BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been down to Avalon 4 times this year and not one damn fish, just sharks and skates. Everyone is saying its been a bad year down there. I mean I caught a lot of fish tby this time last year. So i figured I'll save money on gas and bait by calling it quits this year, maybe I'll get a fishing liscence and take up fresh water fishing again I know I'll catch something.
My words of wisdom to all-stay away from Avalon, you'll just waste tour time and money.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
TILL WE GET THE 10 DEGREE DIFFERENCE WITHIN 2 TO 21/2 MILES DOWN TO AT LEAST 5 IT WILL STAY SUCK.THE SW WIND ALMOST GOT THE OCEAN TEMP BACK TO 50 YESTERDAY. ITS LIKE THE TOILET FLUSHING TWICE A DAY AND RATTLES THE BRAINS OF THE FISH.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Hey Ron, Be careful we might have to make you change your name, its still early don't give up hope. Take a week off ...breath
If you have to next time before you start do a fish catchin' dance ! No one will think that you are that crazy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by Jay Fox:
You guys are giving up too easy...I've been down twice since fluke season opened and came home with dinner both times. Patience.....
Jay Fox you are absolutly correct. Sure, I havn't been setting the world on fire with my catches but I've put in some time and been very patient and got some for the table. It's called fishing not catching. Besides, if it were easy every time you went out what fun would it be?

Maybe its not the fish. Maybe you might need to change your approach and try some new things. Now is the time to try new things to find what does work. To me thats what its all about. Any day I can get on the water is a good day to me catch or not.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I agree fishing is slow . I think Im 8 for(who knows) on keeper flatties out of 10 trips of which the keepers are from 2 iut of the 10 trips. I also believe my brother actually has 4 of the keepers. We have caught many bluefish (great action and just the right size for the table)Forget the gas prices,and just go fishin and take in alittle mother nature and relax. those fish will come. by the way i have lost my fishin partner (11 year old son) to bauers pond where there is plenty of action. Maybe that could work for you!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I think i have 7 keepers so far,but they were some healthy fish to 24in....Keep your head up...Being out on the water is half the FUN!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
It has been tough fishing in the back, especially around Avalon. Mostly Blues for me back there. I ran a charter around today from Avalon to Cape May and into the ocean for a Blue, 2 Stripers and 2 sharks. It was incoming all morning (had the last hour of outgoing). The water temp went from 72 deg. to 59-60 deg. That's a huge change! Ther were loads of spearing in the water, just no fish on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey guys i fished the incoming tide on sunday up turtle creek and had ten for ten on keepers of course i kept only eight. fish where from 18 to 20 inches. had to keep the motor running because of wind against tide. You wouldnt believe how many boats where drifting the wrong way, obviusly not catching fish. was using bucktail minnow, with fluro leader.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
WAY to early to give up - remeber last year it was June when the big cows where in the Monmouth surf.

Besides, catchin is just a bonus!!! Being away from the job, wife etc is priceless!!!!

3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the posts guys, I have been puttn in my time at least 6-8 per trip. Gettin sun burnt isn't fun but thats what they make sunscreen for, just to lazy to put it on, not to mention gas prices increasing driving from woodbury to avalon then back is getting a little pricy. I do enjoy my time down at the shore even if I don't catch anything. I don't mind catching sharks and skates. I have tried several spots in Avalon in my past 4 trips there, guess I'll have to find new spots. Right now I'm in the process of saving up for a small boat so I can get out on the water. I think I might make one more trip down there in early June. Just that the start of the season has been a little whacky fish wise. I'm always gonna keep my tag-I'll always sit out on a jettty or pier no matter what weather conditions bring with one exception LIGHTNING. Well good luck everyone thanks for the support/posts and enjoyable fishing trips for everyone.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
TILL WE GET THE 10 DEGREE DIFFERENCE WITHIN 2 TO 21/2 MILES DOWN TO AT LEAST 5 IT WILL STAY SUCK.THE SW WIND ALMOST GOT THE OCEAN TEMP BACK TO 50 YESTERDAY. ITS LIKE THE TOILET FLUSHING TWICE A DAY AND RATTLES THE BRAINS OF THE FISH.
You got something there.....we went out couple of nights ago and had 52 towards inlet....then 68 half way to back then 71 waaaaaaay back. Water all cloudy in warmer water and clear in colder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys the fluke fishing has been excellent in barnegat bay. This week had 10, 15 and 15 for 2 hr trips. Playing the tide. Also blackfishing has been great in the ocean with limits on last 2 trips up to 12 lbs., but would trade it for the sea bass you're catching your way.Last 2 trips have not seen a sea bass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.