BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drove over the OC Longport Bridge yesterday I watched a 200x200 foot white water / bird blitz just off of the old pilings / morings .. oh let's say 50-75 feet from them (on the bay side of the bridge, but inlet side of the morings). I haven't seen as may birds this time of year in my life. And the water was boiling. Even caught the attention of some non-fishermen who stopped simply to watch all of the commotion. Naturally I thought BASS... but knew it had to be something different. Could it be herring trapped? Sand eels? It was flat out yesterday and the water was splashing (from underneath - not bird play) at least a foot.. foot and a half. I've gotta tell ya.. it was good to see. Life in the bay in the winter. Hmmmm... c'mon Spring!!

[ 02-11-2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: fish_on ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Skip,
Could you tell if it was dead low tide?
Were the birds working on a SandBar ?
Maybe They Were Clamming,I have seen them
get crazy like that over the years working
a exposed clam bed...
If they were Herring I don't think they would
of been working them,unless something was
underneath chopping them up into pieces..
Not sure what other kind of bait would be
in the water this time of the year....
But You Never Know,If its something they can
eat they will find it.....

Thanks for the Report.......

·
Administrator
7,820 Posts
The same kind of the has been occuring on the mud flat directly behind me(across from the fuel dock @Harbour Cove South). No real violence, but ducks and birds actively feeding. It looks to me like they are picking stuff outta the mud.
Who knows...

REN

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
It was out going tide and the area they were in was by a drop off. These were all gulls and they were feeding on something , banging while they were doing it . My guess is that the water there on the bar is 1-3ft. at low...then drops off. Whatever they were feeding on, it was big enough for them to fight over.

I was there 'cause Midnight Dan called me about 3:30 screaming " THEY'RE BUSTIN". Left shop and grab binocs , rod with 'biki and went over. Birds were sitting on water...flying up about 4-5 ft. and dropping in. Pickin' and fightin' over somethin'

When Dan called he said they were banging and droppning down from alot higher and they were moving...he watched them break into 2 groups.

[ 02-12-2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: candyman ]

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I investigated last night at the new pier, but when I got there I found out the lights on the pier were off. I went out to the only lit light.. notta. I'll go again tomorow night with my . I may check corsons tonight.
Thanx for the heads up candyman.

[ 02-13-2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: eelball ]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys- Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

Candyman- thanks for backing me up here. I was worried I'd be accused as a rouser for getting people in a stir about a February blitz. ;)

Strikes- The tide was down. Not all of the way though. I imagined the gulls were dropping in and around 6-12 feet of water, based on my recollection of the area. I can say the water was completely boiling and the birds were very focused.

Red Eye- I'll have to keep my eye out over there. I'll see if it was similar.

Eelball- what time are you heading out? Could be some fish near the creek near the tower.

Capt Randy- I never thought of that! Could be a whole bunch of things with all of the dredging going on. Very good point!

Thanks again guys!! I'll be looking for more input here. I need to know what those birds were feeding on!!!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Dredge ain't no where to be seen. One behind Longport right now but it's not doing anything. that's their staging area, maybe it's busted.

Didn't they dredge Broad Throfare? We had some blowout low tides this year....sure don't look any different that it did before.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i was just down at the new pier with my binoculars, and the birds were all over the place. i brought my chart with me, and tried to figure out what depth the birds were diving into, and best i can tell, they were in the deeper channel, and not over the bar.

anyway, the birds were going crazy on whatever was in the water. there were a couple of hundred birds working over the area. they were just too far away for me to see what they were diving on, and i was also just about looking directly into the sun glare.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, they were back again tonight around 6-ish. Not quite as many as the first time I saw them.. But they were still busting. The mystery species and the birds. And to confirm, they were in deeper water than if they were on a mussel bed or a bar. Anyone going to be out puttin' around this weekend. Perhaps if you're in the area you might do a dusk fly-by by boat and find out what we're dealing with here. If it's herring, I am going to be one pumped, son of a gun!! As far as I'm concerned... if it is... it's not a moment too soon!!!

Eelball- did you make it out last night?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Things that make you go HMMMMM? This could call for a road trip! Looking forward to some more post, as I have to work this weekend. :mad:

CABIN FEVER IS SETTING IN! SWEETLAWDJEZUSHEPME!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Originally posted by Red Eye Nester:
The same kind of the has been occuring on the mud flat directly behind me(across from the fuel dock @Harbour Cove South). No real violence, but ducks and birds actively feeding. It looks to me like they are picking stuff outta the mud.
Who knows...

REN
Hey nester Across from that dock is very shallow Lots of mud like you said. My parents have a condo on the point in harbor cove. Maybe we can hook up this season and do some catchin. I am usually down every weekend.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I went last night, and the lights were on. ;) Now for the bad news. It's begining to fill in under the pier. Not much water. It was low tide, but for most of the length of the pier I couldn't get my entire sabiki in the water. Shallow. At the end there was a bit more, but not alot. Saw nothing, heard nothing, caught nothing.
So candyman and I headed for corsons. We were greeted with a dead low tide, no moving water. A half hour of bulls***ing and we gave up. Just the wrong tide.
I've decided to take the kayak over to the new pier today and paddle over to the area and get a close up look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts