BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about towing my 23' cc to green harbor this coming fall tuna run. Would Stellwagen be considered offshore?

I have read alot about a pretty good consistent bite happening every fall. Has anyone fished for Tunas with jigs or poppers? Or is trolling the preferred way?

Are there other options during the fall run if Stellwagen is unattainable?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't really consider stellawagon bank offshore, it's only about 6 miles from land. It is about 17 miles from green harbor though and the weather can make it tough to get there. If you go in the fall you might only have a few fishable days a week there in a 23' and the fishable days might be 3-5'. People catch the bluefin trolling, live bait, jigging and popping. Some methods work better than others depending on the day and experience of the crew. If you can't catch tuna they also have one of the best dog shark bites there is!:D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Safety

I see many boats fishing Stellwagen for BFT in the fall with 23' boats. I would not push it unless the weather conditions were good. From Green Harbor, it is 14 NM to the SW corner of the bank and you venture from there often a little further to the east or down into Cape Cod Bay. During that time of year you can get fish trolling but I recommend find feeding fish and throwing a good popper or a sluggo at them. Also live bait will work well also. If you have any additional questions, pleae feel free to PM me and I will help you out.

Respectfully,

Capt Dave

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
just charter someone

For what it would cost you you can get a few guys and be comfortable and safe. i know catching fish on your own boat is greatand all but weigh the pros and cons 3-5's in a 23 cc make for a bad day or none at all. just my two cents. Good luck in whatever your decision is:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Why charter someone...he can easily take is 23 footer out on a good day and make a successful catch. Find the fish and have fun. Heck..their are guys in kayaks out there catching them. Some days the tuna are 200 yards off the beach. Give it a go..if it is to rough head back in. With method...find the fish and do what you do best. Trolling, jigging, casting, all work if you know what you are doing.

If the weather is bad...really no other options for tuna.

Catchemup!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have a good idea. I need a couple more to fill out my Cod and Groundfish trip on 20 May on the the Relentless. Come on up and chat with one of his guys.

I have three for 20 May so far. 21 May is filled however.

email me if interested at all and ill give you the details.

[email protected]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see many boats fishing Stellwagen for BFT in the fall with 23' boats. I would not push it unless the weather conditions were good. From Green Harbor, it is 14 NM to the SW corner of the bank and you venture from there often a little further to the east or down into Cape Cod Bay. During that time of year you can get fish trolling but I recommend find feeding fish and throwing a good popper or a sluggo at them. Also live bait will work well also. If you have any additional questions, pleae feel free to PM me and I will help you out.

Respectfully,

Capt Dave
Thanks Dave definitively will.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a good idea. I need a couple more to fill out my Cod and Groundfish trip on 20 May on the the Relentless. Come on up and chat with one of his guys.

I have three for 20 May so far. 21 May is filled however.

email me if interested at all and ill give you the details.

[email protected]
Thanks Dave. I will think about it. Always wanted to try cod fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.