BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Fancy restaurant yesterday, and on special was "Skate fish"
It was very good. The meat was white and tender, it had lots of lines or grooves in it. My question is, is this the same skate / ray type fish we catch in new jersey or is it different?

· Registered
417 Posts
One and the same. I always keep a couple for a friend of mine who tells me they taste like Scallops. He removes the wings, pulls the skin off and usually grills, fries, or bakes them. Never had it myself though. Good fishing and eating.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
it was rumored back in the 70's that a lot of what was being sold as scallops were actually the meat from skate wings chopped out with a cookie cutter. Much like Mako and swordfish, scallops and skate does taste the same.....

· Registered
753 Posts
A few years ago I was fishing with my Dad and all we caught all week were skates. He said he use to eat them as a kid so we thought WTF. Soaked them in ice and lemon juice after catching them to break down the urea. Fried them up and they were not bad. Later I found a recipe for barbecued Skate and you leave them on the cartilage and grill them like a rack of ribs. Taste excellent. Skate should never smell like ammonia just like shark. You need to break down the urea in the wing as soon as you catch them or at the very least put the wing on ice. A little lemon juice and water is the best but not so much that the wing gets a lemony taste. Soak for at least 3 hours. There is no easy way to skin them and on the bottom they have nasty barbs on the skin of the wing. A very slight ammonia smell is acceptable but it should not have any smell at all. Do not eat or buy them if they smell like ammonia.

Funny thing was last year whenever I have had a craving for grilling some skate wings I could not catch one. :D

· Registered
1,474 Posts
You never heard skates being called poor man scallops.
British people like them. I was giving them to a british guy next to me on the normak once.
Gave me a dollar for every 2 skates.
The fluke weren't biting that day but the skates were. Made 5 bucks that day.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
lemon and browned butter

A classical preparation, "a la meuniere" works as a simple, quick way to prepare any thin, flakey filet type fish.

Regardless of size or number of pieces the essential idea is:

Salt
Pepper
Flour
Olive oil
Butter
Fresh lemons, quartered
Parsley, chopped

1) Heat large saute pan with oil to coat, on medium-high heat

2) pat fish dry, season liberally with salt and pepper

3) Flour, shaking off excess

4) Lay pieces in pan, taking care not to overcrowd and thus lower the temperature of the cooking surface, cook 2 1/2 minutes first side or til lightly browned and crisp, flip, let cook another 2 minutes or until done. Remove filets to serving dish or plate.

5) Return pan to heat and add roughly one ounce of butter per portion to be sauced...once butter melts pay careful and close attention to it as it cooks, you'll smell it getting "toasty" or nutty before you'll see it. The idea is to let the butter jusssssssst approach the color of a dark peanut butter. Care is needed because it can go from a lovely, fragrant hazelnut brown to bitter and burnt in a half second. At this stage you've got whats known as "beurre noissette" or hazelnut butter.

6) when butter reaches the desired light brown color (it will smell lovely) remove from heat and squeeze a 1/4 of a lemon for each serving directly into the pan. This will cool it enough halt the browning...toss in a fistful of chopped parsely, give it a swirl to combine, and pour over the fish while hot :thumbsup:

It takes longer to read my detailed, anal instructions than to actually execute this dish. Once tried, tweaked, and played with a few times you can dial it in to your own preference salt/flavorwise. Its a perfect example of "less is more" type cooking. Its easier to hide mistakes with dishes that contain 88 exotic ingredients...cooking a perfect piece of fish with a lemon and a stick of butter is simple but takes some care and skill to make truly wonderful.

Enjoy

· Registered
827 Posts
Wow, I would have never guessed that these were good to eat.

Now, if only Sea Robins and Sand Sharks were tasty, I'd never get skunked again :D !!

I found this video also. Looks like a good "how to" video to dress a skate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M28rl2UK5og&feature=related
As a kid - my Grand Father would take as many Skake as he could -- skin the wings and the meat was between the cartilage in the wings.. White and delicious .

Sea Robins -- they would take and make into a bouillabaisse soup.

Sand Sharks --- had them to --- white meat past the dorsal fin --- try it wont kill ya,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.