BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do use an ACDelco M27MF deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. I also use it to start the outboard.

I have never had an issue running out of power even after a long, 8 or 10 hour, day of fishing. I always put the battery on the charger at the end of the day. I was just looking to kick up the outboard charge amperage that's all. can never have to much power.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I have a 1990 40HP evinrude outboard E40TELESR. It has a puny 5 amp charging circuit. It there a way to increase this?
In a word, no.....but Barnacle Bill will know for sure... And if there is it will cost twice what the engine is worth..

Figure on another Batt...and a way to charge it. It's cheapest way to cure the problem.

Even if you could double the output. 10 amps won't help when you are talking trolling motor type draw considering you'd need better than 3/4's throttle to get the full 10 amps.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but my father runs a one year old yamaha 2 stroke 25 in the fresh with a 40lb trolling motor when we run to canada for bass. He runs no electronics. He uses the trolling motor all day and the motor alone charges the battery. He didnt have to charge the battery all week.

My forty yamaha used some juice and the electronics ate it up too. Add a battery to the boat, best choice.

Newer motors have higher alternator out. :huh:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but my father runs a one year old yamaha 2 stroke 25 in the fresh with a 40lb trolling motor when we run to canada for bass. He runs no electronics. He uses the trolling motor all day and the motor alone charges the battery. He didnt have to charge the battery all week.

My forty yamaha used some juice and the electronics ate it up too. Add a battery to the boat, best choice.

Newer motors have higher alternator out. :huh:
I have no problem with my setup now. It serves me well. I have no electronics as well. My battery is always on a charger when I am not using the boat. I was looking to increase the output on the off chance I increase my electrical demand.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No outboard charging system will keep up with a trolling motor. THis is the reason bass boaters run with with dual deep cycles that are used just for the trolling motor and nothing else. They get charged back up at the end of the day with a battery charger.

Can the charging circuit be upgraded?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.