BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding New Jersey Inlets & BackBays.
Striped Bass,Weakfish,Bluefish,Fluke,Tog & Seabass.
As much info that you like - tides,conditions,weather,baits/plugs,water temps techniques,etc.etc......
But Please No Exact Spots,,,Thanks NS

-------------------------------------------------

Over the weekend some late night action heated up,Post-Spawn TideRunner Weakfish and Keeper Bass busting on bait. All in the backwater and all on Black/Purple Bombers...

Everyone Have A Great Fishing Week,,

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well Dads day out with pop produced..... 0 yep 0. Actually we were out from 6am till 9:30 trolling from BI north, and then again past the inlet south. On our way south birds started working right outside the inlet. Before you knew it there were 75 boats there. It was actually kinda comical as instead of fishing we watched. Between the bennies ripping right through the birds, and all the boats trying to follow the birds, it was kinda funny to watch as the birds scattered and then all the boats moved all over again. TIP... when birds are working, come up slow, or stay outside the area and let them come to you. Happys pops day everyone anyway, it was fun.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fished behind Avalon Sunday AM 1st hour of the outgoing, got one bass, my guess was about 28" but my son done took my tape out of my fishing bag "Happy Fathers Day"! so it went back. God I love that Kid!!! One other hit and that was all. 1/4oz white jig with natural gulp shrimp.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Got out for the first time this year on the boat since my daugter was born. Fished the causeway at the last of the high tide. caught 1 short bass and 1 15.5" fluke both on clam. It was great to get out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
took my daughters out for dad's day. fished behind o.c. at a well known flounder spot. i was hoping to at least get a short or two for my 9 yr old. nada, not even a touch! tried everything, gulp, minnows,herring, mackeral.

[ 06-19-2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: crambone ]

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Fished ludlam Saturday morning. Fluke were hitting everything. Minnows, mackeral and gulp shrimp. 10 throw backs and 4 keepers.
Sunday was a slow morning with 7 throw backs and one keeper. I was surprized that I did not catch any blues.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a shot of a couple of late spring fish that were hanging out together in the South Jersey Backbays that my good friend Ron (BassCharger)fooled with the go-to Blurple Bomber.

32"/8.7lb Weakfish & 29"/8.3lb Striper.

The water was alive with surface action during the late night out-going tide and the night included some other hits & misses with smaller fish aswell.

Good Job Ronny,

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Got the slam and then some last night! Started out behind WWC with three throw back Flatties at the beginning of the outgoing on the Gulp Shrimp. Switched to some top water poppin and landed two bass to about 22". Made another move and we got into the weakies using pinkies and white Gulp shrimp, 10 trout to 21". Also landed three small blues, two keeper flatties to 19" and several shad which decided to take over after an awesome night. I'm heading back out now ;) Sorry no pics, batteries died but I can't complain.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Striper13, what kind of boat do you have? Was wondering if it was you I saw yesturday evening. Great Report by the way. We had a good trip too, posted in the Fly Fishing forum.

[ 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Bill Couch ]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Fished behind Sea Isle yesterday,last 2.5 hours of the incoming,had 5 Bass biggest was 27".also had 4 doggies about 3'long.Those big dogs put up a real nice fight.The Bass were all caught on clam.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fished in back last night for 4 hours around the
bottom of the tide in the O.C. area. Man did it
suck! I took the skunk...this time last year
there were peanuts everywhere with bass all over
them. Hopefully, it's not too late! The water
felt awefully cool for the end of June???

·
Registered
984 Posts
New to the barn, been reading everything I can find on tactics etc. Caught a 42" Stiper on a friends boat out in the rips last Nov. and that got me hooked on ocean fishing, previously into Steelhead and Salmon in upstate NY.
Got the fish mounted, bought a 97, 19' Seaswirl Stiper 1850dc, see my url, took the boating coarse & passed.

Been out on my and on my friends boat the last two Sundays in bays behind Wildwood out of Cape May Harbor.
Threw everything posted here at them and got one short flat was all last week, one keeper flaty the Sunday before.
Been mostly fishing middle of the day.
Seems from many of the posts that the best fishing is early morning, evening and night and seeing guys posting hitting fish on all tides even slack low. Does the boat traffic shut them down?
We mix our rigs and baits up trying fish finders w clam/squid, clam/minnow, while they are out I am throwing Gulp shrimp in Penny & Natural on 1/2 or so jig heads working channels, feeder creeks, drops, sod banks on outgoing, not much luck.
I think we are rigged right just not working the right places at the right times in the back bays of Wildwood.
Hoping to get some smaller ocean waves soon to go out in the ocean more, not so comfortable yet in 2-4's with a 19 ft. boat.
So I am starting to think we arent doing something right, wrong times, wrong places?
I tried all I can think of and seen posted except fishing early AM and nights but starting to think that is the way to go?
Any and all tips appreciated.
Frank

·
Registered
95 Posts
fished with eagleocnj late afternoon into night on wednesday. caught mid to end of outgoing behind oc (northend) 3 for 3 on keeper fluke. gulp shrimp and herring strips were the bait of choice. went to a bridge at slack low, nothing happening

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Welcome to the barn Papabear! Your be addicted to this site, believe me....Keep on doing what your doing, eventually you'll find what works best for you. Use a white bucktail for flounder with a piece of mackerel or herring, thats it! Put out a rod with a single gold hook with just a big fat minnow while your bucktailing! Try and get out early in the morning to beat the yahoos. May is the best month for backbay flounder fishing. Its gonna start switching to ocean fishing real soon. Hit the reefs they are within your reach, only a few miles of the beach. Good luck and keep reading.......

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, seems like a great group of people here. I am new to the boating in the ocean part too. My buddy can't fish as often as I can and I don't want to go out alone in my boat too much just yet, especially at night.
Maybe I will find a few of you decent folk to fish with at times, show me some of the ropes.

Thanks for the tips. I have fished for 30+ years almost all freshwater and love the steelhead fishing in NY too. But the ocean and never knowing what will bite is awesome imho.
I think I have to learn more about fish movements at different times of the year for one thing, but reading some of the posts it looks like even the most experienced get skunked at times too.
I bought a south Jersey chart that covers the oceans and shows a few wrecks. I have an old timers Loran hot sheet he created over the his many years. I am just taking my time getting used to going out into the ocean as I said I only have a 19 footer and dont know what it can and cant do in what kind of weather and waves yet either.
With folks like you and the Barn I am off to a good start I think.
Thanks again!
Frank

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.