BASS BARN banner

Is Sea Bass Open for Comms Now?

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  phillyfishing 
#1 ·
I don't know how accurate the info is, but a friend of mine told me he has a comm friend who supposedly has been out sea bassing (out of NJ) and that they're allowed 1000 lbs. I figured maybe bycatch, but supposedly they are targeting them. I thought comm season closed shortly after ours was closed last year and did not reopen. Anyone know?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I think it is still open because they never caught their quota. I THINK they are limited to 1 landing(trip) per week at 1000lb trip limit OR they could also have two landings in a week at 500lbs per landing. However, like I said as far as I know their quota has not been filled and having to run 50 to 70 miles to pot sea bass in winter it probably won't be filled as it isn't all that worth it for the small trip limits that are imposed.
2010 quota? Didn't the emergency closure apply to both comms and recs? Is there a separate bycatch quota? Seems we (recs) should be allowed a bycatch quota as well. I was also told that they guys were fishing rod and reel, not pots (not that it really matters).

Hearing this, if true, doesn't sit right with me. I can understand allowing bycatch, but they're out there supposedly targeting bsb to fill that allowable "bycatch". Maybe it's just bad/partial info that I received and I obviously know very little about the comm regs, so I shouldn't get so worked up about it...

Discussion starter · #11 ·
minglewood, thank you for that info.

Adam, I saw that thread and I agree with you. This whole thing flat out sucks. I'm sure the comm guys may be saying the same thing.

I wonder how the current 2010 comm quota compares to the 2009 comm quota and how it compares to our 2010 rec quota and proposed season(which will hopefully be increased after that decision a couple of weeks back...now I guess we're waiting on pat kurkel/nmfs).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.