BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never posted in this forum before and haven't posted anywhere for a while but if you all could offer some advice I'd appreciate it.

I've been looking for my first boat for a while and I think I may have found it. It's a 17' sylvan pro fisherman with a 55 hp Yamaha. (Is this underpowered?) It looks to be a later model about 5 years old. It has walk through glass. Seems to be in great shape with just a little wear and tear. Don't know how many hours are on the engine yet. No electronics.

Anybody have experience with these boats? What's a fair price? Personally I think its going cheap. Guy needs to raise some cash. I'm looking for a bay and river boat.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
DAVE-- WELCOME BACK TO THE BARN.DO YOU PLAN TO FISH FRESH OR SALT WATER?IF SALT WILL THE BOAT BE KEPT IN THE WATER?SYLVAN IS SOLD MAINLY AROUND FRESH WATER.IF YOU THINK THE BOAT HAS BEEN IN A LOT OF SALT HAVE IT CHECKED WELL.SOME ALUM. BOATS ARE FINE IN SALT WATER SOME ARE NOT.THE ENGINE SHOUD BE CHECKED BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS.CKECK THE NADA BOOK FOR THE VALUE OF THAT RIG.BE SURE BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET THERE IS A LOT OF BOATS OUT THERE.SPEED WISE I WOULD THINK IT IS FINE.GOOD LUCK AND I'M SURE OTHERS WILL POST TO TRY TO HELP.POST PRICE SO IF SOMEONE IS FAMILAR WITH THE BOAT THEY CAN GUAGE IT.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack

Both fresh and salt. It will be kept on a trailer. Asking 3 grand. I don't think its seen a lot of use. Also included is trailer. Steering but no trim on motor.

[ 01-03-2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Backwater ]

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Give him 2 Cash. Get a 1000 in 20's and the rest in 100's and make nice wad. Meet him at bar, have a couple beers , then slap that wad on bar and see if he'll bite.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Bought first boat that way, St Paddy's Day 1979 Maynards Cafe...sellers were 2 Margate firemen who didn't want to be partners anymore. ;)

best 1000 me and my partner ever spent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts