dropped to 4 fish @ 18", but this is senseless and irresponsible. Steve-o, we are on the same page brother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,680 Posts
young~gunz said:
its loose loose for us :eek:
Seems like it, we should be happy we don't need a license to fish yet....:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Steve-o said:
Seems like it, we should be happy we don't need a license to fish yet....:eek:
shhhh dont give them any ideas:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,085 Posts
I will be the first one here I guess to say that keeping illegal fish...regardless of what state they are in is about as much bs as the regulations...you aren't doing anyone else any good...

I completely agree that the rules/regs are BS...but to sit here and say your going to keep 16" flounder doesn't really say much...the laws need to be changed sure...and hopefully they will, but I won't feel any sympathy for anyone who keeps shorts and gets busted...

Kind of like the kid with the ball on the play ground "i'm taking my ball and going home" theory...
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top