Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been in touch with The
Principal Fisheries Biologist at
the Bureau of Marine Fisheries concerning
these Striped Bass with some kind of infection,
disease,sores etc.that we have been catching
especially around the OceanCity Area....

And Here's What Was Told To Me,And
What We Can Do If We Catch Another One
in order to find out what is causing this....
--------------------------------------------------
Steve:

Our fish pathologist would be able to examine any diseased stripers
that you provide.
Fresh (on ice) specimens would be best (preferred), but frozen are
acceptable for bacteriology.

He looked at the pictures you had and made the following comments:
" I really don't have any idea what it might be from looking at the
pictures.
The bloody tail looks like either mechanical damage or a bacterial
infection,
but the smaller, more focal lesion might have been caused by
parasites.
It would be difficult to find external parasites from a frozen
sample,
particularly if they were something small like protozoans".

If you are willing to provide a sample(s),
we would need to work out the logistics.
If you catch a fish on a Friday, freeze it,
because the earliest we could deal with it would be Monday.
Otherwise, put it on ice and call us (609) 748-2020.
Our summer help has not started and
many permanent staff are in the field or away at meetings, but,
we should be able to come down and pick the sample up.
The pathologist is at the Pequest Hatchery is in Oxford, NJ Warren
County,
so it will take someone most of a day to drive up and drive back.

When collecting a diseased fish for a sample:

1) make sure it is of legal size (I can not authorize you to take
sub-legal fish for samples).

2) get it on ice right away.

3) wear latex or nitrile gloves to prevent contact with skin.

4) record: date, time and location fish was caught; length, your
name and phone number.

5) contact us as soon as possible

Again If You Come In Contact With A Bass that
looks like this;

Please Use Caution and Contact the Authorities..
Appreciated,,
Thanks Again,,

Steve

[ 06-08-2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
723 Posts
steve thanks for trying to find out what it is and how we can find out about hopefully we will be able to get some more fish like those and have them checked for everyones saftey and maybe even the fish's saftey.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Great job on the info ,Steve.
I never thought I'd have to bring latex gloves to go fishing.Yuck!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Is it just me,, or does it seem like no one cares about this possible infection but us anglers,, i mean wouldn't it seem more appropriate for the state to send someone down hear to collect fish for a week,,just my two cents,, thanks for the info steve

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Good Luck Guys!!! Anything I can do let me know. I have been down this road by myself to absolutly no avail. Ask yourself this, If it is harmful to humans do you think anyone at F&G will open up to the public about it? Doubt it! Too much money has been spent recreationally to bring the species back to sustainable levels and now even more money to protect from commercial fishing so we can now spend even more money to catch bigger ones!

It's a business and I do not think any horns will be blown on a fish that is generating soooooo much revenues in so many different sectors. Charter boats, bait an tackle shops, restaurants, lodging, boat sales, website communities on fishing and the list goes on!

A few unlucky anglers will need to be infected severly or even death, if possible for any statements will be issued. It is the way it goes. No traffic lights go up at a busy intersection until a few people die trying to cross safely. Fact!!!

Just my opinion!

[ 06-04-2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Scaleman ]

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Jeff, How you doing? I know you have been busy with work and family. Hope one of these days you will be able to make it to a SJCFA meeting. We are still going strong and having fun. Hope you have had a chance to use the long rod.

·
Registered
600 Posts
maybe there are to many stripers??? could be, maybe they should let guys like fishpicker or myself thin them out a little bit??

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hey Captain Ray! Yes things are well. Fished last night a little with the fly rod but nada! Only my second trip of the year both with fishies though. We are about to be parents any day and looking very forward to it!

How are the Boys in SJCFA, I knew that club was going to be nothing but a success.

Good to be back on the Barn, this topic interests me and I am very interested to see the outcome if any.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Caught one last night at Ship John. Half the tail was missing and bleeding profusely.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just a gueess but with so many doggies in the surf do you think they are chaseing a hooked bass and biteing at their tail. I cought one a couple weeks ago and tail looked like it just got tore off as I was bringing it in.....Just an idea....

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Jeff good to hear from you and good luck with the family. SJCFA is doing well. Like you, some of our members are starting new familes, moving etc. This time of year everyone is trying to fish. I get out personally atleast a few times a week since I live down here and am 5 minutes to boat and most of my charters are in the summer months. I seem to get alot of people from out of state that come to Cape May for the historic tour and want to fish and only have one or two people. Totally different from the 6 man charters that I used to run on the big boat. I love it. I mostly run 4hr early morning or evening trips, right at prime time. I find I use the flyrod as my primary rod. Fishing has been great. Water is warm and bass are hitting surface flies and there are sea herring and blues along the beach. I have only had a few ugly fish this season and both were caught the same night possibly from the same school. Most of the fish are good color and condition. Hope we don't get alot of the bad stuff that seems to be popping up here and there. Good Luck.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

???Infected Weakfish Now ???

I was able to get some samples over the
weekend,and I will be sending the off to
a Fish&Game Biologist this week...

Will See........

·
Registered
723 Posts
strike are most of these fish your getting in the o.c. area i havent sen too many down in cape may. hopefully the people you sent them too will be able to give us some info on what it is and how we can help prevent it.

[ 06-13-2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: CLAMCHUNKER ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shawn,
Yes, All in the same spot in OC.....

·
Registered
723 Posts
dman your quick i went to edit and you had already replied. :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We also got a good sample of a Very Infected
Striped Bass caught up in the Tuckahoe River
over the weekend thats being picked up as I
type...

Thanks Karen.......

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the closing of Pecks Bay. Talked to a guy who clams that area and he said they closed it cause the guys who were taking samples got rash on arms.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A thumbs up to NIGHTSTRIKES for sending some fish for research!

As many will tell you what we are likely seeing is mycobacteriosis. What many will not tell you is that it's potentially zoonotic. That is, it can be spread to humans. It also affects other species including birds and pigs. I'm not trying to scare anybody, but if you have an open cut then you can get infected. I would take caution handling these fish as such lesions make the fish vulnerable to invasion by secondary bacterial, fungal and protozoal pathogens as well.

Mycobacteriosis: An Infection You Could Acquire From Your Aquarium
http://www.syngnathid.org/articles/mycobacteriumInfection.html

I know from my aquariums that poor water quality and overcrowding make fish susceptible to a whole host of bacteria that already exist in the water. As far as the cause for stripers my guess is crummy water (or limited good water) and too many fish in the spawning areas. Just like when I let my fish tank get overcrowded and I get flukes or ich.

Everybody wants more fish, but who says our ecosystem will support them? Currently, groundwater runoff from urban sprawl and agriculture spills right into the key spawning grounds of these fish. Has anybody considered that maybe a newly introduced agricultural chemical is the cuplrit?

Or how about all these new neighborhoods? It forces oil soaked rainwater down the drain and right to the streams that feed the rivers. So rainwater never gets a chance to percolate into the soil, because it's all paved over now. And where there is soil the agricultural industry is out of control with its use of chemicals. Heavy spring rains create enormous floods of chemical laden groundwater. (If you research fish culture you'll see high ammonia concentrations linked to bacteria that causes tail rot.)

What is most disturbing is we built up this stock of fish and it's likely the cause of the increased spread of infection. We don't even know if the infection is spread to offspring.

My belief is that our rivers and bays are inadequate to handle the ocean numbers of fish returning to spawn. I fear somebody's math is terribly wrong and that a problem of this scope will likely only be solved by mother nature running her course. Followed of course by a bunch of bureaucrats taking credit.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here Are The Pictures of the Striper That Was
Caught Up The Tuckahoe River Last Weekend....
Sick Stuff- Huh ???

1 - 20 of 59 Posts