BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little late,but it is the official announcment concerning the new boat docks down at Corson's Inlet State Park...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 12, 2005

Dana Loschiavo (609) 984-1423

DEP Announces Improved Fishing Access at Corson?s Inlet State Park

(05/108) TRENTON -- Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell today announced improved fishing access at Corson?s Inlet State Park in Cape May County with the recent installation of a new boat launching dock.

?This addition to the park provides much-needed access for boaters and fishermen in an area where public fishing is already very popular,? said Commissioner Campbell. ?Whether it be acquiring additional lands for fishing, installing public boat ramps or increasing wheelchair access to fishing sites, we will continue to improve opportunities for saltwater and freshwater fishermen.?

The new boat launching dock was primarily funded through a grant from the New Jersey Department of Transportation's (NJDOT) Office of Maritime Resources. The new dock will provide added convenience to boaters and fisherman launching their boats from the existing boat ramp.

?I am pleased to have had the opportunity to work with the DEP and Commissioner Campbell to help improve and preserve our marine transportation system,? noted NJDOT Commissioner Jack Lettiere.

?This is a perfect enhancement to the recreational opportunities in Cape May County,? said Assemblyman Van Drew. ?We need to ensure that the State of New Jersey invests in South Jersey in order to enhance our recreational fishing industry and our tourism industry. I will continue to fight to bring these dollars to South Jersey and I want to thank Bradley Campbell for his commitment to our region.?

The boat launch is open year round, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The dock is accessible for people with disabilities. A minimal fee is charged daily at Corson's Inlet between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day inclusive.

The inlet is also the gateway to the Cape May Marmora Wildlife Management Area that contains ecologically sensitive tidal salt meadows and marshes interspersed with shallow coves and bays. The area is important for its breeding populations of osprey, American oystercatcher, least tern, black skimmer and peregrine falcons. The area is also a popular fishing ground for summer and winter flounder and is home to a productive shellfishery.

Sin ce 2002, DEP has provided anglers with 45 new fishing access areas across the state. Fishing contributes over $1.4 billion annually to the state's economy and provides more than 12,000 jobs.

Corson?s Inlet State Park was established in 1969 to help protect and preserve one of the last undeveloped tracts of land along the state?s oceanfront. It provides an excellent opportunity for many types of boating, ranging from canoes to large motor boats, sailboats and jet skis.

Commissioner Campbell was joined today by Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, Assemblyman John Gibson, Ocean City Mayor Henry Knight and Upper Township Mayor Richard Palombo.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Hey strikes, do you know what they did, widen the existing boat ramp, build a new one???

Have not launched my yaks from the state park yet this year....but was planning to this weekend!

Thanks - sjb

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Provides an excellent opportunity for jet skis, alright... :rolleyes:

sjb:
They did nothing to the existing ramp. All they did was install a new floating dock alongside the old ramp for easier boat access.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Exactly What Fly Ty R Said,,

Here is a picture I took...

Floating dock that runs down along the west side of the ramp then it angles towards the bridge..

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Thanks for the pic strikes, hopefully see ya down there sometime, shouldn't have any trouble spottin your yak!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
NIGHTSTRIKES, I know you frequent that area. What do you think of the refuse policy? No trashcans/dumpsters, carry in/carry out. I observe this policy. I stopped in Saturday evening to show a few friends how nice it is. There were nice little piles of garbage everywhere. Looks like some people are willing to bag their trash neatly, but not bring it with them. Others will hide it in the dunes, so they won't be seen leaving it in the lot. I don't think they will ever will put it into their car. Most would probably throw it in a dumpster, though. Will this policy change? I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I launched my yak from there the morning of the ceremony. I launched at 6am and when I cam back at 10am, cones were placed blocking the parking spots closest to the ramp. The only spot that didn't have a cone was where my van was parked. I was talking to the guard and found out about the reps coming that day. He told me that he brought the idea of blocking the spots off to his boss, that way the reps wouldn't have to park on the street and walk.

Al

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Dam, I wish my dady had a house in OC and bought me a 200 hp wave runner so I could stay in the inlet when the weather get`s warm ,and get up at 9am.And run it within 50 yard`s of the beach and run back and forth in front of those guy`s with the fishing rod`s that got up at 3.45am and paid there beach permit`s to drive on the beach.Daddy he threw a hook at me.. That`s OK son I know some one at the office....there will be somthing done about this.Sorry to say...former corson`s permit holder.Only 5 years.I`ll deal with the plovers.Reel Quick.Sorry hit a nerve with that one.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OverTheRail,
Good Question concerning the trash problem down there.I never did understand why they have trash cans on the bridge and not the park..I guess the state and the city cannot cooperate with eachother as far as collection.I mean the city has to pull in that parking lot to clean the cans on the bridge..Its mostly a isolated summer problem
people who visit the park during the Spring and Fall seem to be aware of the Carry In - Carry Out Policy and its not that bad..
And I am not happy about the fact that you now have to pay $50.00 for a Part Time Beach Buggy Permit and Launching Fee's during the Summer and they only add a couple of floating docks to the ramp and make such a big deal about it..
How about a Air and Fresh Water Station at the entrance to the beach off of Central Ave. Lets Pay the City or have the State Workers pick up the trash left around the boat ramp and in the dunes on a regular basis..
Its a great place to fish and was very reasonable when the ramp was free and permits only $25.00.
But once again we are getting the shaft here...

[ 08-18-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Trash cans result in more trash. People empty their week's worth of household trash into the cans, overflowing and everything. It happens everywhere there are unguarded cans. That is why they don't have cans there, I would think. Carry In-Carry Out is a much better policy.

[ 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I guess you're right, Fly Ty R. They would be full of matresses and broken beach chairs. I figured it had more to do with wild people than wild animals.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fish cleaning stations would be nice!!
They sell ya a sportfishing permit , but you're not supposed to clean em anywhere.
Of course all NJ state parks are like that. IBSP and Fortescue also come to mind.
Other states seem to get it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts