BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for trim tab kit and found someone selling an insta trim tab kit 9"x12" pretty cheap. I wanted to go lenco or bennett, but im finding this deal hard to pass up. I have 2 questions 1) does anyone have any experience using insta trim, how do they compare to lenco or bennett? and 2) he said that 9"x12" is for a 20-25' boat but im not sold on this, all the research I found says tabs for my size boat should 10x12 to 12x12. Is the 9x12 the correct size for my boat?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have Insta-Trim tabs on my Carolina Classic and they are great. I had Bennett's on my last two boats and they were great, as well. There are two differences with the Insta-Trim tabs I have, over the Bennetts. On the Insta-Trim tabs, there are external hydraulic hoses on the transom. On the Bennetts, the hydraulic connection is inside the boat. Secondly, the Insta-Trim hydraulic power units (HPU) are larger than the Bennett HPU. If space for mounting the HPU is limited, the Bennett will be an easier fit. As for the tab size, I had 9X12's on a 22' walkaround and they were fine.

If you don't mind those differences, then you can save yourself some bucks. If the differences are of value to you, then buy the Lenco or Bennets. I think if I was putting tabs on a boat that never had them before, I'd probably try the Lenco units. No hydraulic leaks, ever.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your input guys, the seller is outa state right now so hoping to set something up when he returns

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had Bennetts on previous boats and also on the one that I have now. Easy to install and maintain. Don't know about Lencos but would be willing to try them. Look on Ebay for a deal.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have Lencos on my boat. They went in easy and worked well. They made it through sandy, boat didn't, I pulled them off and put them on my new boat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had bad experiences with Lenco tabs on two boats iv owned and a few clients boats where we had the replace the electric actuators. However, the Bennet tabs on my Hatteras are still going strong after 38 years of use( I replaced the hydraulic pump about 10 years ago but the tabs themselves are original from the factory) I recommend a hydraulic system that is contained inside the boat rather than two sensitive DC electric motors placed below the waterline. That is just my professional opinion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bennettt's have great factory service. All the parts are readily available. Larger boat stores (not WM) will also have replacement parts.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I second Bennett, their customer service is off the hook. Tabman will hook you up with parts, advise and information when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts