BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about making a 4 rod matching set of inshore trolling combos... would like to spend in the 1000-1200 bucks range

Combos would be used for striper trolling and light offshore trolling for mahi ect ect...

I have nice outriggers for my boat and didnt use them last season i really want to step up my trolling game

If possibly i would really like to stick with lever drag since all my other reels are lever drag and its just my preferance especially for trolling...

I have never wire lined so im not ready to make that commitment

any advice you guys can share i appreciate

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
300 each ??? with line ?? TLD 25's loaded with braid would be the closest to price and be able to do what you want easily . Check River Marine ( a sponsor )

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
i have a few shimano charter special leverdrag 2000's on 7' medium weight penn power sticks. i use them for trolling the beach for stripers, and out at the barney ridge for bonito,blues,albies,mahi, or whatever else is out there. 65lb pp, and they do just fine by me. dont need to break the bank

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I also use the Charter special 2000 on 7' Tallus blue water rods. In addition I use TLD's on the same rods rated to 50lbs. mostly use the Cahter SPecials for umbrella rigs inshore and on barn ridge for same as mentioned in previous post. The Charter Specials will handle just about anything inshore and stuff you will find on the ridges, but not sure I would want to do battle with a 60lb tuna.
The TLD on the other hand will do fine on a 60lber.

also check out the Shimano Tyrnos's

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i go the TLD route should i get heavier rods soo that i can possibly swap out to 30's and 50's if i start doing more offshore fishing? that way i can just swap reels instead of rods and reels

·
Registered
448 Posts
Im new to the inshore trolling stuff too but what can you troll for using your outriggers inshore? Can they handle the weight and water drag of an umbrella rig?

·
Vendor
296 Posts
If you are going to use bunker spoons make sue the rod has a lighter backbone so the spoon swims just right. A heavy rod doesnt allow for this. You want the rod to flex with the bunker spoons movement. Check out tony maja rods to see what action is ideal.
Good luck with the new rods...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im new to the inshore trolling stuff too but what can you troll for using your outriggers inshore? Can they handle the weight and water drag of an umbrella rig?
Idk they seem pretty stiff i cant imagine them struggling with a umbrella rig or stretch..

Was thinking about running a spread with 2 umbrellas of the stern 2 streches or other swimmers off the outriggers and possibly 2 more rods off the gunnals once i have everything down pat

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
i also have a pair of shimano tekota 600's. not lever drags, but they are glass smooth, i use them out on the ridge, as well as trolling stretch 25's and bunker spoons for bass. i usually run 5 lines out on the ridge, 2 tekotas, 2 charter specials, and my trusty penn 320 down the middle further back then the others, and thats the reel i use for my umbrella rigs too. fish heads has the power sticks for $49. dont need to break the bank. i have 65# pp on all of them

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Idk they seem pretty stiff i cant imagine them struggling with a umbrella rig or stretch..

Was thinking about running a spread with 2 umbrellas of the stern 2 streches or other swimmers off the outriggers and possibly 2 more rods off the gunnals once i have everything down pat
pick up a pair of "out rodders".

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think the outriggers themselves can handle a stretch or an umbrella rig but Im questionable on the actual clip and the line its on That seems to stretch a lot.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i troll with braid soo no need to worry about much line stretch and im not sure about the clips.... theres seems to be alot of different styles i got a whole box of them with the boat purchase so ill just to play around with them to see what works....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Tlds or avet lxs would be good reels. Rods idk i use gloomis pelagics and lamis in 20 to 50 class for trolling inshore and lighter mxs and various 15 to 30 rods for bass but i stay away from umbrellas.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Pa,

Heres a link to the Charter special from shimano
http://www.terminatortackle.com/shimano/

I can do that reel with with anything from a Tsunami rod to a custom Rod and still stay within your budget..

I also have a spooling center and can spool up the reels for you as well.

Give me a call on my direct line when you have some time. 856-264-3005

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
when looking for tackle, i found joe at terminator a great help. seemed like a great guy that was happy to talk to me about gear. :thumbsup:

i predominanty fish inshore of the canyons. i have 6 tld 25's on ande standup rods. they were less than 200$ per combo. very capable for the stuff i have encountered thus far (yft,mahi,smaller bft). i picked up 3 50w's later on to run my larger baits when the bluefin are in town inshore and wwwb stuff.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
when looking for tackle, i found joe at terminator a great help. seemed like a great guy that was happy to talk to me about gear. :thumbsup:

i predominanty fish inshore of the canyons. i have 6 tld 25's on ande standup rods. they were less than 200$ per combo. very capable for the stuff i have encountered thus far (yft,mahi,smaller bft). i picked up 3 50w's later on to run my larger baits when the bluefin are in town inshore and wwwb stuff.
Thanks Brett... I love talking fishing!!:wave:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Im thinking about making a 4 rod matching set of inshore trolling combos... would like to spend in the 1000-1200 bucks range

Combos would be used for striper trolling and light offshore trolling for mahi ect ect...

I have nice outriggers for my boat and didnt use them last season i really want to step up my trolling game

If possibly i would really like to stick with lever drag since all my other reels are lever drag and its just my preferance especially for trolling...

I have never wire lined so im not ready to make that commitment

any advice you guys can share i appreciate
Thanks for your order... That Custom North fork is going to be one of a kind..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts