2) General Location:
3) Fishing For:

4) Water Temp & Color:
5) Catch Report:
6) Hot Bait or Lure:
7) Time Fish were caught:
8) Weather and Sea Conditions:​

#2 ·
) Day Fished: Saturday 7/8 - Sunshine Foundation Tourmnament (Great Bay Marina)
2) General Location: LE & Garden State South Reef
3) Fishing For: Fluke. If we were not in a fluke tournament we could have killed the sea bass in PM

4) Water Temp & Color: 67-ish and crystal clear, could see at least 10 - 12' down
5) Catch Report: one 17"+ fluke, 8 - 10 fluke throw backs & 3 sea bass (one was 18"). Couple of dogfish and sea robbins, but not many.
6) Hot Bait or Lure: We worked with everything including squid, minnows, gulps and smelt. Could feel Sea Bass working our fluke baits for the last two hours of fishing (All bass caught were on fluke baits/rigs)
7) Time Fish were caught: Keeper fluke fist thing in AM on LE, Sea bass in early PM on GSS. Pretty much had some kind of action all day except for a dead period about 11:00 - 1:00.
8) Weather and Sea Conditions: overcast with sun in PM, 1 - 2 foot with very little wind. Some of our morning and early afternoon drifts actually were figure eigth or circular shaped with boat traffic moving the boat more than current/wing

#3 ·
Sunday 7/9/06

Little Egg Reef

Seas 2-4 short chop; wind 10-20; Drift speed 1-1.5 knots <1 with drift anchor. Current was opposite of wind needed 8 oz to hold bottom even with drift anchor.

Bait; Squid, killies, gulp. Fished plain and with different colored teasers.

Catch; 1 small, and I mean small smooth dog. Not even stolen bait otherwise.

Bunker schools 1/4 mi outside inlet on the ride home with nothing harrassing them. Went home hungry.

#4 ·
Fished 7/11

Cape May Reef

Squid w/ bucktails

Boated 4 keepers to 18"; dozen throwbacks. Also boated 2 14" seabass.

Rough conditions - tight 3 to 4s. Originally headed to East Lump for day troll but stopped off at the reef as the conditions looked worse 1-2 mi past the reef.

Fluke bite picked up around 10am and diminished around 3pm. Best bite was with green/white and pink/white bucktail teasers with mylar.

Water temp was 70 degrees; green water.

Also tried trolling from the reef to 4FB from 8am to 9:30am with no knockdowns.

#5 · (Edited)
garden state south and little egg reefs 7/14

also looked for bass/blues in close in the am - no luck, very foggy

water temp along the beach 56. on gss 67, ler 67

sea conditions: nice swell in the am settled somewhat in the pm

keeper ratio 2 to 1. 6 shorts, 6 keepers. nothing to write home about, 16.5" to 18". 4 sea bass. all bucks, all about 15", all off the same piece of bottom.

fish caught between 11 am and 2 pm.

preferred bait was 6" whole squid with a stinger hook.

#7 ·
1) Day Fished: 7/14/06, 11:30 - 5:30
2) General Location: LE Reef & wrecks to east
3) Fishing For: Sea Bass & fluke

4) Water Temp & Color:8 - 10 mi out on wrecks, green & crystal clear, 71 F
5) Catch Report: Nothing but junk fish on LE. Moved out to wrecks after an hour or two. In area of wrecks (we were not on one we came across thick group of fish on FF - 9 sea bass up to 21" long, 3 - 4 short fliuke including a 4 spot
6) Hot bait fish were caught on - 3 oz crome ball jg with white hair. We only had one on the boat and it was the only thing they would hit. We were emptying out the tackle boxes trying to match it and taking turns on the one rod around that had the jig.
7) Time fish were caught were caught: 3:30 - 5:30
8) Weather and Sea Conditions: 80F,sunny, light winds with 2 - 3 ft swell

#8 · (Edited)
chris. there where bunker up and down the island from the people i talked to. the ones i saw were from beach haven down to the inlet. they where about the 9" variety. nothing was on them in the pm. i'm sure they were around in the morning, i just couldn't see them with the fog. the pods i saw were small and in anything greater than flat conditions would go unoticed. i did hear some people talk about better water temps in about 80'. good luck.
sorry jeff, i know this is not a report. just answering his question.

#9 ·
old grounds fishing

:) WE had a good day at the old grounds saturday for the elks tournement. Had sixteen fish keeper size but only kept eight, on the vessel Hatuey. Our crew took second place in the tourney for the heaviest fish. The color for the day was green, fish ranged from 18 inches to to 26 inches. The bite fell off around 12 noon and drift became non existant, maybe .3 knots. Best day this year for our crew.

trojan 32
river rat

#11 ·
Sea Isle Lum and Avalon Shoal

Fished Sunday, 7/15
Between Sea Isle Lump and Avalon Shoal
Loaded up with small bluefish between 8-9 am, 1Lb each
Caught on small clarl spoon and yellow/grm feather
Used bluefish fillets as bottom fishin bait
Nothing at the Avalon shoal, came well inside of the lump buoy and caught plenty of sand sharks and skates, also had a four foot brown to the boat and broke the leader
Seas were calm all day

#12 ·
Date: Saturday July 15.

Area: Site 11.

Conditons: Water temp 75, No wind.

Catch: 6 keeper Flounder, 1 at 5lb, about 30 throwbacks, 1 sea bass.

Bait: fresh strip baits.

Fish caught outside of the wreck area, drifting out of the reef. Alot of boats out there this weekend including a few that were right up my!
Not a great day, but have had worse.

#13 ·
Fished Sunday 7/16 GardenState south started with good drift 8 throwbacks 2 keepers 4+ and 2 sea bass. Caught and boated a live squid, hooked up to a slider hook rig and with a lousy drift BANG it was a fluke up to within 2feet of the boat and with a wiggle and shake off he went, my buddy was sick would have been his first well over 10lbs.

#14 ·
Barnegat Reef

Hit the Barnegat Reef Sunday the 16th. Got a late start but was on the reef by noon. It was HOT. No wind. No drift. Tried a few areas on the reef but there was no movement and nothing happening so I went back to work the beaches just South of the Inlet. The water was moving a little better there. Skates and sharks were thick. But just as I drifted out of the area of the skates I picked up a 20" fluke on Pro Cut - Minnow combo. After that more skates and sharks. I'll tell you what though, I've become a Master at hooking those skates in the nose before they can get thier gummi mouths on my hook!! Didn't see any Blues or Birds or anything out there. Headed back around 3pm. Short day.

#15 ·
Garden State South

Seas Flat as we all know

Drift 0.5 knots

Temp 68-70

Best Bait Bunker strips

Started out cruising the beach for some Bunker action. Found the bait but they were totally unharrassed. Snagged some for bait and headed to the reef. First drift my son boats a 7 pounder. First fish that he caught on my boat. Caught on a chartruce wiggle rig with a bunker strip. Had a line out about 25 feet down with a whole dead bunker with some fillets out of it and had a run off without a hook up because it got tangled. Picked a humpback on a pink spro bucktail. No more bites decided to go hook a wreck and on the way about 7 miles out found bunker bait balls with brown sharks and threshers pushing them out of the water but could not buy a bite, very cool to watch. Found and caught a 3 lb trigger swimming under a bucket on the way home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.