BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding New Jersey Inlets & BackBays.
Striped Bass,Weakfish,Bluefish,Fluke,Tog & Seabass.
As much info that you like - tides,conditions,weather,baits/plugs,water temps techniques,etc.etc......
But Please No Exact Spots,,,Thanks NS

-------------------------------------------------

Wrapped up my Spring BackBay Season the other night before the action shifts to the Surf for me over the next month and half.And Its Been
A Good One For Me This Year....
It started out very slow,arrived to the waters edge and found very flooded conditions due to the Full Moon and Stiff SE wind that created a
chop on the bay during the end of the in-coming tide.Hung out and waited for the tide swing and even after that things did not improve all that much.Little signs of bait present except for some needlenose's,the tide took forever to move because now conditions were wind against tide.
But I waited and chatted with some fishermen that I met for the first time. One of them earlier in the day got into some blitzing bluefish and Diamond Jigged up 36"/14lb Weafish
below the school off his boat by the inlet.
I decided to work a "elvated platform "(bridge)for some Weakies in which I had no success yet this year but it is one of my favorite approaches for them. I took a little while to find and figure them out but when I did I was rewarded with some nice one's.Not Tiderunner status but I wound up with (3) in the 5-6lb Class. Working my BubbleGum
Zoom on 1/2oz Jig letting the current take it under the bridge and then frantically moving it on the bottom produced some really hard hits...

This coming Saturday 5/20 I will be fishing for Team Bassbarn during the NJ Angler Surf Tournament up on IBSP..If anyone is interested
in fishing for the Barn - Email Me...
Then making a serious effort plugging some new custom wood along the beaches from SandyHook down to LBI into June..

Take Care Everyone Have A Great Fishing Week...

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Strikes,
good luck to you guys in the tourn. next week. Hope to have my boat in soon and posting some back bay reports. Latest I've ever put in and it's killing me.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Me too!! And all the reports of the big flatties are driving me crazy sitting here at work!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Got into some blues tonight.Crystal minnow, rattle trap, both worked well. But, it was the 6in yellow bomber that caught two flounder. Fish were spittin up baby bunker?? , water wasn't to deep....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Recoverin from getting my tonsils yanked but went down for the day. Took it easy and hit some docks with a 1/4 oz white buck and some mackeral strips. Fished about two hours on either side of low and ended up with three keepers with the biggest going 3.30# and around 20 inches. Also got a 14 inch striper and missed a couple more flatties. The 3 pounda was stuffed with 4 inch long sandeels (?). Pretty badly decayed and the other stomachs were empty.

Didnt get a chance to go huntin at night but Ill be back at it in about a week.

RyanF

·
Registered
673 Posts
fished barnegat bay near the ****, 3:00 to 8:00 anchored and dunked some clam. wind and tide were a prob and the water was pretty dirty. Finally found some clean water and good tide. dad hooked into a real nice one that got off after riping off 50yards of line. Missed two others. Very frustrating day but still fun.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Got a call monday morning talking about a good weakfish bite on sunday night, it was cloudy and raining when i left Philly so i figured i would try for a daytime weakfish bite but when i got to south jersey in was blue skys an 71 degrees so my plans changed to fluke for a few hours before i tried for the weakies, i had 6 fluke with only 1 being a keeper at 19 inches all were caught on Berkley Gulp Shrimps in the New Penny color, when the sun started to set i went to where i heard of a decent weakfish bite on sunday night, for the first 2 hours it was all blues and shad and then i started the weakfish bite with a small 5 lb fish and then my buddy Frank got a 29 inch bass, and a guy to my left got a 33 inch bass, the tide went slack high and as soon as the tide started to run out i had 2 more weakies up to about 7 lbs all fish were released to finish there spawn, i'll be back at it tomorrow looking for the LARGE Bass and Weakies, I love vacation. :D

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Went out last night got 1-24" 1-18" really didn't figure on much after all the rain. I think I would done better if I had some eels. Oh well there is alot of days to come.
Behind OC

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tried last night for a little, weather was nice, but with all the action during the day I could hardly keep my eyes open. Did manage one bass, and called it. Then this morning I got a call about how good it got late,late night in avalon......

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Got out lastnight and went to the same spot as the previous night and found only 1 rat Bass, the rest of my vacation i will be gearing up for Saturdays Tournament.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Originally posted by RyanF:
Recoverin from getting my tonsils yanked but went down for the day. Took it easy and hit some docks with a 1/4 oz white buck and some mackeral strips. Fished about two hours on either side of low and ended up with three keepers with the biggest going 3.30# and around 20 inches. Also got a 14 inch striper and missed a couple more flatties. The 3 pounda was stuffed with 4 inch long sandeels (?). Pretty badly decayed and the other stomachs were empty.

Didnt get a chance to go huntin at night but Ill be back at it in about a week.

RyanF
Ryanf, I have been seeing the funkiest bait back there. Had bass pucking up 6 inch spearing and seen a school of planktonic bunker last night. Great spring baitwise.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Insomniac,

I agree man. I havent been out bass fishing in a while but when I am fluking I am been doing much better using very thin strip baits about 5-6 inches long.

RyanF

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Originally posted by billc:
Went to avalon today. Missed a blue caught 1 10" tog and a 21.5" rock. It was dead every place we went.
Bill, I was stuck in the office all day. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
nice afternoon on Wednesday...about a dozen fluke with four keepers (one at 25"), one nice seven lb. weakfish, two blues, and one rat striper.

My first back bay slam!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
went out last night bought the SKUNKAROO. 25 trips second skunk, I guess I can't complain. Had one hook up. water was pretty dirty and moveing fast.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts