BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to fish on party boats leaving out of Captree on the south shore of Long Island usually around April/May for mackerel with my dad...

I saw a few reports of people going for them around here in January...

Do they come by again in the Spring?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Snapper4,
Yes. A few of the local partyboats down in CapeMay target the Spring Mackerel Run usually sometime in April..

And from what I have been hearing the North Jersey Fleet has just been crushing them this winter..

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Originally posted by AUNT EDNA:
The prime time for mzcks around Cape May is April 15 When the ocean temp reaches 46 degrees.
I agree, give or take a week. Sometimes they hang around a little, other times you get a little window and they're outta here. I may jump on a party boat this year, tired of buying them every week for sharking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they ever come up outside of the GE Inlet? Or do you have to go down to Cape May to get them... (Can you get a party boat out of AC that doesn't travel far offshore...)

·
Registered
829 Posts
The fish are known as Boston Mackerel,every spring they swim to Boston to spawn.These fish swim about 18-20 miles a day.Prime time for Cape May is April 15, each 20 miles north of Cape May add one day to April 15th.This is a good rule of thumb.
EDD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts