BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I filed a claim because the lower unit failed, the adjuster says the evidence is internal mechanical failure, howere; there is evidence of a strike on the bottom end with a slightly bent prop and gouges on the side. Does anyone know what options there are in an event like this?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I’ve had two auto claims that involved another party and they just said 50:50 because that’s easy. I pushed the issue and it went for a review. Both ended 2 months later in my favor. Maybe ask about a review because you don’t agree. Do you have an estimate from a mechanic that states damage from striking an object? I would think that would help quite a bit.

is it possible the adjuster was a liberal and saw your trump sign?lol

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am looking to get now and assessment from the mechanic that pulled the unit apart not just the adjuster from Allstate. I am also looking to take it to another mechanic for a third assessment as well. But thanks I will ask for a review and submit whatever evidence I have as well. I wonder if DUNK is around anymore? I have not seen him in a while

I’ve had two auto claims that involved another party and they just said 50:50 because that’s easy. I pushed the issue and it went for a review. Both ended 2 months later in my favor. Maybe ask about a review because you don’t agree. Do you have an estimate from a mechanic that states damage from striking an object? I would think that would help quite a bit.

is it possible the adjuster was a liberal and saw your trump sign?lol

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it appears we did, there is damge to the prop and gouges running p the side of the lower unit. They said the prop damage is not significant enough to show that it caused the pinion gear to shatter, says it shattered on its own when we powered up

Did you hit something?

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I remember having 2 or 3 claims for 'grounding' on my boat back in the early 90's. Boat US dropped me like a hot potato! When I finally acquired new coverage I decided to only make a claim for castrophic losses. Of which there was only 1 in 2007

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tight,
Review your whole policy carefully and keep at them to cover it. As a contractor I work with customers all of the time and we help them to push for coverage. On homeowners policies the key phrase is "Replacement Cost Coverage" do not accept any depreciation mumbo jumbo. You may have to have the work done to reveal the true cause and go after them. They may pay half then submit for the balance after work is completed. You are going to fix it anyway. I know it is frustrating but keep plugging away! Keep you eye on the finish line. Take lots of photos inside and out during the whole process. Even type up a summary of the damage that was caused that qualifies and have your mechanic sign it and get it notarized for 5.00. Drag it out forever and keep your claim open. Keep battling them they will eventually want to clear the claim and agree to pay. Believe me they will not want an open claim going into 2021.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with this claim is I was not even sure I was going to file it, I mentioned it to my agent and asked him what I would need to do if there was evidence of a strike when I took to the mechanic, he went ahead and filed the claim for me so I was pushed into a decision I was not ready to make. Since the decision was already made I went along with it, now the damage to the prop look small but the mechanic said its a SS prop so any damage to it can be more than what you see on the prop, couple that with the scratch and gouges on the one side and it looks like something was pulled up into the prop when the pinion gear shattered.

Adjuster says that when you punch it that causes stress which caused the failure, I never punched it, we slowed down due to debris in the water to let pass and then accelerated again and heard a bang and lost power. I am still not sure if I want to push it and have them drop me and I already decided to repower the boat since I was looking at that before this happened. Will most likely sell the old motor after it is repaired or as is.

Tight,
Review your whole policy carefully and keep at them to cover it. As a contractor I work with customers all of the time and we help them to push for coverage. On homeowners policies the key phrase is "Replacement Cost Coverage" do not accept any depreciation mumbo jumbo. You may have to have the work done to reveal the true cause and go after them. They may pay half then submit for the balance after work is completed. You are going to fix it anyway. I know it is frustrating but keep plugging away! Keep you eye on the finish line. Take lots of photos inside and out during the whole process. Even type up a summary of the damage that was caused that qualifies and have your mechanic sign it and get it notarized for 5.00. Drag it out forever and keep your claim open. Keep battling them they will eventually want to clear the claim and agree to pay. Believe me they will not want an open claim going into 2021.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don’t recall you said punch it. You have to be very careful what you say to adjusters. It can and will be used against you. Less is more. That being said why did the mechanic file for you? I would not have given him the info to do it. I always file claims myself. My dad had one claim when he struck a floating piling. Cut the sucker in half no damage to the stainless prop nothing. Had it checked by the prop shop. The internal gears failed a week later. As previously stated they wanted to depreciate it. That’s when He pushed hard and got full payment .

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ne ver said anything to the adjusters, I files a report with the mechanic on what happened, described the events as they unfolded. The Mechanic did not file for me, my insurance agent filed the claim before I could even get the boat to the mechanic, it was still in the slip when he did it and it took me another week to get it out because I had to get it towed and lifted out.

I don’t recall you said punch it. You have to be very careful what you say to adjusters. It can and will be used against you. Less is more. That being said why did the mechanic file for you? I would not have given him the info to do it. I always file claims myself. My dad had one claim when he struck a floating piling. Cut the sucker in half no damage to the stainless prop nothing. Had it checked by the prop shop. The internal gears failed a week later. As previously stated they wanted to depreciate it. That’s when He pushed hard and got full payment .

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
That is what I am looking to get now and assessment from the mechanic that pulled the unit apart not just the adjuster from Allstate. I am also looking to take it to another mechanic for a third assessment as well. But thanks I will ask for a review and submit whatever evidence I have as well. I wonder if DUNK is around anymore? I have not seen him in a while
Yes, i'm still here. give me a call. i've dealt with lots of ins lower unit problems. 6098610467

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks, I will call you this week appreciate it.

Yes, i'm still here. give me a call. i've dealt with lots of ins lower unit problems. 6098610467

1 - 12 of 12 Posts