BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Bassbarn-
I am a new register but have been listening in for a year. Thanks to all for all the great talk and advice. For you experienced guys that fish the Barnegat area, when do you find it better to fish the inlet vs. the back bay flats? Different tides, seasons?? Thanks! Will report after April 2 launch.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Hey Ripp-
welcome to The Barn. I'm a Deleware Bay guy so I can't answer your question- but I'm sure some of the sharpies around here will respond soon enough.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Ripp.

Depends on what you are fishing for. I'm down here in Wildwood but have fished your area in the past.

Not a ton of food in the inlet early in the season. Most fish will just shot through for the more fertile back waters. The flats wil warm up much faster in the spring sun and that can mean a lot to cold blooded fish.

If I were fishing your area I'd look for the channels where the flats empty out on the out going tide. This wil be the warmest water and should concentrate bait and fish. The most abundent food in early spring are grass shrimp and shiners. They wil be in the shalow back bay flats areas.

Fall is the best time for the inlets. This is where the schools of baitfish like mullet and peanut bunker will school up for their run out.

Not saying there aren't fish in the inlets during the spring run. Just always did beter during that time back in the flats area.
Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Rip,
Good to have you on board. Wow, looks like April 2 is a big launche date. Just one word of advise, make sure you you have a good captain who can work the current and Flat lines around that light house area at the bottom of Oyster creek, It will prove to boat a lot more stripers.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Welcome Ripp

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Both

But I would be in the back on an ebb to outgoing during the day like Fred said.

Don't overlook shallow inlet flats on an ebb tide with a lot of sunlight either

Dead low try the mouth of the inlet, stay shallow and soak a clam

Gotta remeber your are targeting BOTH schollies and resident bass at this time. Most schollies will keep on the beaten path if you know waht I mean

Hope this helps

·
Registered
629 Posts
start anywhere from the monument to under the shadow of ol barney just after the top of the tide. as she begins to pick up some steam work your way farther back to the entrance to double creek or the sod. two hours into the outgoing seems to be happy hour back there. just dont go back for anouther drift wide open!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.