BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the last few days being so warm I feel like I should be out fishing. Matter of fact this is the earliest I have ever gotten calls from guys who wanted to go out and fish. I had two calls this weekend, with guys asking if the fish are hitting yet in the back bay. They thought with the warm weather the action would have started already. They seemed surprized when I told them the water is still too cold and it will take awhile longer.

I know how they feel. When I looked at Delaware bay and the ocean front this weekend, wearing a light shirt and feeling warm, with zero wind, it felt like an April day.

I am getting restless and I atleast got away and got some fishing in. I don't know if that helps or makes the wait worse.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ray,
It may not be too long. Last year I had a bunch of bass the second week of March right where we were anchored up next to each other last December. Just a few more degrees!!! Took a walk along the CM beach on Sunday , and boy was my blood pumping- ocean was flat as a pancake and had that greenish-blue color it gets in August, and I even saw two boats on the edge of the rips. Glad you had some fun in the keys- I've spent a lot of time fishing in the Key-Largo- Islamorada area in years past , and the possibilities are endless. I've got a photo of John Donnell attempting to grab a 125 lb tarpon for me over my fly-tying bench just to remind me of where I 'd rather be at any given moment!!!
See you soon,
Tom

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's warm out and I'm stuck inside an office working when I rather have a pair of waders on flicking a wet fly into a run hoping for a nice trout to hit. How painfull is this?!?!

[ 03-02-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian Winter flounder might be the answer. If it warms up that might do it.

Never Better That is good to know. Where do you launch that time of year? I stopped by my Harbor view where I moor and it looked like the launch ramp is no more. He said he was going have it for those that had slips but right know it is gone. That was one of my main reasons for mooring there, cause I like to pull my boat now and again at take it elsewhere to fish.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ray,
Last year I put in at BZL in March. Meant to take a ride by this weekend to check out the ramp , but forgot. Used to put the old Whaler in behind the Anchorage in a pinch in the very late/ very early season, but the new boat is probably a little big for that act- you might get away with your boat, assuming you have 4wd.
Tom

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray It doesn't help, the wait still s :D :D
s. Ron

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sparse, it is bad. Took a walk down the beach with my wife this afternoon 4;00 TO 5:30 just as the front was clearing and getting sunny. There was a southeast or southerly wind and the water was clean and looked fishy. It is hard to except reality. Looked like there were two boats down in the rips. That didn't help at all.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never Better BZL might be the only ramp left in Cape May Harbor. I thought they didnt open till April. If they open early I will have to try something when my boat gets back from Fla. I would even settle for a cold joy ride. If lucky maybe some shad or herring might even be around. What were you using early season last year?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Same as December-rubber, low & slow. Also had some at the tip of the S. jetty on slack high, beginning of outgoing in about 30' of water- somewhat difficult to get a clouser that deep.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Already was out on a boat Feb 27 in the Del Bay. Water was pretty calm, except when crossing
the mouth of Maurice. Air temp in the 60's, water temp in the 30's, face frozen when I got splashed. No fish around, but it was a nice day to get out. I probably won't start striper hunting until April in my secret creeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts