BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think 10 years may be a little excessive. However I could support a 3 to 5 year ban with carefully controlled harvests for another 5 years

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Stripers are destined to go the same path as red snapper.
I do not know what the correct answer is but they must be protected and the laws must be enforced

Reactions: Hardtop

·
Registered
311 Posts
Try eliminating the commercial fishery for 5 years. The rec guys are already down to 1 slot fish 28-35" per day. Those regs are very restrictive already and protect the big breeders.. No shortage of 18-22" fish in the Chesapeake.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The commercial harvest inside the bays has to come to an End , this happened 30 years ago in Florida and they have never seen better fishing in our lifetime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stop all commercial fishing for 5 years and restrictions have to apply to the whole east coast. Each state has to follow the same rules.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you want fish catch them yourself... I understand that it will put a lot of people out of work tho. It's a tough situation but rec. anglers always seem to get the crap end of the stick. All the regs. sucked for years which is why we are in this situation. Way too many big bass killed for too many years. Flounder regs screwed flounder fishing up. When I first joined TBB bucktail willy told us 18" flounder are all females.
I'm just happy to have something to fish for.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I copied the above graph from the ASMFC site. Unfortuneatly I think the recreational fisherman may be more to blame than the commericial fisherman when it comes to stripers.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is the ASMFC is same bunch of geniuses that manages weakfish and summer flounder? I wouldn't believe anything from them. Rec guys are down to 1 slot fish. If we have to go lower than that then they better totally close it and that should include targeting stripers for catch and release. I don't think that is necessary. I fish almost everyday mid May - Nov, with lures for stripers on the upper Chesapeake. Last 2 years have been great for schoolie size. I don't see all the doom and gloom.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There are so many red snapper that are a nuisance in the gulf of mexico and they're still considered endangered, they placed jewfish aka goliath grouper on the endangered species list 25 years ago, try fishing off southern Florida without having one take whatever you're trying to reel in off your line. Sharks are on the list too. Hate to rant but it might be my last trip off the OBX this year for tuna, who wants to lay out 2400.00 to feed the sharks. They'll restrict or ban harvest of the bass and that will be the end of it, don't know what the answer is but it ain't in a 10 year moratorium. 10 years will turn into 20 just as easily as 2 weeks turned into a year to flatten the curve.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I copied the above graph from the ASMFC site. Unfortunately I think the recreational fisherman may be more to blame than the commericial fisherman when it comes to stripers.
BillV - I have to fully agree with your post. The commercial fishing industry always is the easiest to blame when stocks drop and there are concerns. That is not the case when it comes to striped bass. The recreational fisherman hammer striped bass stocks. You reap what you sew.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Nobody Knows the discard rate of striped bass or the mortality rate of releases .... Chesapeake bass 18 to 28 inches gill netted all die . Netting in the Bay is the true problem because the netting takes all when the net is put across the channel...

·
Registered
311 Posts
In Delaware they put out gill drift nets while the big spawners are heading up the river. I've seen them unloading giant spawners at Cedar Swamp ramp. Rec guys can't even keep these fish. So go ahead and drink their cool-aid and believe its the rec guys with their one slot fish per day that is the problem. Same story on the Chesapeake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Fisherman Magazine has deployed sat tags on 5 breeders off NY and the data the recover is completely different as to what people think about the migration of the striped bass. most of the tracking after their release track these fish outside the 3 mile line and as far off as the shelf. I this is new data showing different of what we have been told how can we really know the population. I am guessing they are like Salmon and return to its birth place, that being said maybe one area (Delaware Bay) has seen something causing the decline in fish population while other (hudson, montauk) have a stronger foothold. Since you cant fish for Stripers past the 3 mile line you will not hear of stories of catches or schools seen out there in my opinion that is a closely guarded secret.

·
Registered
20,266 Posts
Everybody is guilty on this one.. so I guess everyone should take the hit. There is mad striper killing going on commercially, recreationally and as by-catch... then add in the wrinkle of how can you manage something where the science being collected is off center and then those making the decisions are not even paying attention to that?

I hate to say it but this on/off switch may be the only long term answer, although just plain logic tells you that no comm., low by-catch, and mid-sized slots may be the best alternative.

Either way, it is a big sh*t sandwich and we are all going to take a bite of it...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The sandwiches that have been made are almost impossible to swallow at this point in time. The #’s are so skewed that the people that are putting them out don’t believe them .

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Scary situation, wrong people making big decisions. Decisions that affect a lot of peoples lively hood, marina's, charter/party boats, tackle shops, boat repairs... Hopefully they keep it at 1 fish rather then season's/closures. Maybe start going after poachers, increase fines big time. Use that fine money towards accurate information to make the regs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts