BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on inshore trolling rods to pair up with some Penn Fathoms? Looking for something good, but not super high end or custom. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks - J

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
St croix makes really nice stuff

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For under $200 a stick slap them fathoms on a Penn carnage stick and call it good for 20 years!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
The penn bluewater carnage is a nice inshore, striper trolling rod as well..

·
Registered
12,919 Posts
I have some really nice Tsunami trolling rods. Great rods for the money. Blvd. Bait & Tackle has them. I have a pair of them paired with the Shimano TLD 25s.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For under $200 a stick slap them fathoms on a Penn carnage stick and call it good for 20 years!
Thanks for the recommendation, they look pretty nice. Do you think the medium 30-50 would handle inshore trolling the lumps for mahi and the occasional tuna along with strippers or go to the medium heavy 50-100? Appreciate all the feedback

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some really nice Tsunami trolling rods. Great rods for the money. Blvd. Bait & Tackle has them. I have a pair of them paired with the Shimano TLD 25s.
Thanks Retainer. I'll have to check them out. I really like my Tsunami airwave for togging.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Tsunami is what I put the tlds on when i went striper trolling

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, they look pretty nice. Do you think the medium 30-50 would handle inshore trolling the lumps for mahi and the occasional tuna along with strippers or go to the medium heavy 50-100? Appreciate all the feedback
Your pairing them with Fathoms, 30# class is plenty, believe me, been watching my nephew whip 70# class YFT all season on the chunk with a 6'6" carnarge paired with a 30# class Avet HX. You'll have a matching Penn set (matters At re-sale time if you go that route down the line) if not they WILL last 20 years with proper maintenance. You'll be set up for all your inshore trolling needs from bass inside the 3 mile line, to these big YFT we catching this year and everything in between. CRY once and get it over, you spent the $ loot on Fathoms, spend the loot on quality sticks to match them with.

·
Registered
12,919 Posts
You said no custom rod but Bogan makes a really nice glass blank rod, same range as my Tsunami at 25-40 lb class, $185 for a 6’6” . Fish poison rods. If I’m spending $200 on a rod, I’d get the fish poison.

Edit: The carnage rod looks like it is better suited for what you want, and the 30-80 class rating is a better choice. Bogan makes a higher class rod too but it’s more money than the carnage.
Good luck with whatever you get. See you on the water.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. Guys. Retainer I did stop by Blvd. Yesterday and unfortunately he didn't have them. I'm looking to track down the carnage rods now, seems like inventory is pretty low everywhere. Appreciate all the feedback

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
K if you want to try them out u can borrow mine for a trip-dont see me using them in near future

·
Registered
12,919 Posts
That sucks. I guess he wasn’t able to give you a date either...factory issues or supplier.

I’d show you mine, let me know. I’m local and more than willing to bring the rod to you to check out. Or meet up.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Thanks for all the info. ...... seems like inventory is pretty low everywhere.
THIS is a huge problem and won't get better anytime soon. Tsunami rods have really upped their game, but aren't the only choice. In general rods do not hold their value like reels will...and you can get some great deals on the barn sale and other sites (THT) if you keep your eyes open. And if I were you, I'd be looking to get the most economical set ups you can. If you stick with it you can always upgrade down the line.

I have some 30 rods, over half customs. But....throw in some Loomis, St Croix, Seeker, Tsunami and fenwick. Some bought used off the rack at a local tackle shop. Back in the day an Ugly Stick was a viable go to rod. 3 of my 4 tuna rods have ugly stick blanks and have gotten some good laughs out of some fisherman. After 30 years who's laughing now??

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Nice... 50T... I need one more of those!!

Reactions: Re-Bait

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I'm highly partial to the 50T second generation. I send them to Penn for servicing when needed and if you do make sure to ask for the upgraded handles!!

yea I need one more to complete my set

1 - 20 of 29 Posts