BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any steps we can take to stop and prevent future beach replenishments? I've researched the pros and cons and only pros r more gentle sloping beaches for beach goers and swimers. There r more than enough cons to make any logical thinking person to discontinue these types of efforts. We as fisherman have every right to enjoy our beaches like swimming beach goers. I feel it's discriminatory and a waste of tax payer dollars when a big enough storm can jus come in and eat up all tht money(sand) they jus pumped in. Harmful to the local Eco system...... I'm sick of ppl
I hate most ppl period u don't like it step in my shoes live the life I've lived see wht insaw u feel tht way to. Oh I want a house on the beach and I want other tax payer to help protect my house from the ocean tht I jus built my house next to. Sic is crowded enough nowadays during the warm season we don't need to attract more ppl here which is another reason they give for pumping sand on the beach, it's actually they main reason. Ppl will come here regardless don't take away something I enjoy so much jus so some ppl sit on a beach or stand in the water (cause no one swims they frolic lol) give me my beaches back. I hate all government angencies and municipalities I wish I could burry u in sand! Even the preserve to the north at corsens they pumped sand! Like can we in sic please have one stretch of natural occurring beaches please I would give my left nut and a kidney to have jus one mile stretch to be left alone for mother nature to deal with the way it was for years and years til Someone decided oh let's start dredging the ocean and put it on a beach.
Is there any way to fight and prevent beach replenishment? Gota put this law degree to good use some how!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Simple equation for politicians... the shore + tourists + safe & accessible beaches x lots of sunny summer days = boku billions of bucks. They will do whatever they must to ensure that people continue to spend their tourism money at the shore. There are a lot more of "them" than "us".

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Mu Fish,........I feel your pain. The beach in Avalon now is being raped. the sand they moved is being removed by Mother as they deposit it. The "borrow" zone is a war zone. I was on the beach today.:eek: It's a damn shame.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
^ And...the natural progression is for the Winter storms to take this sand away...great job security for the Army Corps of engineers...

There may be more effective ways of dealing with the natural erosion and accretion of sand. I believe the Army Corps does the initial study and decides how to proceed. At least that's how it is in NNJ....and it is a cryin shame, as areas that were full of life and extremely productive are now nothing but flat sand beaches without structure.....:(

I don't know if there are any effective long-term solutions, MuFish, but from a surf fishing perspective this replenishment ruins everything...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing is the winter is over the boat was delayed because of needing repairs in Camden before it got here this work was to be started in nov. But didn't start til Jan. Destroyed tue Eco system of the whole island it's no life in the water except the birds even the back bay is stained really bad right now from tht crap

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no replenishment....no beach.......simple!
U can't be serious? How long ago did beach replenishment start? U do realize these beaches been around alot longer than us? Beaches r a tourist attraction an I get all tht but some where on the island needs to be left to nature. Beaches will replenish itself as it has for hundreds and hundreds of years. And if not it's natures course. How many times has man destroyed x, y, z? At least if a beach is lost it was lost naturally unlike most thins we come in contact with.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
U can't be serious? How long ago did beach replenishment start? U do realize these beaches been around alot longer than us? Beaches r a tourist attraction an I get all tht but some where on the island needs to be left to nature. Beaches will replenish itself as it has for hundreds and hundreds of years. And if not it's natures course. How many times has man destroyed x, y, z? At least if a beach is lost it was lost naturally unlike most thins we come in contact with.
this was true before they put jetties and sea walls up,once they are put up they block the natural currents

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this was true before they put jetties and sea walls up, they block the natural currents
Tht supports my claim of man destroyig x, y, z. We tried to change the look and structure of something tht has been taking care of itself for longer than we been here. So something we did however long ago with the rocks is costing us millions upon millions every year. And if the jetties r the cause of the problem or don't permanently solve the problem then maybe they should look at overall cost of taking them out against the long term savings of not having to replenish beaches every time a storm comes along.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
People being able to go to the beach IS the economy of the whole coast. No beach = no economy.

I'm a fisherman, but let's keep our priorities straight. The economy is more important than providing ideal fishing conditions.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
MuFish..JoeyZ has a very logical point. :thumbsup:
Look at Long Branch, Atlantic City, Cape May, LBI, Brigantine, Wildwood, Ocean City...

billions of $$. of real estate along just those areas alone....the public has a vested interest in protecting that...I'm not necesarily talking about residential housing, but the Commercial development that draws tourists in, many of them from other countries and thousands of miles away..

While we fishermen spend millions to support the local economies we fish in, I imagine if you compared stats to what is spent on tourism and dollars coming into these areas from people who live outside the towns mentioned, that figure would probably greatly exceed the dollars we spend as fishermen....

The way gov't works (sometimes) is that which is for the greater good, takes precedence over something that is perceived as the lesser good...

And whether ya like it or not,,,,the powers that be are more inclined to look at the people coming into these areas with high end luxury vehicles, buying high end jewelry, eating at the best restaurants, and spending thousands at a time, as more important than the fishing concerns of a few lowly and smelly :nuts:(I don't know about you, but that characterizes me, when I've been out there for awhile) :eek: fishermen....

We can't even get real numbers as a group to show force in a fishermens March on Washington...how do you expect to get any politicians to cater to us as a group of surf fishermen?
Food for thought...

MuFish, E-mail me when ya get a chance..I have some thoughts about the dredging in your area....

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Just give your Billion dollars to all the towns that depend on tourism $$$ to keep from becoming GHOST Towns and/or locations where you can just SEE the Ocean from a Highway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mu Fish. If you remove the jetty as you suggest then you ate going to piss off a bunch of surfers. Also it doesn't make sense to remove the jettys as it is the little bit of structure available on your fishing grounds. There is always the option of traveling to new fishing areas. Part of the enjoyment of fishing is to try different locations. Besides it is not the end of the world. One or two good storms and the efforts of dredging will wash away as it always does.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All valid points I'm jus stubborn I guess. And maybe this year I will travel around to different places. My heart is in sea isle its been my destination for 33 years. And bbum ur right I realize tht I mean 09' was the highlight of my short striper fishing life and tht was the year we had tht big storm and I never saw our beaches with more structure than I have tht year I mean I have pics of the beaches I fished tht year as I do every year and wht i wouldnt give to see our beaches like tht all year long i jus wish we lives in a world tht let nature take it's course. I know we r at the bottom of the barrel and we ain't got much power with our numbers so it is wht it is I jus wanted to voice my frustrations. Sea isle is my second home my home away from home my paradise if u will and I jus hate seeing it ruined. I know there r and have been better places to fish te surf but Thts another reason I find sea isle so appealing and more satisfying to me cause it's harder takes more work idk I'm a Lil weird I guess. And can't really explain it with words.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
...so it is wht it is I jus wanted to voice my frustrations. Sea isle is my second home my home away from home my paradise if u will and I jus hate seeing it ruind. I know there r and have been better places to fish te surf but Thts another reason I find sea isle so appealing and more satisfying to me cause it's harder takes more work idk I'm a Lil weird I guess. And can't really explain it with words.

I understood those words fine MuFish....the passion and the love you have for surf fishing rang true to me with each of those sentences you typed...:thumbsup:.people like you, FishinCrazy, and others have been making complaints like that for years....sometimes it seems like no one is listening because there is not enough galvanized support.....just people like you, here and there, voicing their opinion....:cool:

Unfortunately in this country what gets action is PACS that support fishermen causes...as you see how things are done in this game, more and more the politicians have no use for a few of us ranting and raving, no matter how passionate we sound...:wave:

So if you get upset again...try to find a PAC (political action committee) that you feel supports your interests...try to send them some $$ or lend support....if you could get 1000 other guys together who felt the same way you do, someone would listen.....

Some people in this world have forgotten what it is like to be passiionately "for" or "against" a cause, passionate enough to rally in the streets in support of it....but you haven't....and thanks for voicing your opinions, that's one of the freedoms our forefathers fought for....

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Look into any eyes
you find by you, you can see
clear through to another day
I know it's been seen before
through other eyes on other days
while going home --
What do you want me to do,
to do for you to see you through?
It's all a dream we dreamed
one afternoon long ago

it's just a box of rain
I don't know who put it there
it's a long long time to be gone
and a short time to be there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.