BASS BARN banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Who's going tomorrow, 2' at 10 seconds. I'll work today to go tomorrow. Not sure where to go yet, Might do barnegat towards li/bacardi/ap/resor or lei to south ridge. Not a fan of the ridge bite this year but if up north aint better I'll take the easy route and do the ridge out of lei.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Trying to.get into the inshore tuna bite but just not that knowledgeable. If anyone needs a crew member i can ususally take off without much notice and can contribute to the costs and cleanup of the vessel or whatever is needed.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Went to the Barnegat Ridge, lines in at 6am, first bite at 615 and it was a false albacore, gave us hope and saved it for crab bait. The purple wide tracker on the starboard side was misbehaving at times mostly heading up wind. We weren't seeing any signs of life so left the spread alone. Has a pack of hoos so rigged one up and set it out way back, it got hooked up and the purple tracker went off. Awesome a double! Then nothing, pulled them in and the wide tracker had the braid from the hoo line all wrapped up in it so it was tangled and gone. I have 2 TLD 25s spooled with 50lb braid and they are getting mono, that was some mess and a lost fish.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Launched from BI at 5:45 to some nasty seas, 2-3 tight then some 4/5'ers later around 10/12ish. Took us 3 hours to get to LI then turned around due to seas getting worse. At one point we were able to do 15 mph on way out while the wind was chillin out but it came right back 15 mins later. Turned around for home and could still only do 8mph w/a following sea. Decided to put out the wide trackers/sterling small bird chain and a clark spoon 25' behind a drail wtf back. Spread looked best at 4-6 mph.
A hour or 2 later we had a knockdown on a wide tracker that stayed tight. I cleared the rods while brother kept line tight w/ throttle. I settled into the fight and 15 mins later we boated a 42"bft. We saw just a scratch on machine at 20' right before we came tight. Fish was overflowing w/ small sand eels, surprised he ate a wide tracker w/ a full belly. We were 5+ miles from any wreck/hump, fish was just in the middle of no where. Pure luck, if we could of done 12mph+ we would of never put the spread out. I was afraid of the ENE wind not giving up and outgoing tide at inlet if we stayed at LI.
Came across some medium/large bft's not far from inlet on way out but I pretty much ran them over. Between the rain on my glasses and every wave spraying me I could barely see and by the time I saw them it was too late. A seine boat was only a mile away from them so maybe they were eating bunker or just sand eels. But big backs and big tails, I probably saw 6 of them in 10 seconds before I ran them over. I'll be rigged and ready w/ the popping/jigging rods on way to inlet next time...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Trying to.get into the inshore tuna bite but just not that knowledgeable. If anyone needs a crew member i can ususally take off without much notice and can contribute to the costs and cleanup of the vessel or whatever is needed.
Hopefully they settle in somewhere again and we can chunk them up, thats pretty easy just go light on fluro leader. 40lb is a good starting point, if not getting bit go to 30lb or less. If 40 is working try 50lb. Rubber band sinker on 15' to 40' in front of bait and let it down very slow to prevent tangles.
Call sterling tackle and they will set u up w/ a 5-7 rod trolling spread. Before u know it you'll be riggin hoo's and getting the deck bloody.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I decided to give up on my wide trackers that have adjustable rudders and have a pair of Sterling wide trackers in purple port and zucchini starboard, I added a few more lures to choose from as well. I will change the Fireline to mono and hopefully manage a catching spread next time out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts