BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 14' v-hull with a console and 25 hp Johnson. With this setup, I've taken it all around OC. The past few years, I'm taking both my sons with me and the boats getting a bit crowded. The side console takes up alot of room. Most of my running is just moving from spot to spot. I'm thinking of removing the console and just have a tiller setup. I've posted some trade options and I've gotten a few offers of 9.9 hp motors.

How much of a difference in power and speed will going from 25hp down to 9.9hp? Is 9.9hp enough for the inlet or strong current?

thanks,
al

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
What type of hull is this? Is it a lightweight aluminum or a heavy fiberglass boat. My buddy has an older lowe 14ft v hull boat. I go fishing with him alot in Northern NJ. He has a honda 9.9 on it and with the two of us it tops out around 13-14 mph. There are alot of 9.9's around here because of the HP limit on the resivours.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
9.9 is fine for 2 people for the most part. It wont be a speedster, but will plane the boat easily with 2 people and a light load. When you add a third person is when you will wish you had the 25.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have a new 9.9 Johnson on my 14' Mirrocraft V-hull. It's an older boat and heavy for an aluminum boat. I can get around 19 MPH with 2 people in it. If I have a lot of equipment or a heavy person in it and can not get up on plane, it only goes about 10MPH. It works fine in the Delaware River and the inside bays. Like said in an earlier post, not quite the speedster, but it gets you there. You have to pay more attention to how you have the weight in the boat distributed and also how well you have the motor trimmed/tilted then if you have a more powerful motor. If you don't have everything set right, the boat will not get up on plane and will plod along.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. My boat might be heavy. It has a wood/carpet deck as well as a raised deck up front. When I first got it, I needed someone to sit near the front to get up on plane. I bought a hydrofoil for the motor and now it gets up easy.

I was getting myself excited thinking that there's someone out there with a tiller mtr who would want to convert his boat to a console. I was thinking I could make some money and buy some guitar stuff.

The sensible thing to do is to keep my motor and convert it to tiller. A "real" conversion kit is pretty expensive, but I know I could rig a steering rod and small control box. I know the history of my motor and know it hasn't been used much and was well maintained.

BTW, what's the value of a 94 Johnson 25hp in great condition?

thanks,al

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
i have a 16' grumman side console with evin 25hp 1978 i can top out with all my crabin gear at 24mph. with my 9.9 force kicker also on there i can top out at 12.5 mph. today i used my merc 6hp and topped out almost 7 mph.it will push you around ok but you will set no speed records. i used only a six or a 9.9 for crabbin a 14' polarcraft for the last 7 or 8 years. bb

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
akozols vbmenu_register("postmenu_672451", true); The 9.9 will get you around okay on lakes without any problem (or blazing speed). But in some of the backwaters it may fall short of getting you where you want to go in a heavy running tide.
From experience , I had a 12 ft. aluminam boat with a 9.9 and was caught at a stand still trying to run up a short stretch of faster water on the Surekill River up around Valley Forge. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I know the section of the Surekill that you're talking about. In fact it's one of my favorite spots. I launch at Betswood(my buddies call it Pickle Park) and head upstream. I make my way up to the old train station, tilt up the motor and just drift back. A 4" power worm on a Charlie Brewer slider head absolutely kills.

One big advantage of the console is navigating thru the rocks. I actually sit on the console with the steering wheel behind me. Sitting up there I can see the rocks and slowly zig zag around them.

Al

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It would move ok for fluke fishing and such, short distances. A mile at 6 knots takes 10 minutes. 12kts - 5 min, 15 -4, 20 - 3 etc. Figure out how far you would normally travel then figure how much time you lose. If most of your travel is no wake areas, no prob.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the problem is when running against a tide (tidal waters), If you were in an inlet like Barney light) you might not even be able to make headway against a strong current.

Stick with your 25 and check the boat salvage yards for a tiller setup.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yea,that stretch of river used to be pretty good for forty + smallies on a decent day of fishing the West bank using Rebel teeny crawdads 1/10 oz.
Not too bad of a launch pad, but it's a hassle having to drop the trailer in one spot and park in another. I would bet there is some good rip rap where the stantions from the old singing bridge were.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
9.5 will be slow.

I used to run a 16' aluminum with a 40hp and side console. It moved.

With the small aluminum boats, I believe they're actually more seaworthy
( assuming user handles carefully ) with more power to get out of tricky situations - such as avoid big wakes, get out of the way, nimble etc.

If the kids are going to use it, less power makes the boat potentially less dangerous though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm 99.9% sure that I'm going to keep my motor. When I'm not with the kids, I take it out into the inlet and feel safer with the power. I'm still going to look into removing the console and switching to tiller.

Any ideas on where to find used, cheap tiller parts?

thanks,al

·
Registered
40 Posts
keep the console

If it is a small side console I would keep it over the tiller. I think you will regret getting rid of the console. I have had several smaller boats both tiller and side consoles. When crabbing and motoring it is much more comfortable with the console. I do not think you will gain that much space. Just my opinion -- and good call keeping you motor -- Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts