BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow what a trip....if you like jigging get down to Hatteras.

Adam,Dente,Glenn and myself fished aboard the Tuna Duck...it was lights out jigging. On are first drop we had 4 on and landed all of them.

We fished in 800ft of water with most tuna marked 50-150ft...these fish
were all big as many took 250-300yrds of line with 24lb of drag on there first run.

At the end of the day we went 12 for 15 with the biggest @71'' 200+

Gear used:

Reels: New Stella 20000,18000..Old School 10000
Accurate 30
Dawia Z 6500

Rods: Fisherman Spnoza short
Hotts Wei World, One Pich Slyder
Jigging Master
Spinal Custom

Lures: FC Labo,Andaman,Hooker,Stingo Fish prototype jig.

Some pictures...more to come when i get them.

Hooked up...Spinoza Short, this rod is a beast.

Adam and Glenn hooked up

1 of 3 i landed

My beast

Adam's very nice tuna

Dante hooked up

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
This man will be joining us this summer on the Hooked Up 11

John Flores and I have been discussing John doing some teaching on our boat this summer. John is nothing short of a tremendous jig fishermen but better than that a great guy that is willing to share his knowledge of this type of fishing to help others enjoy jigging as much as he does. He flat out amazes me and and as well as any of our crew members that ever fished with him.
Great trip, awesome pictures plus report.

·
Registered
946 Posts
What a trip boys, fishing was insane and had some serious anglers on the boat we def put the heat on fish. I am still in bed and cant move ive never been as soar as i am right now, either im getting old or i have to get back on the sauce. The gear we used were all beasted but i was very impressed with the spinoza blank i fought a fish for a few minutes on it and i loved it, the jm 500 is as well a beast and ive never had a problem with the rod.
As far as tackle failure adam smoked a diawia on a pig and glen stella reel handle broke, my twin spin didnt get smoked just a screw came out of the bail so i couldnt use it. But nothing major just a screw ive personally have caught about 20 large blue fin on the twin spin and never had an issue.
The last fish i caught was on a jaws 30-60 7'6 conv rod with a accurate b2 30 and it was no match for that reel, that reel is the most powerful piece of machine ive ever used. Here are a few pics.
I was 4-5 and lost one on the saragosa which only had 65 lb braid, which just isn't big enough for these fish.
I had a blast with some great guys and awsome fisherman will hopefully be doing it again soon. Im looking to put a trip together in the next to weeks so if anyone is interested shoot me an email [email protected]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
tuna fishing

we were on the capt snag fishing the same area as you it was a great trip it was just ashame the current was running at 4 knots but we had 15 hook ups and taged 2 and keep one at 69 3/4 inches at 179 lbs amd released the rest it is ashame the drive down is so long but it is worth it we tried plugging but had no luck did you hook up pooping any:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i cant wait to stick a few of those pigs this year.

how long did it take to land the 71"? and what set up was used on that fish?

great report , and photos john

Zar,

I caught that 71'' and it kicked my ***....... but i got him solo.

The setup was.....Fisherman Spinoza Short rod
Stella SW 20000 [old Japanese Modle]
Line PE 8

Capt John,

Thank you for the kind words....these fish pushed me to the limit.

Looking forward to comming down this summer.

Superfly,

IMO the Stella's are the best spinning reel in the world.... They were the
first reels made for jigging/popping and it show's...nothing come's close.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I just got back from NC myself. I fished with a few great local guys.We fished monday and hooked up with 6. Due to tackle problems and hook pulls we didnt land a fish that day. A torium 30 is just no match for the big ones.So with bruised pride, sore muscle and a little determination we set out on Tuesday. The result on the first drop was a three hour fight on a diamond jig and 69 inch fat BFT. The power of the fish was amazing. His first run screamed off over three hundred yards of braid and brought me down to the mono. We brought him boatside three times before he finally gave up the fight to a gaff. I admit i did pass the rod for a little while to get some blood back in my arms. We hooked up with three more on the jig but the result was break offs and pulled hooks. We heard a few guys were on the troll so we gave it a shot and had one on sceaming drag in no time.He was released to fight another day.Awesome weather,good bunch of guys and a trip of a lifetime.Thanx Herb:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wanna go that looks like so much fun. I almost hooked into a bluefin this year off manasquan inlet while fishing for stripers. They were busting half a mile off the beach.

·
Registered
946 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.