BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
I live in West Chester PA & love to fish the salt. Going out w/ my buddy on the 1st weekend of May to try to clam up a couple stripers. New to this so trying to get some basics.
This is all I have so far.
Anchor up current from 60' for 20' slew or Bug light (as I said new to this so will have to go w/ well known places...i.e., w/ the weekend warriar fleet).
Start chummin'
Drift a bait into slick & wait.
I know I must be missing some important things...any advice or input is definatly appreciated.
Would you use a fish finder rig, 3 way swivel rig, high low or egg sinker/sliding / snell rig?
Again any help would be grately appreciated...trying to get a game plan here.
PM's are always welcomed.
JD

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I use baitcasters with the clicker on so when pick it up they can run with it. Don't set the hook too soon....give em a little run. fishfinders with enough lead to hold bottom. Take some fresh bunker with you. use that also and see what they prefer. If ya get a keeper bleed em out by cutting a few gill plates using wire clippers. The hardest part about striperfishing is waiting em out. If you think your in a good spot and not getting any hits....wait em out. I've seen people move around too much. Read all the
reports you can here and gather all the tips you can from the Barn. Don't forget to post a report so we know what not to do:D

Best of luck

·
Registered
19,526 Posts
Fishfinder rig with a Gami octopus 5/0 or 6/0 hook. Just enough weight to hold bottom. Flourocarbon leader. Whole or half of a fresh surf clam. I say feel the tug and set the hook, but everyone does things different.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Just a side note, the first weekend in May the 3,(Saturday), there is also a ASA Tournament. Having said that, good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JJDBIKE, I am also from West Chester. Where do you keep your boat? We are in cape may. I am not an expert but more than willing to give you any advise. Good luck!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill22Jack
Uh Oh, Tounement on Saturday 5/03 ....I assume that means by Sunday 5/04 the fish will be pretty beat up is that correct? 5/04 is our date so we'll need to make the best of it and play the hand that we're delt.

sur-reel
My friend keeps his 20'er in his drive-way. He has never launched from Cape May as of yet so this will be a 1st. As I said we've never done this so any advice is greatly appreciated & PM's are certainly welcomed.

Due to work, family and various obligations dosen't allow us to fish very often so we really really want to make the most of this trip & appreciate any tips. We'll post a report, hopefully a good one!

Thanks again everyone
JD

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Like Marine Tom says, You will get different replies on this but they all work for them.

Me, I like to practice the "Circle hook" it has a high hook up ratio and 99% of the time they are hooked in the corner of the jaw for healthy and fast release if sending it back in. ( A gut hooked fish has little chance of survival. )

I use a round 3ft. of 30#fluoro and Snell a 8/0 circle hook and a barrel swivel on the other end.

For the circle setup to work right keep the Rods in the holders locked up when a Striper hits the bait it will hook itself, Once the Rod is bent over pick it up and give a couple of tugs to make shore the hook is in good.

The only time a circle setup won't work is if the fish picks the bait up and comes towards the boat.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Paul.
I am most worried about finding and chumming the fish up. As I said I've never done this before, heck I've never chummed anything, fished for stripers or drum in the bay
As I said it is my friend's boat but what I failed to mention is I am primarily a surf fisher. I too love circles because of the ease of release and minimal injury to fish. They have worked great for me w/ clams and bunker chunks in the surf. One additional benifit is that beause they are hooked in the side of the mouth, big blues don't often bite me off as the only the hook, not the line is in their mouth. One thing the that circles have not worked well for my me is with big bunker heads. Actually I have missed more fish than I've caught on bunker heads and I'm not sure why. I obviosly need a new plan w/ heads.
Thanks again for everthing & any advice to help find & or chum stripers and drum is greatly appreciated!
JD

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
You don't have to chum to catch stripers. It does help bring em around though. I've caught plenty without chumming anything except when I re-fresh my bait hook. I'll set up 2-4 rods out the back and catch fish. I do however reel in once in a while and put a new fresh chuck of bunker on. They love fresh stuff.......The old piece i remove from my hook I cut into smaller pc's and toss them over...so I guess I'm chumming but not as hard as other would say is chumming.

·
Registered
19,526 Posts
jjdbike said:
Hi Paul.
I am most worried about finding and chumming the fish up. As I said I've never done this before, heck I've never chummed anything, fished for stripers or drum in the bay
As I said it is my friend's boat but what I failed to mention is I am primarily a surf fisher. I too love circles because of the ease of release and minimal injury to fish. They have worked great for me w/ clams and bunker chunks in the surf. One additional benifit is that beause they are hooked in the side of the mouth, big blues don't often bite me off as the only the hook, not the line is in their mouth. One thing the that circles have not worked well for my me is with big bunker heads. Actually I have missed more fish than I've caught on bunker heads and I'm not sure why. I obviosly need a new plan w/ heads.
Thanks again for everthing & any advice to help find & or chum stripers and drum is greatly appreciated!
JD
Get a chum pot and put some frest clam bellies or clam in it, and put it below the boat on the bottom. They are weighted and a cylindrical i have has never let me down.

Finding fish, use your fishfinder and circle around a particular spot and look for the fish before you anchor, it might take 15 minutes or so, but I've found that I don't stop until i see something on the sonar. (Dont got through other boats slick while doing this), fishermen are a catankerous bunch.:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marine Tom said:
Get a chum pot and put some frest clam bellies or clam in it, and put it below the boat on the bottom. They are weighted and a cylindrical i have has never let me down.

So my buddie's chum "bag" he uses would be less appropriate than the metal cage chum pots?

Thanks.
JD

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
jjdbike said:
How much weight will need?
Thanks.
JD
Or you can do like i do and cut fresh bunker up into quarter size pieces and though out 2 or three every so often.
I also buy a quart of bunker oil and pour it into a zip lock bag and put a small hole in it with a sharp hook and hang it over the side and make a slick. :)

Thats right your talking Clams, Sorry.

·
Registered
19,526 Posts
jjdbike said:
Marine Tom said:

So my buddie's chum "bag" he uses would be less appropriate than the metal cage chum pots?

Thanks.
JD
For spring clamming, get the chum pots that sit on the bottom under the boat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
we do a lot of bay and river chumming and remember when you put the pot in the water it will drift down and away from boat in a good current , we sometimes tie to front of boat so slick starts closer to boat . we use four lines , two deep under ,one less weight and one with no weight free spooling to drift with current and slick.

·
Registered
19,526 Posts
jjdbike said:
Thanks Tom.
Folks here are so helpful this is quite an informative thread!
JD
No prob. I know where one chum pot can be located, the bottom of the Del bay, I lost mine on sat. I had it for like 15 years and it just rusted out, the cotter pin and gone. I got to get a new one too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts