BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

went to Iona Lake to try to fish a local lake, but it was extremely tough! I thought that because there are so many lilies that i could go and do top water all day for some bites but man i was wrong! Maybe bass are doing their post spawn and are lazy? The best I could get were some dinky pickerels to hit and a nice crappie at edges of the lilies. at least I have seen a sign that the state have stocked some largemouths to help with the fishery. Anyone fish here often and can give me some advice?

Here's my latest vid:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I pass by there every day going to work. They definitely still stock trout, that place was loaded with people during the season. Not sure about the bass but it looks decent enough. One of these days I'll get my yak out there.

I have trouble getting bass on the surface in SJ this time of year too. I too think it has something to do with the spawn, like you said.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have trouble getting bass on the surface in SJ this time of year too. I too think it has something to do with the spawn, like you said.
I'll third that motion... absolutely NOTHING the last three days. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
maybe just an off day jimmy. I used to fish there alot and get decent bass and some really nice crappie. Topwater bite has been non stop for me since early early april :thumbsup:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pass by there every day going to work. They definitely still stock trout, that place was loaded with people during the season. Not sure about the bass but it looks decent enough. One of these days I'll get my yak out there.

For sure gotta be post spawn problem for the bass, but pickerels not hitting? that's ODD! they call me the pickerel master... looks like i lost that title! haha

I'll third that motion... absolutely NOTHING the last three days. I'm stumped!
Eeps.... glad i down sized for 2 fish Haha!

maybe just an off day jimmy. I used to fish there alot and get decent bass and some really nice crappie. Topwater bite has been non stop for me since early early april :thumbsup:
I thought so too, i mean i will definitely give it a try again. Was just in the area today and slayed! so maybe it's weather?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Jstyle... That post processing software is awesome. Is that something you subscribed to through Lowrance? I would love something like that. I got a basic hummingbird 561DI installed on my Old Town Vapor, not bad but doesnt have the GPS or the brains that yours probably has.

What do you use if you dont mind me asking

I grew up about 10 minutes from Iona lake, always curious about it, might have to try it out. I imagine Iona, WillowGrove, and Malaga lake are all pretty similar except for the trout stocking at Iona.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jstyle... That post processing software is awesome. Is that something you subscribed to through Lowrance? I would love something like that. I got a basic hummingbird 561DI installed on my Old Town Vapor, not bad but doesnt have the GPS or the brains that yours probably has.

What do you use if you dont mind me asking

I grew up about 10 minutes from Iona lake, always curious about it, might have to try it out. I imagine Iona, WillowGrove, and Malaga lake are all pretty similar except for the trout stocking at Iona.
Thx bud, i use a Lowrance Elite 5 TI w/ Side Structure Scan. My previous one was Elite 4 Chirp.

This is free to view on the web, it is free for lowrance folks to upload and download map, it only cost if you want to make your maps private and if you want hardness/softness added to the charts.

THere are some software (that cost) for humminbird and other brands too. but I may do a video on those, but the key for here is that folks should spend a bit extra that have chartplotting/GPS capabilities so that they can do a lot more. Benefits of having that are very high! the return is so immense that you will become a better angler all together. I can sit down with a cup of tea and talk all day about it LOL

those two other lakes are on my list to hit too.. there will be no south jersey water i will not hit within 30 miles radius by end of summer! All in preparation for some good fall fishing :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was at Iona sunday around 5:30 PM and it was toasty out. I saw some guy get a nice sized bass in the lilly pads on the restaurant side. I was in the middle / back of the lake where I picked off some very aggressive pickerel. Only three fish in the boat in about 90 minutes, but not terrible for a first time at the lake. I will definitely be back.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at Iona sunday around 5:30 PM and it was toasty out. I saw some guy get a nice sized bass in the lilly pads on the restaurant side. I was in the middle / back of the lake where I picked off some very aggressive pickerel. Only three fish in the boat in about 90 minutes, but not terrible for a first time at the lake. I will definitely be back.
that's cool man, i'll have to make it back out there one evening! glad you were able to get a few pickerels on ^_^

·
Registered
617 Posts
A lot of people hate catching them, but I love the variety. I really want to check out that huge restaurant too, so I have several reasons to go back now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of people hate catching them, but I love the variety. I really want to check out that huge restaurant too, so I have several reasons to go back now.
As an outdoors guy, instead of looking at the negatives, I prefer to embrace the positives and enjoy the moment! Pickerels jump, the thrash and they fight. Smash topwater like a champ, there's just no reason for me to hate them. Sure they cut line, but we all signed up for losing lures and having line cut as anglers. If slime is an issue, suck it up, all fish have slime. We put on clothes, sunblock, bug spray, etc to protect us from the elements; Fish have scales, slime, teeth, spines, toxins, electricity, etc to protect themselves. With that said, theres no reason for myself (or anyone unless you are doing a tournament) to not like a challenge of a pickerel on the other side of the line.

·
Registered
617 Posts
100% Agreed! :thumbsup: They rarely bite me off, but they tear up the rubber worms , so I always have a few packs at the ready.

As an outdoors guy, instead of looking at the negatives, I prefer to embrace the positives and enjoy the moment! Pickerels jump, the thrash and they fight. Smash topwater like a champ, there's just no reason for me to hate them. Sure they cut line, but we all signed up for losing lures and having line cut as anglers. If slime is an issue, suck it up, all fish have slime. We put on clothes, sunblock, bug spray, etc to protect us from the elements; Fish have scales, slime, teeth, spines, toxins, electricity, etc to protect themselves. With that said, theres no reason for myself (or anyone unless you are doing a tournament) to not like a challenge of a pickerel on the other side of the line.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I like the family-friendly wolf and Rottweiler statues on the lawn, too... :)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yes, I agree. I just thInk the snarling wolf might be a bit terrifying for the little kids. But they seem to work, I don't see any geese or swans on their lawn anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts