BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I take a bunch of guys out fishing... not a charter, just some friends and their kids... is it on me to make sure they are registered and have a card..... or if I get pulled over for this BS is it on them?

Inquiring minds want to know.....:huh:

·
Registered
43 Posts
National Saltwater Angler Registry is a personal registration. I asked the same question when registering our club tournaments with NMFS. NMFS called NOAA for clarification and I was informed that is is the responsibility of the person or angler. Not the responsibility of the owner/captain of the vessel. So if and when you get boarded your friends get the ticket/summons not you. hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Children under a certain age - I think it may be 16 are exempt. So it would only be the adults. When New Jersey eventually requires a salt water license it will bring up an issue - I know a lot of guys whose wives don't fish but go out on a boat with them just for the sun and fresh air. Will they have to pay for a salt water license just to be on a boat where people are fishing?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
When I take BIGGESTJACK out to eat I have to have a Toxic Waste Crew standing by.:D

Face it. You will go to jail sometime unless you take a lawyer on every trip. The way it's going the next big new tackle must have will be a waterproof wallet to cary all your "Can I Fish Credentials" in.

Good question. I would think that you are only responsible for you and everyone else must cover their own arse. But don't go by me because I will be in the cell right next to you.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Children under a certain age - I think it may be 16 are exempt. So it would only be the adults. When New Jersey eventually requires a salt water license it will bring up an issue - I know a lot of guys whose wives don't fish but go out on a boat with them just for the sun and fresh air. Will they have to pay for a salt water license just to be on a boat where people are fishing?

We have a salt water license here in SC and my wife has to have a license if I want to take the rods out when we go riding. Told her she might as well get back into fishing, so she's giving a go again. Sha always outfished me when she did go fishing with me for Flounder in NJ.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
thats a tough one...because then it becomes a "moral" dillema for the boat owner....to me honestly if it's a law...it's a law...it might be a dumb one...but it's still a law....so to me it would be just like taking a crew of 5 buddies out...and your best friend says "hey man I'm keeping this 26" striper"....and you get busted....it's the boat owners *** right? Now that being said...the boat owner should say "hey man it's illegal fish goes back in regardless" but for arguments sake...it's on the same line...

I would think it's on both I guess...I won't take anyone out if they don't have one bc I don't want any BS about it...I try to avoid as much BS as possible

·
Registered
495 Posts
Face it. You will go to jail sometime unless you take a lawyer on every trip. The way it's going the next big new tackle must have will be a waterproof wallet to cary all your "Can I Fish Credentials" in.
.:thumbsdown:
Fred's right. Let's see, I now need to have onboard my National Saltwater Angler Registry card, my NOAA Federal Fisheries Permit, my NJ Boating License, my NJ Boat Registration, and my Striper Bonus Tag :mad:. My wallet is beginning to look like George Costanza's

·
Registered
988 Posts
Fred's right. Let's see, I now need to have onboard my National Saltwater Angler Registry card, my NOAA Federal Fisheries Permit, my NJ Boating License, my NJ Boat Registration, and my Striper Bonus Tag :mad:. My wallet is beginning to look like George Costanza's
You do not want to forget your FIN # if you plan on wandering into Delaware waters !!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, I cannot count how many guys I wil take out toggin or flukin a single time each summer. They borrow all my gear and they have a blast, now I gotta tell these guys to register or I am not gonna take them out? What about the father who buys a pint of minnows or some frozen squid and is happy to have their kids catch small sea bass off the public docks, no no?

Those are the things that bother me just a little bit more than having to carry a card on me like I am plucking trout out of a PA stream. Should I get the holder and clip it to my head lamp??

I was in support of a license, but the more and more I think about it I come to hate it. Let's face it, anyone on here who would not buy a license because they think they should not have to pay is just selfish. But, what about the guys who dont even read the boards? The 17 year old kids who fish a little bit every summer? The dad who takes their children fishing a couple time each summer? They are all going to start surfing or playing mini golf, terrible for our future.

Who is gonna be the first guy to market the must have, waterproof license card holder with a clip for your 2" surf belt?

RyanF

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ryan I hear ya man....

Gents I have a question.....who is going to enforce this new registry? It probably can't be the state police right?

Thanks,
Matt
Thats a question I have been asking. I would think it would be the C G or a federal warden. I can't see NJSP or locals inforcing a federal law. Not if but when N J gets a saltwater license maby in their infinate wisdom they will offer a license to cover the boat like some of the other states do.

·
Registered
467 Posts
to me honestly if it's a law...it's a law

That is a very interesting point. Is this a law, created by legislation, as laws are supposed to be created? Or is it a rule, set by a regulatory agency? Obviously, we live by many "rules" now, but I am not really sure how many of those really are laws. Not that they aren't enforced as laws or that it makes a difference anymore.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, I cannot count how many guys I wil take out toggin or flukin a single time each summer. They borrow all my gear and they have a blast, now I gotta tell these guys to register or I am not gonna take them out? What about the father who buys a pint of minnows or some frozen squid and is happy to have their kids catch small sea bass off the public docks, no no?

Those are the things that bother me just a little bit more than having to carry a card on me like I am plucking trout out of a PA stream. Should I get the holder and clip it to my head lamp??

I was in support of a license, but the more and more I think about it I come to hate it. Let's face it, anyone on here who would not buy a license because they think they should not have to pay is just selfish. But, what about the guys who dont even read the boards? The 17 year old kids who fish a little bit every summer? The dad who takes their children fishing a couple time each summer? They are all going to start surfing or playing mini golf, terrible for our future.

Who is gonna be the first guy to market the must have, waterproof license card holder with a clip for your 2" surf belt?

RyanF
RyanF that is one of the best posts I've read on here...and I TOTALLY agree and I'm in the same boat with you...and the father kid thing is right on. I know we have had mixed feelings about a few topics, but damn it that's about as 100% accurate as you can get....I will wear the idioot tag on my hat like I'm freshwater fishing :) :) :)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
If it happens on your boat, while you're on it, and you know about it, then it's on you at least morally, even if not legally.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
When I take BIGGESTJACK out to eat I have to have a Toxic Waste Crew standing by.:D

Good question. I would think that you are only responsible for you and everyone else must cover their own arse. But don't go by me because I will be in the cell right next to you.:thumbsdown:

Fred now thats funny right there!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

FC

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hms?

Is it true that if you hold a HMS permit for the boat, Than the captain, and all fisherman on board do not need to register??? I have heard this a few times but can anyone back that up, just asking?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you have an HMS angling category permit...only the individual permit holder is covered.

I registered and have my HMS permit...It takes seconds to register and is free...

Saltwater Angler Registry
Individuals who hold this type of permit* or license do not need to register. However please make sure to learn about and follow the regulations where you will be fishing. You can contact the state's department of natural resources or the National Marine Fisheries Service Regional Office for more information.
https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/index.html
* Please note that in the case of HMS angling permit holders, only the individual permit holder is exempt. Others fishing aboard the vessel will need to register.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
RyanF that is one of the best posts I've read on here...and I TOTALLY agree and I'm in the same boat with you...and the father kid thing is right on. I know we have had mixed feelings about a few topics, but damn it that's about as 100% accurate as you can get....I will wear the idioot tag on my hat like I'm freshwater fishing :) :) :)
Dont forget your vest and garden worms!

RyanF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.