BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having a talk with a trusted advisor & friend about the difference between Saltwater Fishing as a hobby or is it a passion and/or a inner need to go fishing. I got to thinking about it.

With me? besides the latter point above, - it has become a matter of personal freedom. I have fished my whole life both recreationally & commercially I was wondering what people here think, is Fishing " a hobby"?. Are you ready to give it up, sell your boat at a major loss - take up Golf?

It has been a very good thing to see many of us ( here) rally around our common cause, in regards to the Federal Government trampling our rights as Americans. They have worked around a bad law, ( revised Magnusen Act) with the encouragement of Pew Foundation, - a special interest group -to severely curtail us from Recreational Fishing all over our country, - from Alaska to Maine. They do so with made up lies in regards to what we are catching.

Next up - they are looking to institute, by Executive Order, vast swaths of our oceans and lakes as Marine Preserves. This will further restrict us. This is unacceptable, we require a seat at the table, - Congressional review, surely not to rush to judgement on this matter. Is it so much to ask other rather than a quick Executive Order?

America needs small business to lead the charge out of this recession. People engaged in any business in regards to Fishing, are for the most part - Small Business. They do provide important jobs, serving our coastal community's. The government is in the process of starving just about anyone I know in a Fisheries related business to the point, it will be hard to continue on in business with further fishing restrictions.

It is by keeping us - those who use the resource - from fishing, resulting in the bleeding any fishery related business - to death.

If any of this pisses you off, it is time to rally with us, you must stop treating fishing as "your hobby" - treat it as a freedom ( that you enjoy) is being removed from you, with the help of a radical special interest group.( PEW) Step up, get involved, and help us - help ourselves in this matter.

Think just one simple thing "The Government is taking your freedom from you" we are being denied, fair and equitable representation at the table. Current (bad) FIsheries Laws are being circumvented by a radical set of people, who no longer want anyone fishing.

This has gone too far, time to work the matter back to the center, where it belongs.

I am asking for more help from more of our readers, & members , now is the time to step up - help our just cause. We need letters signed, people to attend our rally in Washington, and/ or money sent to RFA or SSFFF.

We have good people around here on the front line of the battle, Capt TB, Capt Adam Nowalsky, ( among others) we are joined by the Commercial Fishing Community - RFA, SSFFF & other concerned organizations. They are all right here on The Bass Barn.com reporting what is happening - as it happens.

Let them know, we appreciate the fact they are representing us, and are fighting for our freedom to pursue our happiness as Free Americans.

If you are on the fence, silent, or inactive in this matter and consider Salt Water Fishing as a Hobby,
then help those who are working for you for fair treatment in our Law Making Process

Do not fear what we seek, - we seek fair and equitable management of our Nation's Fisheries, which results in long term sustainability. To allow us American Citizens who like to fish, to be able to do so in a free and responsible manner with Fisheries Laws we have a say in and will respect in the end.

Thank you for helping us - we really need it right now!

Captn Joe

· Registered
817 Posts
I say its a freedom and God given right, but the government will tell you its a privilige that has to be taxed, and all the sheep here are willing to shell out their cash for licenses, are all idiots, imo. I seem to differ than most here who are willing to bendover all the time to fish.
Problem here in America:
"THEY" will tell you what to eat, drink, where to live, what medications u can and cant have, what to think. Why should American's think for themselves when "THEY" can do it for ya?

I'm a rebel at heart, and I proudly say "F the man"!!!:razz:

· Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey luvtofish,
Thanks for the reply - I can trade the SW registration easily for a NJ License, although I have been long opposed to that idea. The playing field has already changed, they say we need a different Data Collection Method, and to that - I must agree. ( since they are using MRFFS as a weapon against us)

It does however - come at a cost. Typical Government BS.

You going to Washington to the rally?

Captn Joe

· Registered
28,805 Posts
far from a hobby for me.. its a passion.. if i had enought money i would fish every single day i could get out.. i would travel the world to just fish and fish and fish... if i everr get rich i want the chance to just find ports to fish and store it in my memory bank... and i want the chance to pass on the passion to a few kids of my own and ones that aren't mine.. fishing to me is a way of life and not something i do to get out of the house

· Registered
12,974 Posts
If you are willing to get on a runaway train without knowing where it is headed then, stay home and do nothing!
It is about time that we fight back and become the engineer of this runaway train and protect our future and freedoms by standing together and fighting for our rights! :fighting:

· Registered
2,112 Posts
Sounds like you want to be like Kil! :DLOL

far from a hobby for me.. its a passion.. if i had enought money i would fish every single day i could get out.. i would travel the world to just fish and fish and fish... if i everr get rich i want the chance to just find ports to fish and store it in my memory bank... and i want the chance to pass on the passion to a few kids of my own and ones that aren't mine.. fishing to me is a way of life and not something i do to get out of the house
RIGHT ON ROCK!!!!!:thumbsup:

If you are willing to get on a runaway train without knowing where it is headed then, stay home and do nothing!
It is about time that we fight back and become the engineer of this runaway train and protect our future and freedoms by standing together and fighting for our rights! :fighting:

Capt.Joe I dont care what they do I will never stop fishing.It is my life my hobby and my pastime! AND IT IS THE ONLY BAD HABIT I HAVE LEFT!!:fighting:

· Registered
4,021 Posts
For the people who don't like fishing or have never done it they consider it a hobby. For the people who have caught the fever and are addicted its a passion.
Even that is a little bit of an understatement. I think the amount of thought, money, passion, etc. that most of us put into this "hobby" would rival and far surpass most crackheads and junkies in the pursuit of thier fix. Scrapbooking and knitting are hobbies, fishing for us is an addiction. I bet you and your dad almost spend more money on this "hobby" than I make in a year.

· Registered
817 Posts
Capt Joe,

Sorry I don't parade and fight with words, totally useless today in a PC America, the rich get what they want since they have all the lawyers and money...:huh:

I agree with now is the time to act but more than a march demostration in DC, like who will even notice...
Why don't all the commercial guys dump there days catch on white house lawn. Stop fishing to drive prices up thru roof. Cause pain its your only way to do something.

· Registered
12,974 Posts
Capt Joe,

Sorry I don't parade and fight with words, totally useless today in a PC America, the rich get what they want since they have all the lawyers and money...:huh:

I agree with now is the time to act but more than a march demostration in DC, like who will even notice...
Why don't all the commercial guys dump there days catch on white house lawn. Stop fishing to drive prices up thru roof. Cause pain its your only way to do something.
IMHO with that kind of defeatist attitude you are a big part of the problem and not any help for a solution!:huh:

· Registered
1,436 Posts
It's a lifestyle...

· Registered
28,805 Posts
Sounds like you want to be like Kil! :DLOL

RIGHT ON ROCK!!!!!:thumbsup:

Capt.Joe I dont care what they do I will never stop fishing.It is my life my hobby and my pastime! AND IT IS THE ONLY BAD HABIT I HAVE LEFT!!:fighting:
capt if i got to fish half the time kil does and half the places i would concider myself lucky.. kil works hard i am sure and fishes even harder... would love the chance though :)

· Registered
817 Posts
Rocky,

Hey if you actually believe peaceful march in dc will make a change more power to you, go march, I personally don't.

You need to send a message a dire consequences to our government.
When you organize a demonstration by getting all commercial guys to give their catch to the teamsters to ship to DC to be piled up all over the streets. The smell of stinking fish for days would send a message to the white house and capital, call me I love F'n the man.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Capt Adam,

Yeah I can see you running Open Cart Golf outings - right:D I mean we are getting nickeled and dimed to death here. Why is that Fluke fishing is a big no no in Oct??? Why do the Governement JO's only want us Sea Bass Fishing in June? Its just too much to bear....

I always said I don't golf because at the end of the day, you put the flag back in the hole, - AND There is nothing dead to eat for dinner:D

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Not ready to give it up and doing everything in my power to stop it.
I've signed petetions and written letters.
See you in DC
I'ts a passion for me and my boys and grandson.
Nothing beats a day on the water with them:thumbsup:

· Registered
12,974 Posts
Rocky,

Hey if you actually believe peaceful march in dc will make a change more power to you, go march, I personally don't.

You need to send a message a dire consequences to our government.
When you organize a demonstration by getting all commercial guys to give their catch to the teamsters to ship to DC to be piled up all over the streets. The smell of stinking fish for days would send a message to the white house and capital, call me I love F'n the man.
I hear what you are saying but, we have to start somewhere and this march in DC on the 24th is it. If only 100 guys show up at the protest that will be ok with me, because I will be one of the hundred fishermen that cared enough to be there!

I would love to have you and the other fishermen sitting on the fence to join us. It is only one day, one important day that can make a difference for all of us!:thumbsup:

· Registered
2,313 Posts
We have the RIGHT to FISH
The Government does NOT have The PRIVILEDGE
To STOP US!!

EVERYBODY BE THERE!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.