BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of one of these phones to use offshore this year. Anybody have any recommendations on where to get one. I would like a monthly plan so I can turn it off during the off season. I have a Globstar that is worthless. Thanks

·
Vendor
296 Posts
I would be interested as well. Is there a reasonably priced unit with service. That i would only use for emercency purposes.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Got one last year....

If you do a search on the internet there are really only two players i found. I got the phone a pelican case all the bits and 100 mins prepaid for $800 bucks. The mins can be used for a year. Could not beat the deal and the service is 100% reliable! Double the price for a good iridium; I use it only for emergencies and it totally meets the need.

http://www.gmpcs-us.com/

·
Registered
726 Posts
The only knock on these phones that I heard was that they took a while to acquire the sat signal when powered up. That may have been addressed with recent upgrades.

I have an Iridium that works great and acquires the signal in seconds, but the Inmarsat seems like a good value.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IsatphonePro

Give us a call we are dealers for the IsatphonePro and all the other options. I can give you all the rate info too. The phone works very well, hardly any drop calls that some other phones may have issues with. Thanks

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
We got a new Imarset phone last year, works great, no issues when powering up for us but ours is pretty new, I'll check what plan and cost we spent and post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
973 Posts
We have the iSatphone Pro with the emergency plan which, if I remember correctly, is 60 minutes for $150 per year.

·
Registered
829 Posts
can these sat phones be used as reliable way for someone to get ahold of you if it is kept on ? I run a small business and worry about being out of contact on those weekdays when the seas lay flat and you just have to go...

·
Registered
973 Posts
can these sat phones be used as reliable way for someone to get ahold of you if it is kept on ? I run a small business and worry about being out of contact on those weekdays when the seas lay flat and you just have to go...
My understanding of Inmarsat's network is that there is a satellite up around 22,000 miles in geosynchronous orbit so there is no waiting for a satellite to orbit past to get a signal. Once the phone registers on the network, which takes about a minute or so to get the GPS fix and register, as long as you keep the phone antenna reasonably pointed at the satellite you should be good. They make a marine docking station that I imagine has an external antenna and I think may even receive a GPS fix from your onboard GPS to eliminate having to aim the phone antenna.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts